Thoughts on the Drink Packages vs. Pay as you go?

sayvan

Pay as you go or Drink package? What do you prefer  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Pay as you go or Drink package? What do you prefer

• Pay as you go
    • Drink Package

Does anyone have any thoughts on the a drink package (alcohol) vs. simply pay as you go? Does it make more sense to get a package (realizing of course it really depends on how much you like to drink and this question is a bit subjective)? Is there a real savings?

I just don't drink enough to make a package realistic in terms of value. Wine with dinner ( or possibly a beer), I might have a cocktail or not depending on the mood. Nothing near the per diem that the packages cost.

Is there a real savings?

(See the sticky at the top of this list for pages upon pages of evaluations on the benefits of the packages, including lists of the costs for various drinks.)

Most people who have been posting have said that if the cost comes anywhere close to the amount they would expect to spend, then the packages are worth it because you are making the cruise an "all inclusive" vacation. But it seems that you will have to enjoy having a few drinks on cruises. For me, I am looking forward to the experience. I've already paid for the packages and by time I cruise in January, I won't even remember what I paid for the drinks and I won't worry about trying to have to control my shipboard account.

My problem is that I have never in my life had 4 or more alcoholic beverages a day for 9 days in a row. I think I could sustain it for about 4 or 5 days but I feel like those last couple of days I would be sick of booze, crazy as that sounds. Still I am considering it because I did the spreadsheet that someone posted on the stickied thead and it seems like I would at the very least break even.

My problem is that I have never in my life had 4 or more alcoholic beverages a day for 9 days in a row.

Hello, "msrizzo."

It's not necessary to order "4 or more alcoholic beverages" a day in order to reach the break-even point. Here's just one of numerous combinations of (mostly) non-alcoholic drinks that you could order, adding up to at least the $49 pre-paid:

$ 2.50 -- 1 squeezed or bottled juice

$ 6.50 -- 1 Cafe Viennese (with "splash" of almond flavoring)

$ 6.00 -- 1 Republic of Tea Darjeeling

$ 4.00 -- 1 can Coca Cola, 1 can Fanta Orange pop

$ 2.50 -- 1 small Evian water

$ 4.00 -- 1 large San Pellegrino water

$ 5.00 -- 1 O'Doul's Beer [non-alcoholic]

$ 4.00 -- 1 Rainbow Punch or Raspberry Lemonade

$12.00 -- 1 glass Chateauneuf-du-Pape (red wine, at CellarMasters)

$10.00 or $12.00 -- 1 drink at Martini Bar or Molecular Bar, respectively

With only two alcoholic beverage ordered -- amidst a variety that is far from boring -- the total comes to at least $56.50 (+8.48 for 15% service charge). You could even drop the last beverage and come close to the $49 pre-paid.

Relax! You're going to love it. ;)

I can certainly imagine that on at sea days, I might be able to really push myself to spend $50+ on assorted beverages over 24 hours. I cannot, however, imagine doing that for 7 straight days, especially when in port. If anything, these drink packages make me feel a bit better for getting an extra cocktail while paying as I go, cuz I know I'm still spending a heck of a lot less than people who DID buy the packages!

I can certainly imagine that on at sea days, I might be able to really push myself to spend $50+ on assorted beverages over 24 hours. I cannot, however, imagine doing that for 7 straight days, especially when in port. If anything, these drink packages make me feel a bit better for getting an extra cocktail while paying as I go, cuz I know I'm still spending a heck of a lot less than people who DID buy the packages!

Same here! Doing the calculations made me realise that I would never be able to drink so much on a port-intensive cruise like the Holy Land cruise that we'll be on in October. It also made me feel like I could indulge myself a little by spending extra on drinks, knowing that my expenditure will still be a lot less than if I had paid for the premium non-alcoholic package (alcohol and me don't mix). All psychological I know, but to each his own :p

Even though I thought my DH and I drank a lot on our cruises, we must not because we could never drink the amount needed to even break even per day on the drink package. Even adding in water, soda, etc. we wouldn't come close.

