Liberty Moving to FLL

Not really much of a rumor considering it is right on the RCI website.

Last sailing from Miami is Mar 27, 2011. Then it goes to Barcelona from April 2011 to Oct 2011 and when it returns to this side of the Atlantic in Nov 2011 it will be doing alternating 4 and 5 night sailings until Apr 2012 from Fort Lauderdale and that is as far ahead as the schedule goes for now.

The captain on a recent Majesty sailing said during a Q & A session that the move to Fort Lauderdale was because traffic problems and crowding at Miami Airport compared to Fort Lauderdale. The popular opinion among local passengers was that the move is political. I am curious what Cruise Critic members can offer to the discussion.

The captain on a recent Majesty sailing said during a Q & A session that the move to Fort Lauderdale was because traffic problems and crowding at Miami Airport compared to Fort Lauderdale. The popular opinion among local passengers was that the move is political. I am curious what Cruise Critic members can offer to the discussion.

so...having Liberty and Oasis and a host of other cruise ships in Fort Lauderdale won't crowd Fort Lauderdale Airport....it was a zoo last March with just Oasis passengers piling into the airport

so...having Liberty and Oasis and a host of other cruise ships in Fort Lauderdale won't crowd Fort Lauderdale Airport....it was a zoo last March with just Oasis passengers piling into the airport

We were at the FLL airport Mar 28th had just gotten off the INDY..It was very crowded and lucky for us the Oasis had come in the day before..even so planes arriving late due to weather..FLL can only handle so much !!!

I flew out of FLL last Saturday after a cruise on the Oasis, and it was not a zoo.

I drive by the port everyday and IMHO...as of now Port Everglades/FLL is

crowded (and more expensive) winter season thru spring break

season...then most ships scatter to Alaska, Canada, Europe etc.

But now that you mention it, check the summer 2011 P.E. schedule.

Oasis and Allure all summer out of Ft Lauderdale. No Princess ships

out of Ft Lauderdale in summer of 2011.

So, yup...possibly 12,000 people on weekends emarking/debarking

through P.E.

Thanks to the heads up about Navigator leaving (for good?) we are booking

Navigator before she leaves P.E. and look forward to a Liberty

cruise later on. Don't know or care about any politics but everything is

always about money!

I love the Everglades Port, but I'm hating the parking prices in the port (even though they are less expensive than Miami). And they don't give the disabled discount (unless you have the ADA certification), nor do they have enough disabled spaces. Just an observation. Maybe in the Oasis parking lot there are more, I sure hope so. Unloading a mechanical wheel chair can be very difficult in a normal sized space.

The switch to Port Everglades really has nothing to do with airport crowding.

When they built terminal 18 for Oasis and Allure, RCI and Port Everglades agreed to a 10 year contract to increase passenger counts from Port Everglades.

"Revenue will be generated primarily by an increase in the number of passengers that Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. guarantees will sail to and from Port Everglades over a 10-year period. This guaranteed number of passengers increases five-fold within the first five years of the Agreement. This includes passengers sailing on all of RCL's ships, including Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity, and Azamara. In the first year, their passenger guarantees increase to 750,240 or 59 percent higher than the guarantees in their previous contract. By the fifth year, their 2,290,815 guaranteed passenger movement will be 385 percent higher than their previous agreement."

They had to get them from somewhere, so Miami was an easy choice.

Why Not? The President and CEO's View May 11, 2010

Royal Caribbean Port Updates and a Few Quick Notes from Adam

The winter/spring “season” is over here in sunny, hot South Florida and with the end of it many of the ships have left the Caribbean for Europe or Alaska. I was driving to Miami Beach and upon seeing Liberty of the Seas at the Port of Miami it reminded me that next year at this time the only Royal Caribbean International ship at the Port of Miami will be Majesty of the Seas on Mondays and Fridays. A number of readers and others have remarked on this and I would like to comment on it.

First, we will continue our long term relationship with the Port of Miami and look forward to having other ships besides Majesty of the Seas based there in the future.

Second, we made a substantial commitment to Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood) when we did the deal that resulted in the new Terminal 18 and the homeporting of Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. One of the driving factors behind the transition of some of our ships to Port Everglades was to ensure we were on course to fulfill our commitment.

Third, while Port Everglades and the Port of Miami each have their advantages, we are very pleased to be able to leverage the proximity of Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood airport to Port Everglades. It’s remarkable how close together the port and airport are. That is a real convenience for our guests. Of course we realize many people will still fly in via Miami’s airport and we will continue to offer a robust transfer service....

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=1257

Archived