New Menu for Mariners Brunch

sail7seas

On our recent Maasdam cruises, we found they are serving a new menu at Mariners Brunch.

A few folks asked about it so here it is:

Appetizer

Warm Salmon, Spinach and Romaine Lettuce Salad - with chickpeas and tomato, drizzled with orange-olive oil dressing

Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Passion Fruit Sorbet

Entrees

Braised Beef Short Ribs with Roasted Garlic Cloves - Slowly cooked in a rich gravy, served over classic mashed potato and baby corrots with chives

or

Butter Basted Pacific Sole Fillet with Leeks - With a timbale of golden yellow rice and roasted basil flavored cherry tomatoes

or

Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche - Served with orzo pasta sauteed spinach and grilled tomato

Dessert

Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart - A sweet and tart filling baked in a flaky pastry tartlet, topped with a dollop of whipped cream

Petits Fours, Coffee, Tea

Sole??

For the last few years it hasn't been offered on a regular menu -- that is great that HAL has brought that back.

Really not certain if the new menu will tempt us to go to the Mariner's brunch -- not after what we have experienced.

Our feelings exactly. Those luncheons have underwhelmed us with the menus and timing (sometimes as early as 11 am) and we have avoided the event on our last two cruises.

Hank

We went to the Mariner brunch on Maasdam and the short ribs were pretty good. We could not see who was speaking and there was no party favors (the picture frame with menu to keep) as there was on past cruises. We still prefer the old reception and feel there isn't much to this event and it is a cost saving measure. You do get a free class of sparkling wine, or Cola for those who do not drink. I think they mentioned there was a passenger on-board with over 1,000 days.

We went the past passenger event on Celebrity earlier this year and although their buffet (in their "Crystal room") was not that appealing and we ended up on lido to eat, at least the alcohol (multiple choices) was free flowing from the servers and bar.

Help! I'm confused. :confused: Is the menu posted above served on embarkation day in MDR or is it a special event during the cruise for those of us who have previously sailed with HAL?

Past Passenger event. Those are the "Mariners".

Sole?? For the last few years it hasn't been offered on a regular menu -- that is great that HAL has brought that back.

I don't think this Pacific Sole is the same wonderful dish as HAL's famed Dover Sole, which hasn't been offered in years.

We went to the Mariner brunch on Maasdam and the short ribs were pretty good. We could not see who was speaking and there was no party favors (the picture frame with menu to keep) as there was on past cruises. We still prefer the old reception and feel there isn't much to this event and it is a cost saving measure. You do get a free class of sparkling wine, or Cola for those who do not drink. I think they mentioned there was a passenger on-board with over 1,000 days.

<snip>

He's a delightful gentleman we met on both our first and second cruise of our b-to-b. He had been on for the Voyage of the Viking and was aboard for 14 more days. He was with the group of us in Explorers Lounge who had Medallions and then we all went to lunch. Very nice gentleman-interesting, of course, because of all his travels. There was a lady both weeks who has 1900 days. :eek: Also very nice and very interesting.

Sail, not to change subjests but what time can we embark in Boston? We are staying close to the port and wondered when we can get over there and board. Thanks so much.

Start of Embarkation always depends upon local authorities but for Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in Boston, embarkation almost always begins by about 11:10 - 11:15. Boarding in Boston is very easy IMO

Have a wonderful time...... it's a great ship doing a fabulous itinerary. :)

On our recent Maasdam cruises, we found they are serving a new menu at Mariners Brunch.

A few folks asked about it so here it is:

Appetizer

Warm Salmon, Spinach and Romaine Lettuce Salad - with chickpeas and tomato, drizzled with orange-olive oil dressing

Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Passion Fruit Sorbet

Entrees

Braised Beef Short Ribs with Roasted Garlic Cloves - Slowly cooked in a rich gravy, served over classic mashed potato and baby corrots with chives

or

Butter Basted Pacific Sole Fillet with Leeks - With a timbale of golden yellow rice and roasted basil flavored cherry tomatoes

or

Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche - Served with orzo pasta sauteed spinach and grilled tomato

Dessert

Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart - A sweet and tart filling baked in a flaky pastry tartlet, topped with a dollop of whipped cream

Petits Fours, Coffee, Tea

Thanks for posting. Sounds appetizing to me.:D

Thanks for this updated info - agree, maybe we too will go back to them again. Now if they can tone down the MCD silliness and have a nice dignified but celebratory last night dinner, HAL will proven they do listen to their dear longtime passengers well.

I can see the MCD format is a way to get us all on the same page at the same time for a well-deserved "applause" at the end. I wonder how other cruise ships handle this.

Or what could we also suggest to make it have kind of a "bookend" feel for the trip, but not have it be such a drawn out and corny affair until the last parade of the dessert. I think I would rather see an invitation placed at the table where we are asked to stay at the table until an appointed time on this evening to have a special staff farewell event -- and would love to have some sort of Filipino/Indonesian farewell song sung by the staff and then perhaps some sort of dessert fuss to cap off the goodby. Those who want to stay for this special send off can, and those who want to leave early would. And some might still be in the middle of their main course, but that is just the way it works out. Dessert can be brought out later for them. I am assuming the MCD only happens during fixed dining?

Before MCD, we never would miss last night in the dining room. Now, we are never present last night. We feel a little cheated that we have to opt out of being at our table with the dining team that has worked so hard to please us because we cannot abide the 'flying salad bowl' extravaganza. We miss the specialness we always enjoyed with last night and 'the goodbye song.'

I had the fish and it was not dover sole.

We had the old menu on Maasdam in May and this is the first I've seen or heard of this new menu but imagine it will be showing up on all the ships.

Careful reading of the menu shows it offers no choice for folks who eat 'low fat'.

Short ribs, Cheddar Quiche and Butter Basted Fish....... all high fat.

Archived