Anyone else getting sick of this???

pmang

i take things that are said on here with a grain of salt. opinions are opinions and some think theirs is better than others. i have cruised several times before learning about this forum and had a wonderful time without knowing all the ins and outs. not to offend anyone, but after i started reading this forum, i was simply apalled that i possibly cruised with some of these people.:eek:

I can just imagine the impression people have of CC members after some of the postings I've read....To be perfectly honest, after my cruise I doubt I'll be back anyway. Way too much negativity spewed around here on a daily basis.

I only recently started reading John's blog. That was where I first heard of CC, and yes, it left me with a very bad impression. But I decided to check into it because I thought there was no way there was that much nastiness on one sight... and I was looking for a "fix" until I can cruise again. Sadly, I was wrong. I have been here every day this week and I have found only two threads (possibly a third with this one since I haven't read all the way through it yet) that did not degenerate into a "You're so stupid... why would you do that... it's because of people like you... I hope you're happy with yourself for being such a {insert uncomplimentary word}" and other forms of unpleasantness.

In the past I have belonged to an online community for the family and friends of prison inmates and also an online swingers community. The level of consideration for others evident in those venues was far above what I have seen here. People were polite and if someone disagreed they said so, explained their reason, and did it without name calling or belittling remarks.

I know some may read this and think I'm ranting with arms waving and wild eyes. I only wish you could see me so that you know this isn't the case.

I was looking for a pick-me-up... a chance to do some daydreaming... but I come away each day with less enthusiasm, less joy. What was supposed to be a fun escape has become a thing of sadness. I told myself I would give it at least two weeks, that I should allow t least that long to find something interesting/entertaining/informative without the bile. I don't know if I'll make it.

Totally agree with this thread. Disagree with above. It doesn't mean the opinions on CC usually have any impact but CC does seem to be known.

Huh? My post, which you “disagree” with said...

“I daresay most cruisers have never heard of cruise critic and have wonderful cruises without all of our excellent advice! "

Yet you "totally agree" with the OP, who said …

“I would make a guess that Cruise Critic members make up less then 3% of the cruising public. Don't get me wrong, I think this site has wonderful information and can be a great source of entertainment. I know all the cruise lines monitor these pages to see what's being discussed and they will get some good and bad feedback to utilize. I just feel that some people get a bit carried away with how important they and their opinions are......”

So, my post was agreeing with the OP who said that less than 3% (I said “most”) of cruisers are not on Cruise Critic and are not aware of our advice and experience, yet I assume they have wonderful cruises…. or they wouldn’t do it.

Where did I go wrong to earn your disapproval worth commenting on? I thought I “totally agreed” with the OP as well. :eek:

I don't know if any cruise company reads this.

But my statement is as good as any other statement that states the cruise companies read this site. Would you pay any one to read this, if it was your company.

"Would you pay any one to read this, if it was your company"

My Laugh of the Day! Great Line! No, I wouldn't.

I would just worry about satisfying the folks at the Guest Services desks today! :p

CC may represent a small percent of actual cruisers,

but even 3% is a lot of squeaky wheels. These

squeaky wheels can at times control the grease gun.

I just did a Google search:"How many people cruise a year?" Answer about 10 million.

As of a few minutes ago, there are 611,227 CC members.

That represents approximately .06% of cruisers.

Just saying.

I know probably CC members cruise more often than most and more than once a year.

Let's round it up to 1%.

JimmyJames

In response to the question "Would you pay anyone to read this?" (sorry, don't want to look back to see who originally posted it):

I know of several large corporations who do indeed pay people to monitor and manage the reputation of their product online. Part of a friend's job description is to summarize the "internet buzz" for her supervisor on a weekly basis.

Personally, I always read extensive product reviews (including cruise reviews) before buying something worth any amount of money, so this makes sense to me.

As to the OP's original point: I agree completely.

MACH,

Glad I kept reading because my fingers were itching to type this exact thought. The person who wrote this probably didn't think John would check the pole and was trying to push his own agenda. I really loved it when John called his bluff and found that the majority of respondants had the oposite opinion of what the poster was trying to sell John.

John often asks me about things said on this forum. I never give him my opinion of what's said... just offer him quotes from posts or a link to a thread... The same is true of that particular poll...

:)

I just did a Google search:"How many people cruise a year?" Answer about 10 million.

Just saying.

I know probably CC members cruise more often than most and more than once a year.

Let's round it up to 1%.

JimmyJames

The "INFLUENTIAL" Cruise critic members cruise 10 times a year at least! So its more like 10% to 25% of all cruisers!!!-------------------------------maybe not:D:D:D

It sounds like sometimes this site and its users get under his skin. But it's not important that this site bothers him at times or that he criticizes Cruise Critic.

At times, he makes excuses and just spins things for Carnival. In that respect, he is far from independent and gives you the company line. While there are certainly "cheerleaders" for Carnival and other lines on CC, I always believe Cruise Critic is a great source for balance information. Some of this information is NOT beneficial for cruise lines. These include how to save money and do better excursions on your own or with private vendors, how to save money on your cruise fare, and even how to avoid scams that benefit cruise lines such as shopping at Diamonds International (where cruise lines get kick backs). But this site gets people interested in taking cruises and exploring new ports, new countires, and even new continents. This site enhances my cruise experience much more than any cruise director ever will. That said, I hope Heald lines up some good entertainment on the cruise I am on with him as CD next August.

