Glutein free diet cruising

Rafaella

Ok, friends,

Could someone give an idea in how to cruise on glutein free diet plan.

I am on this diet for about 2 months, so I am fully familiar with all ins and outs. I am going with HAL to Western Caribbean on 1/2/11 and need to know if there are more advices for me as far as how to order meals, how to choose the dressings for salads , and can I place in order for glutein free diet while onboard?

I would appreciate some help here,

Thank you

Rafaella

You or your TA should contact the Special services dept well in advance of your cruise.

They will then be sure to have special gluten free foods on board

Once on board speak to the restaurant manager& the chef to make sure they are aware of your requirements

You or your TA absolutely must contact the cruise line's Special Needs department well in advance. In fact, now is not too soon. Many require that all special dietary requirements/requests be made several weeks before the cruise date. Most will give you a list of specific foods you can pre-order and that will be available just for you. Once onboard, you'll want to talk to the dining manager, head chef, and/or maitre d. They will be able to guide you on the appropriate choices and will make sure your personal selections are stocked. Be aware that sometimes they cannot give you thorough guidance in the buffets. They will do the best they can, but do not always know every ingredient in every item. Room service can be problematic, but I know many people are able to order common items that are typically gluten free. The main dining room and specialty restaurants will be your best dining choices. Make sure your waitstaff knows of your restrictions and that you have pre-ordered items (e.g., gluten free bread).

beachchick

After you board, go to the buffet and ask to see the chef. Tell him you have a gluten allergy and he will be able to tell you which items are gluten free. You will not starve. they deal with this on every cruise. EM

I am sorry, I did not know that HAL can acommodate my glutein free diet.

This is great! And, someone said there is a glutein free bread on the menu , as well? Wow, that is just an extra.. I am already thrilled by knowing they have glutein free adjustments.

Thank you, everyone.

I am sorry, I did not know that HAL can acommodate my glutein free diet.

This is great! And, someone said there is a glutein free bread on the menu , as well? Wow, that is just an extra.. I am already thrilled by knowing they have glutein free adjustments.

Thank you, everyone.

I just want to clarify. I do not know for a fact that HAL can/will specifically accomodate your diet. I do know that most cruise lines do so and that you can arrange it through the Special Needs department. Also, there typically is not gluten-free bread available on the regular menu. That's why you need to contact the Special Needs department now and tell them what you need. How it works on most lines is that you pre-order what you want from a list of items the cruise line provides. This will almost certainly include some gluten-free breads and other baked items. Once you're onboard, the items you selected are there for you. But things like gluten-free bread will not be listed as general/common/regular menu items or be available in the regular bread basket.

beachchick

I have been on a Gluten Free diet for 6 years .My suggestion is to consult your doctor .My physician feels that as long as I am on my medication I do not have to stay on the gluten free during my cruise or any other vacation .I have never had a problem .

Went with Ocean Village cruising in the Caribbean and I have been gluten free all my life. No problems whatsoever. Told my tour operated I needed gluten free diet when booked the holiday they informed Ocean Village. I got a phone call from the Restaurant Manager asking me to identify myself when I went into the restaurant and he then went through everything on the menu telling me what was okay and what was not - this was done every night!! When there was sea bass on that had a sauce that wasn't gluten free they even got the chef to cook me some without the sauce. I could not fault them. I suggest you contact the customer desk on the ship when you go on board and mention your dietry needs to them and then they will sort it out for you. Have a good cruise.

I did not know that there was a gluten medication to take and then not have to worry about eating certain foods. Can you share more information with me?

Thanks!

Normally a person is not on a gluten free diet unless they have an illness . The medication is for the illness .

Archived