An "AH-HA" moment

catrick

My husband is 6'4" and taking a shower in our stateroom was like him trying to squeeze in to a tuna can! A few cruises back my husband had an ah-ha moment while visiting the spa. The showers in there are huge compared to the ones in the staterooms. He has taken his showers in there ever since :-)... Curious if anyone else has had the lightbulb come on for an idea to get around common little problems while cruising that others may haven't thought of yet that you would like to share.

I'm 6'2 and can just fit in the showers with minimal discomfort. My wife and I have our routine down, she has preparation to do while I shower, and I have other preparation to do when she showers. If we were traveling more than just the two of us, this would be a great idea. I think my aha moment was when coming back from a day in port and too loaded down with stuff that I didn't want to walk from deck 1 up to deck 10 (I take the stairs 99% of the time) and the elevators are packed, I'll walk up one flight, then down the length of the ship to the front elevators and they are less busy.

SHHHHHHH! don't tell everyone the secret:D! It's great down there, not having to pass the slow folks or get run over by the speed merchants.

We walk early in the morning; around 6 a.m. Sometimes the stairs that go up to the bow of the ship are closed due to wind...otherwise it is a great track:D

My ah ha moment was when I realized I was packing way to much and stopped. I pack about half of what I used to.

I need to get my wife to read that one, coming from someone other than me, it might sink it. It would have helped if you were a woman.

One of my many AH-HA moments was realizing that the jogging track is nowhere near as good as walking/jogging the promenade deck. First 3 days of my cruise I felt like a hamster on a wheel with a hundred other hamsters and sun worshippers ...and then hubby discovered the promenade;)

You can't/shouldn't do that at Sunrise to 8am as people are sleeping under you.

You can't/shouldn't do that at Sunrise to 8am as people are sleeping under you.

It is also annoying if you are reading/relaxing/ napping on the Promenade deck to have joggers go thumping past. Walking is fine...a promenade is a stroll/walk! JMO

Several "ah-ha" moments for me.

• After six cruises on Carnival, staunchly insisting that a cruise vacation simply could NOT get any better, I tried Royal Caribbean (Adventure of the Seas). Wow! I've never looked back!
  • When I realized that there were more than reviews here on Cruise Critic. I've found great excursion advice, gotten copies of the Cruise Compasses for my upcoming cruise and discovered all sorts of things I didn't know before!
  • I found out that ordering a pot of coffee via room service was better than just a wake-up call. I can sip coffee while getting ready to go up to the Windjammer for breakfast!
  • Discovering that you can nearly always board the ship MUCH earlier than the boarding time the cruise line provides.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the first that came to mind.

I need to get my wife to read that one, coming from someone other than me, it might sink it. It would have helped if you were a woman.

Well... I am a woman and I can tell you I pack less than my DH and STILL end up putting clean clothes back into my suitcase. I will not be doing that in Dec. I will even be recycling clothes at dinner :eek:. 2 formal nights - 1 dress. 5 other nights- 3 outfits ... If I drop food all over myself (as I have been know to do on occasion) off to the laundry it goes. During the day I rarely wear anything but a swimsuit and cover-up anyway. Nearly every island we go to we choose water as our destination so I obviously do not need a shirt and pair of shorts for every day we are on the ship.....

I found out that ordering a pot of coffee via room service was better than just a wake-up call. I can sip coffee while getting ready to go up to the Windjammer for breakfast!

We also use room service as a wake up call, but our "ah ha" was how terrible the coffee is. So we order hot water and bring a French press and our own coffee.

IIRC on RCI you can get free coffee on the ship in disposable cup and lid. IS that still so? I remember on Voyageur, there was even a coffee shop were I could go for a free coffee.

Earlier this year, we were on the DREAM, and they don't give you coffees in disposible cups. If you want a 24/7 coffee, your options are room service or the WindJammer(?) Buffet. But, you are stuck using one of their little coffee cups and carrying that around. I saw a few people who brought their own coffee travel mugs - and I thought the idea was brilliant. I will be packign one in my suitcase next week.

My ah ha moment is when I found out what Rum Runner where! I'm joking :o I'm glad to say I havn't had a ah ha moment because I found CC before I started to cruise! So thanks everyone. Happy Cruising!!!!!!

I am so with you on this! Before CC, I was pretty clueless. I cannot say enough just how grateful I am to have found this site and to all those who have helped so graciously. I have an a-ha moment almost every single time I log on and find another helpful tip.:D

It is also annoying if you are reading/relaxing/ napping on the Promenade deck to have joggers go thumping past. Walking is fine...a promenade is a stroll/walk! JMO

I can definitely see your point. But running on a treadmill is not the same as actually running, and the track up top is almost impossible to actually run on.