Oh, by the way, if you ever want to take a Med cruise, the Europe boards here will be a greater source of information than any PVP or travel agent. Those folks over there are incredible. I never sell this site short.

Just saying.

Let's round it up to 1%.

JimmyJames

Correction......6.11% would be CC folks (although many of the 611,000 members are not active members).

I say I did think it was great on my last cruise when we only had 28 CC members at the M&G (out of 3,400 pax) and the Captain, Head of Hotel Services, and the Asst Cruise Director spent some time with us. Sure made you feel important even though we really aren't.

BTW - What is the web address for John's blog? I've never read it.

Hummm... I know that Carnival monitors this board. I know it for a fact.

I've gotten emails from the folks that read it to tell me information or correct a misstatement that they read...

They'd be crazy NOT to read this forum...

You have got to be kidding me.

you must get 20 emails a day dealing with missinformation.

You missed the point completely... I never said people aren't entitled to their opinions and shouldn't post. Re-read what I originally wrote.... One persons opinion is fine when they are speaking for themselves... It's when people post their opinion and try to pass it off as they are the spokesperson for an angry mob and should be taken seriously.... or else!

Some people here assume that their opinion is worth more to the cruise line (or the public in general) because they post here. Threats are made almost daily in the name of cruise critic posters (ie - you better do what we say or we'll spread the word so you lose business).

Also.... the old "if you don't like it, don't read it" argument is extremely childish..... That's my opinion!

Fact is if you dont like what is being said, then dont read it even if YOU think its childish! CC does read whats said on here be it good or bad, if you think otherwise, then again thats YOUR opinion!

I once worked for a large company in the T&E business and was told by a marketing V.P. that when the company did mass mailing solicitations to it’s customers, they were thrilled when the response rate to that mailing was in excess of 3%. I thought it was interesting that the cost of the mailing could be offset by such a small (to me it was small) response from the customers. So I have to believe that if CC membership represents approximately 3% of the cruising public, why wouldn’t all the cruise lines monitor this site to get feedback on and ideas about their product… without the traditional marketing costs?

This is a direct soliciation.

Much like the comment cards on the ship ,not an uncontroled website.

You have got to be kidding me.

you must get 20 emails a day dealing with missinformation.

I am not kidding in the least.

The small stuff no one really cares about but more important or pressing issues I get email about.

You may not have noticed or read any of my posts but I get a huge amount of information directly from Carnival as answers to questions posed on this forum.

It's in Carnival's best interest that the information that people receive be as accurate as possible.

John often asks me about things said on this forum. I never give him my opinion of what's said... just offer him quotes from posts or a link to a thread... The same is true of that particular poll...

So, quotes or links that are in your opinion important, are what a blogger listens to.

This is the company person who monitors these boards.

It sounds like sometimes this site and its users get under his skin. But it's not important that this site bothers him at times or that he criticizes Cruise Critic.

At times, he makes excuses and just spins things for Carnival. In that respect, he is far from independent and gives you the company line. While there are certainly "cheerleaders" for Carnival and other lines on CC, I always believe Cruise Critic is a great source for balance information. Some of this information is NOT beneficial for cruise lines. These include how to save money and do better excursions on your own or with private vendors, how to save money on your cruise fare, and even how to avoid scams that benefit cruise lines such as shopping at Diamonds International (where cruise lines get kick backs). But this site gets people interested in taking cruises and exploring new ports, new countires, and even new continents. This site enhances my cruise experience much more than any cruise director ever will. That said, I hope Heald lines up some good entertainment on the cruise I am on with him as CD next August.

Oh, by the way, if you ever want to take a Med cruise, the Europe boards here will be a greater source of information than any PVP or travel agent. Those folks over there are incredible. I never sell this site short.

John doesn't criticize Cruise Critic... he criticizes some of it's USERS. He has nothing against Cruise Critic in the least but a few of the folks here use their membership as a perceived lever when criticizing him.

I can't blame him for getting miffed and I've apologized several times for their rude behavior...

Why is it that some people on CC will discredit anything (everything) you say if you don't have many posts? I frequent cruise critic when I have a cruise booked coming up soon for info on the boat, ports, and fellow cruisers/meet & greet info. I do not post often, as most of my questions are answered by simply reading the threads I am interested in. I do not live on CC and don't make a job of posting all day, everyday. I am shocked by the hostility I see in many members' responses. I have had outstanding cruises on several lines and I have had a couple of experiences (read: experiences, not whole cruises) that I would rate as less than stellar. Why are people judged by the amount of posts they make (and called trolls)? Why are some people so defensive of their favorite cruise lines? I have seen some people flamed for making a complaint and it being their first post. Isn't it human nature that most people do not take the time to write unless they have a problem? Not saying that is right or that I would do that but seriously people......why the hostility? If you don't agree with something, isn't there a civilized way to discuss an issue without being outright rude to fellow members? Sorry- just needed to vent. :confused:

This is a direct soliciation.

Much like the comment cards on the ship ,not an uncontroled website.

The point is that the cruise lines can save some time and expense of direct solicitation or any means of gauging the public's thoughts and ideas about their product by simply browsing this site. It shouldn't be (and I'm sure it isn't) their only source of information but it is a very low overhead source regardless.

Archived