Plus we like to order bottles of wine during dinner. There are a number of wines we really enjoy. So the wine by the glass at dinner wouldn't work for us.

We will definitely continue to pay as you go.

we are cruising in January for a birthday celebration ... we are planning on using the drink package for an 'all inclusive' vacation .... not sure I would do it every time I cruised tho ...and I am pretty sure I wont break even ... probably not the smartest way to go but ..

I think it adds a 'no worries' attitude to the entire vacation ...

the total comes to at least $56.50 (+8.48 for 15% service charge). You could even drop the last beverage and come close to the $49 pre-paid.

Okay two things. First off, the drinks packages are not the best deal for everyone. But let's not forget there are also non alcoholic drink packages available as well for people who will be drinking mostly sodas, coffees and teas, and water. Still, these aren't for everyone, especially if you are thinking that being on a port intensive cruise will leave you off the ship most of the time. So if you think that you are better off by buying the non alcoholic package or not buying any package, then do that. The important thing is that you have a fun and relaxing time on your cruise and enjoy it on your own terms.

The other issue is that the prices that are being quoted for the drinks packages are incorrect. The Premium package at just under $56 and the Classic package at $45 are prices including the 15% service charge.

Well now I feel like a lush as I worked ours out today and feel it is worthwhile:( oh dear.

My calculations were

Morning coffee, afternoon coffee, few glasses of sparkling water during day, pre-dinner drink, couple of glasses of wine with dinner and two drinks during the show.

This seems to work out we are better buying a package.

Does anyone know if you can purchase mid cruise? We are doing a 12 day Med cruise next year with only 3 sea days - 2 are the last days of the cruise. Wouldn't pay at all for the first 5 days.

Hello, "Arubamoose."

Yes, you CAN purchase a package after Embarkation Day. However, there is a cut-off point. According to the "X" site, you cannot purchase when fewer than two full days remain on the cruise. (According to one CrCr member, however, his cruise was cut off earlier than that.) You are thinking of purchasing with about seven days left, so that should be fine.

... the prices that are being quoted for the drinks packages are incorrect. The Premium package at just under $56 and the Classic package at $45 are prices including the 15% service charge.

Sorry, "Bobby Dee," but you are mistaken. I understand this subject very well. By quoting me, you were (wrongly) implying that my numbers "are incorrect." Actually, my numbers are correct, but you must have misunderstood them.

I was helping "msrizzo" to compare the price of the Premium Package ($49 plus service charge = $56.35, per day) to "paying as you go." To do that, I chose a group of beverages -- 9 out of 11 being non-alcoholic -- and showed how they would add up ("paying as you go") to $56.50 (plus 15% service charge = $64.98). I was thereby showing how some people could greatly benefit by purchasing a Premium Package, even if 90% of his/her drinks were non-alcoholic!

Ironically, "Bobby Dee," it was your numbers for the Premium and Classic Packages that were "incorrect," rather than mine -- although you were not off by much.

--- The Premium Package is not "just under $56," as you said it was. In fact, it is $56.35 -- the sum of $49, base price, plus 15% ($7.35) service charge, per day.

--- The Classic Package is not "$45," as you said it was. In fact, it is $44.85 -- the sum of $39, base price, plus 15% ($5.85) service charge, per day.

I think it just depends on what you are drinking. I knew before our cruise I was going to get the premium alcohol package but my fiance decided he would not. On our first night after I had already purchased mine we were sitting at the sunset bar and about 3 drinks in he decided that it would be alot easier to just get the package- he then knew exactly how much he would end up spending and could get whatever he wanted.

I'm still not sure if we broke even or surpassed the amount we paid, but if not it was very close. We were at the molecular bar EVERY night- and those drinks are $12 each. We had a drink or two before dinner, a couple glasses of wine with dinner, some coffee after, and then back to the molecular bar until it closed down. Most nights we had a total of 4 drinks each there- which equals $48. Not to mention three glasses of wine, in between $8- $12- which the low end would be $24. Then a $4 coffee. Sometimes we stopped at the martini bar ($10) and had a martini or two. This is not including about four $4 bottles of evian, vitamin water, pop, smoothies, and lattes we would drink throughout the day.