We also use room service as a wake up call, but our "ah ha" was how terrible the coffee is. So we order hot water and bring a French press and our own coffee.

The coffee scenario on-board is bizarre. You can get good coffee, but you have to know where to go.

Great Coffee:Cafe Promenade / Chops & Portofino

Good Coffee:MDR / Windjammer

Terrible Coffee: Room Service

One of my many AH-HA moments was realizing that the jogging track is nowhere near as good as walking/jogging the promenade deck. First 3 days of my cruise I felt like a hamster on a wheel with a hundred other hamsters and sun worshippers ...and then hubby discovered the promenade;)

Just remember there are cabins below the promenade deck, so jogging noises carry through the ceiling. I had to call Customer Service on one of our cruises several days in a row to ask that security go out and stop the jogger at 6 AM.....:eek:

My Ah-ha moment was attaching plastic clothes pins to the bottom of a shower curtain; it keeps the curtain weighted down and does not suck to your body. I carry 4 clothes pins whenever I travel and use them on cruise ships and in hotels.

Just remember there are cabins below the promenade deck, so jogging noises carry through the ceiling. I had to call Customer Service on one of our cruises several days in a row to ask that security go out and stop the jogger at 6 AM.....:eek:

I might be wrong but I think there are signs on the Promenade deck that say "No Jogging" between the hours of 10:00pm and 8:00am or something like that.

Well... I am a woman and I can tell you I pack less than my DH and STILL end up putting clean clothes back into my suitcase. I will not be doing that in Dec. I will even be recycling clothes at dinner :eek:. 2 formal nights - 1 dress. 5 other nights- 3 outfits ... If I drop food all over myself (as I have been know to do on occasion) off to the laundry it goes. During the day I rarely wear anything but a swimsuit and cover-up anyway. Nearly every island we go to we choose water as our destination so I obviously do not need a shirt and pair of shorts for every day we are on the ship.....

I'm with ya on the packing... and I am a woman also. Going on Oasis in 57 days, and I am only packing a carry-on. All set for the formal nights, beach days, and anything in-between. Definately an AH-HA moment for me :)

I realized that the buffet is a great place to visit for an appetizer before going back to the cabin to get ready for the evening. When we first started cruising, we thought of the evening buffet only as an alternative dining venue.

I've also started to pack my travel pillow to bring out to the pool deck, as it makes the lounge chairs much more comfortable.

I tend to not drink enough water because I don't like the taste, but I figured that if I add a bit of lemonade to my water it becomes delicious flavored water.

My biggest AHA was discovering Cruise Critic.

Got it. Although I walk 95% of the time, it will now be 100% thanks to yours and Billoh's feedback:D

I might be wrong but I think there are signs on the Promenade deck that say "No Jogging" between the hours of 10:00pm and 8:00am or something like that.

On the Majesty you can't jog on the Promedade deck between 10pm and 10am.

Deck 12 had no room for jogging really, so I ended up in the gym :( It was just too hot outside to run after 10am.

4966278716_521c79b9f4.jpg

> cruising: fly-in a day early, fly-out a day late

> windjammer: seat first --> food second

> itinerary: ports are most important, 2 sea days per week

> cabin: bring socket-adaptors so you can use both USA and Europe sockets

> cabin: a balcony is worth the money (i don't like aft cabins: soot, shaking, walking distance)

> pool: ask for long island iced tea without tequila

> dining room: chops steak is worth the money

> excursions: 3 full-day excursions in a row is the maximum

> excursions: book using your tv

> embarkation: bring a book and pen

> internet: expect the worst

> account: use credit card, keep track of tab on tv (don't wait for the bill)

> passengers: ignore the ignorant, its your holiday so enjoy it!

> soda package: it is soda-gun-only, don't take it and go for cans

> stay away from art auctions (champagne is cheap, the art is not!)

> use express departure, its faster (if you get an elevator with your luggage)

> enjoy and relax.... it will be over before you know it!

1) First day, carry $5's to tip the pool bar and any other bar you might frequent the cruise. Tenders always make a point of waiting on me rest of cruise despite any lines.:)

2) Always try to wear the shoe on the other foot when dealing with other passengers or staff. We all have bad day's. Even on a cruise...

3) Kiss the wife good night no matter what transpired during the day:D

1) First day, carry $5's to tip the pool bar and any other bar you might frequent the cruise. Tenders always make a point of waiting on me rest of cruise despite any lines.:)

2) Always try to wear the shoe on the other foot when dealing with other passengers or staff. We all have bad day's. Even on a cruise...

3) Kiss the wife good night no matter what transpired during the day:D

Very good advice! Thank you!!

I hope every one is nice to the crew and staff..............:)

from a wife:D

Archived