Thoughts on the Drink Packages vs. Pay as you go?

sayvan

Pay as you go or Drink package? What do you prefer  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Pay as you go or Drink package? What do you prefer

• Pay as you go
    • Drink Package

Here is my question.

When you order drinks on Celebrity are you charged the 15% service charge on each drink you order? If so, then you are paying $12 plus 15% every drink. That makes the package more appealing.

Yes u are charged the 15% on every drink u order.

Ironically, "Bobby Dee," it was your numbers for the Premium and Classic Packages that were "incorrect," rather than mine -- although you were not off by much.

--- The Premium Package is not "just under $56," as you said it was. In fact, it is $56.35 -- the sum of $49, base price, plus 15% ($7.35) service charge, per day.

--- The Classic Package is not "$45," as you said it was. In fact, it is $44.85 -- the sum of $39, base price, plus 15% ($5.85) service charge, per day.

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. I believe you are correct and I am wr..wr..wr..wrong. :)

The most I could possibly drink on one day is 3 cans of soda and 3 glasses of wine, champagne, or cocktails. Most days I have 2 sodas and 2 drinks. No coffee, bottled water, juice, etc., so NO it is definitely not worth it. DH drinks 5-6 alcoholic drinks some days, but still doesn't see the point of a drink package, as he doesn't want to be tempted to drink too much to try to get value out of it.

Sayvan,

We did have 2 drink packages :D but after all of the drama on CC about "stealing" I was suprised to find that the waiters were very kind in the hour I had mine and my fiance didn't. He was comped his beer and then whenever I ordered a drink the bartender let Todd "test" my drink- with a full glass!!! It was one of the reasons he decided to get the package as we felt bad about the free drinks and were worried it would be like that all week.

We were both happy to have gotten the drink package as soon as we found the molecular bar!

Yes, they are. I wonder if Aqua Class is included?

With Aqua Class you can obtain free smoothies from room service (might only be available in morning, not sure if you can get them later in the day) and also at Blu during breakfast. There are about four different varieties to choose from. I found them to be quite tasty.

With Aqua Class you can obtain free smoothies from room service (might only be available in morning, not sure if you can get them later in the day) and also at Blu during breakfast. There are about four different varieties to choose from. I found them to be quite tasty.

Great, thanks. I loved the amoothies on Celebrity Century, especially the "Omega" made with Soy Milk.

I think the biggest factor for me in deciding this is the amount of time at sea vs time in port. I'm considering two cruises right now... one is a very port intensive Med cruise. If I'm spending 70-80% of my day off the ship, what's the point in getting a package? However, I'm also looking at a very sea day heavy Caribbean cruise, and the days we do stop are relatively short stops... a drink package for me personally would be completely worth it on that cruise.

With only two alcoholic beverage ordered -- amidst a variety that is far from boring -- the total comes to at least $56.50 (+8.48 for 15% service charge). You could even drop the last beverage and come close to the $49 pre-paid.

Relax! You're going to love it. ;)

The price is per day, not per cruise. that is still a lot to drink each day, even if it is not alcoholic

After careful consideration we decided against buying into a drink package. We don't drink tea/coffee/soft drinks/water, other than what is on offer at no additional cost. We usually have a cocktail before dinner, a bottle of wine with dinner and another couple of cocktails afterwards. It wasn't worth it for us.

Lynne:)

I prefer pay as you go in combination with purchasing a bottle of vodka (at double the retail price on land :eek:). Guess that markup is profit from not ordering indivual drinks around the ship.

We might drink $50 one or two days, but not every day, so some days we might spend more than the daily drink package and less on most days.

But, if we were drinking more on a consistent basis, I would buy the package. It is a matter of value received/used and we would not get full value for what we paid for it as I currently understand the package.

Do any of the bars have "Happy Hour"? The only other cruise we have been on was to Alaska on HAL, and we liked how they had a two for one Happy Hour every day. We usually had 2 or 4 drinks during that time. Then we also bought a wine card where you could get the house wine with dinner or whenever you wanted to for about $4 a glass. This worked out great for us. Plus we could bring on wine at every port if we wanted to. The drink package prices and prices of single drinks seem outrageously priced to us small town midwesterners!! We are used to being able to buy drinks pretty cheaply!! We travel a lot, but "big city" prices still shock us!!:eek::eek::eek::o:rolleyes:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the a drink package (alcohol) vs. simply pay as you go? Does it make more sense to get a package (realizing of course it really depends on how much you like to drink and this question is a bit subjective)? Is there a real savings?

I've had the same thoughts. 1st we have a $200.00 OBC so actual $ is cloudly.We are AQ -so we get a bottle of champagne/sparking wine

We will bring aboard 2 bottles of wine . So far 3 bottles for 12 night cruise.That covers drinks on the balcony. We will bring the champagne to Blu. Not beer, soda or "premium water" drinkers besides as AQ we get bottled water, so no need to worry about $ for these items. We have 3 sea days- will probably order 1 frozen drink x2 people for sitting by pool on each day. Finally checked over our account from Solstice last trip (10 nights) there was a total charge of $375.00 for wine/frozen drinks. We travelled with DF so we alternated buying the table bottle each night. Will continue to check the boards & Celebrity to check on $

Carole

After all the research and all the differences of opinion, I decided to buy a package and try it out. We have a 3 day on the Eclipse in November. I thought it would be good test. Maybe X should look into raising cruise prices an average of $35 a day and make the cruises all inclusive?:)

Have I read somewhere??????????? that you can purchase Wine as a gift package before you board and have it chilled in your cabin or delivered to the restaurant for drinking with your meal. If this is true is there still a 15% charge

Archived