For us it was so much easier to not sign those stupid slips every time we got a drink. It also made us more open to trying new things. He had some great drinks at the molecular bar that I didn't like and I tried a martini I hated- I ended switching with a friend who ALSO had the drink package. We were a lot more open to different wines as well. When I didn't like one, I went back to my old stanby. But I now have some more wines I love thanks to this package.

So is it worth it? It honestly depends on what you are going to drink. But the molecular bar drinks are heavy on flavor and low on alcohol- so don't think you are going to drink one and be drunk. The only night we felt tipsy was the first- which I blame on the rum runners! For us it was totally worth it.

Hello, "msrizzo."

It's not necessary to order "4 or more alcoholic beverages" a day in order to reach the break-even point. Here's just one of numerous combinations of (mostly) non-alcoholic drinks that you could order, adding up to at least the $49 pre-paid:

$ 2.50 -- 1 squeezed or bottled juice

$ 6.50 -- 1 Cafe Viennese (with "splash" of almond flavoring)

$ 6.00 -- 1 Republic of Tea Darjeeling

$ 4.00 -- 1 can Coca Cola, 1 can Fanta Orange pop

$ 2.50 -- 1 small Evian water

$ 4.00 -- 1 large San Pellegrino water

$ 5.00 -- 1 O'Doul's Beer [non-alcoholic]

$ 4.00 -- 1 Rainbow Punch or Raspberry Lemonade

$12.00 -- 1 glass Chateauneuf-du-Pape (red wine, at CellarMasters)

$10.00 or $12.00 -- 1 drink at Martini Bar or Molecular Bar, respectively

With only two alcoholic beverage ordered -- amidst a variety that is far from boring -- the total comes to at least $56.50 (+8.48 for 15% service charge). You could even drop the last beverage and come close to the $49 pre-paid.

Relax! You're going to love it. ;)

I love it.... Sold!

For us it was so much easier to not sign those stupid slips every time we got a drink. It also made us more open to trying new things. He had some great drinks at the molecular bar that I didn't like and I tried a martini I hated- I ended switching with a friend who ALSO had the drink package. We were a lot more open to different wines as well. When I didn't like one, I went back to my old stanby. But I now have some more wines I love thanks to this package.

So did you by two packages (one for each of you) or did you just order two drinks at a time? ;)

Have had the Premium Package 2 times on recent X cruises and it is more then worth it for just not having to sign for everything. Staff still remember you and what drinks you enjoy and we like the variety it includes and when you add it to the price of the cruise its still way less then cruise lines that it include it in the initial pricing.

I think it just depends on what you are drinking. I knew before our cruise I was going to get the premium alcohol package but my fiance decided he would not. On our first night after I had already purchased mine we were sitting at the sunset bar and about 3 drinks in he decided that it would be alot easier to just get the package- he then knew exactly how much he would end up spending and could get whatever he wanted.

I'm still not sure if we broke even or surpassed the amount we paid, but if not it was very close. We were at the molecular bar EVERY night- and those drinks are $12 each. We had a drink or two before dinner, a couple glasses of wine with dinner, some coffee after, and then back to the molecular bar until it closed down. Most nights we had a total of 4 drinks each there- which equals $48. Not to mention three glasses of wine, in between $8- $12- which the low end would be $24. Then a $4 coffee. Sometimes we stopped at the martini bar ($10) and had a martini or two. This is not including about four $4 bottles of evian, vitamin water, pop, smoothies, and lattes we would drink throughout the day.

So is it worth it? It honestly depends on what you are going to drink. But the molecular bar drinks are heavy on flavor and low on alcohol- so don't think you are going to drink one and be drunk. The only night we felt tipsy was the first- which I blame on the rum runners! For us it was totally worth it.

Oh Yes, ditto here!

Great memories and that package is definitely worth it especially being with you and Todd, alisaunt and ficruiser46. Don't think we'll ever be able to duplicate that week!

Archived