"Adventure" on board Prinsendam last night

chanteur

The way I am looking at not hearing ANYTHING about this unfortunate bad weather incident with the Prinsendam is:

No news is Good News!!! I have checked all of the Scottish News, papers, News Programs etc., and NOTING about the Prinsendam. So even though I am scared for them all, I think no news is the best news.

Joanie

Not sure anything is newsworty. Cruise ship gets hit by a wave? Cruise ship suffers some minor damage? Cruisers experience a slight delay getting their dinner because of waves? Nah. Not newsworthy at all.

Hank

Hank, It was not a single rogue wave, it was a storm that lasted for at least an hour and a half at Gale Force 12. That is why I am worried.

Joanie

My parents just got home...All is well...50 windows broken and the bow was damaged. Just scary' date=' but they were very complimentary of the staff on board...very calm and professional. I am looking at their pictures. WOW![/quote']

Oh such good news!!!!

Thank You for letting us know!!! I have been so worried as, I know many others have also been. It has just been no news feeding fear....

Glad to hear they made it home safely!!

Joanie

The Countdown Kid! Of course I remember Joyce. :) She's on this Prinsendam cruise? More power to her!

I would love to hear her tale when she returns.

Yes - She was aboard ship.

Just heard from her that she's safely home now - Can't wait to hear more when I see her in a couple weeks!

Not sure anything is newsworty. Cruise ship gets hit by a wave? Cruise ship suffers some minor damage? Cruisers experience a slight delay getting their dinner because of waves? Nah. Not newsworthy at all.

Hank

Riiiight...

...not anything like what happened to Louis Majesty this spring or the big to-do in the news this week about the 2 year old video of Pacific Sun

:cool:

My parents just got home...All is well...50 windows broken and the bow was damaged. Just scary' date=' but they were very complimentary of the staff on board...very calm and professional. I am looking at their pictures. WOW![/quote']

I hope you will post some pictures. We have two Grands booked on the Prinsendam.

Karen :)

The worst part of the rocking and rolling went on for about 1.5 hours.

Up there in September ?

They're lucky it didn't last a day or two, or more :)

I grew up listening to the BBC shipping forecast and I see from the website the script hasn't changed much, if at all, in decades !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/shipping/

The wind numbers refer to the Beaufort scale, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale,

weather pressure readings are in millibars.

My personal best is surviving a full Beaufort Force 11 in the southern North Sea in December in a 150foot vessel !

Please post some of the photos here or upload them all to a web page and give us the link.

Thanks,

r.

Had a phone call this morning from my brother (Grumpy1). They are in London, heading to Belgium on next leg. They're doing 3 back to backs (44 days) and will disembark in Athens in October.

He didn't say where they were on the ship when the windows broke, but they didn't personally experience any problems. He did say there was a rumor about a video, so I sent him an e-mail clearing that up after reading this thread. I also saw it last week, but with no attribution to when or what ship.

Don't know if he plans to write later on or not. Since the first leg was so port intensive he told me he didn't plan to write anything.

I'm trying a new line in a few weeks - Princess for a New England tour. Hope it's a better experience that Royal C was last summer to Alaska. Still prefer HAL!

Lynn

I've, also, cruised in gale force winds, but nothing this strong. I'm thanful for all of the safety training that is done on board ships.

Imagine what terror the non-English speaking pax must be feeling, because they can't understand what the captain is saying. Has anyone cruised on a ship where Enlish is not the main language spoken? How were you able to understand the public announcements?

Is a staff or crew member assigned to check on you in case of an emergency?

Now that I know the passengers are safe I am anxious to hear more about the ship. Like bksunbuddies I have two grand voyages booked on Prinsendam so am curious as to the "fixing" schedule.

Also....when so many windows break in these high seas what breaks them? Is it just the force of the waves hitting them? Do they blow all the way out? If so....what keeps the ship from flooding?

Had a phone call this morning from my brother (Grumpy1). They are in London, heading to Belgium on next leg. They're doing 3 back to backs (44 days) and will disembark in Athens in October....

Lynn

It is always nice to hear good news about Grumpy and Slinky. Thanks for letting us know how they are doing.

Enjoy your Princess cruise!

I tip my hat to you.

Thanks, but it's nothing I did, I was "supernumary". Actually the weather is only half of it, equipment had gone overboard and fouled one prop with nothing to stop the other becoming similarly affected :(

But it didn't, so I'm still here :)

I've, also, cruised in gale force winds, but nothing this strong. I'm thanful for all of the safety training that is done on board ships.

Imagine what terror the non-English speaking pax must be feeling, because they can't understand what the captain is saying. Has anyone cruised on a ship where Enlish is not the main language spoken? How were you able to understand the public announcements?

Is a staff or crew member assigned to check on you in case of an emergency?

Many years ago before hubby retired from the US Army we were transferred from Germany to Greece. Since hubby was not allowed to go within a mile of any Communist borders (this was before 1989, when "The Wall" came down) we drove both of our cars to Italy and drove onto a Car Ferry from Italy to Piraeus, Greece. The crew all spoke Greek and Italian, very little English.

Same when we transferred back in 1986 to Germany, went from Piraeus to Venice, Italy.

When you are the only ones speaking your language and the crew does not understand you, it can be difficult, but also one heck of a UNIQUE experience:D, especially when you hit some rough water and cannot understand what is being said to you.

Joanie

In reply to your post about crewmembers keeping an eye out for you. We were on Prinsendam last year on a similar cruise round Britain about the same dates. It was rough windy and rainy for most of the trip and indeed we missed four ports altogether including Edinburgh as despite a tug fore and aft the high winds would not allow the ship to get into the lock there. As Captain Albert put it each time they tried Prinsendam took off alarmingly sideways. On our roughest day - when we were in fact fine - we were reading in the cabin about 3 pm when there was a knock on the door from our steward to see if we were alright or needing anything. As we thought he should have been off duty at this time we were very pleased and impressed. Nothing was too much trouble on the cruise, and believe me many passengers were very fed up with missing ports. Our other excitement - if you could put it that way was that at two different tender ports - Greencastle and Stornoway - when they came to raise the anchor they discovered it was attached to old World War 2 anchors. Unbelievable that the same thing happened twice. In both cases took some freeing up. We know this as apart from the delay we were in a cabin right upfront and we heard it all!!!! Apart from all this we really enjoyed the cruise and Prinsendam and feel that in the circumstances HAL was very generous with us. They have no control on the weather.

Captain Albert has updated his log and posted his schedule. No mention of the Force 12 Winds. Looks like the passengers just missed one port as he substituted a port that allowed everyone go see Nessie.

I think he may post the incident in tomorrow's blog. Today's blog post was for the 5th and 6th.

Joanie

Here's a random related question. There seems to be a website for everything these days, so it made me wonder, are there any websites that tell you the worst weather a cruise vessel hit during any given sail? I became curious because last year on Seabourn, we hit some crazy rough seas (i was unable to walk without being thrown into the walls LOL) and I was wondering what we encountered in specifc.

So, anyone know of any sites that track it?

Archived