warning to those without a passport

jamieng

I am posting this with the flame retardant suit on......

Those who cruise a closed looped cruise with out a passport are playing a dangerous game.

Yes you can get away with your BC and DL.

What happens if you need to fly home on an emergency basis?

Or you miss the ship and need to get to the next port that is foreign---Mex or Canada ?

Its been said here many times by others and I will post it again.....

If you can afford to cruise you can afford a passport.

Go ahead flame away!

But if the BC doesn't match the name on the cruise docs, wouldn't you agree that someone should have a document showing why they don't match? Or perhaps be using an alternative ID, such as a passport?

That's exactly it, if you are providing your BC as proof of citizenship and it doesn't match the name the cruise is booked under then it doesn't meet the requirement that the documentation be in the name of the reservation. You'll have to show the legal proof of the legal name change, that includes showing documentation for multiple name changes. End of story.

"IMPORTANT: The information you enter must be identical to the way it appears on the identification documents you take to the pier. Discrepancies may result in delayed or denied boarding.

Note: Your name on the reservation must also match your proof of citizenship documents"

Maybe so, but I've never been asked to present a marriage license, nor has RCI or my agent suggested I do so (until this cruise). My cruise agent was even surprised when I told him, claiming he's never heard of that before and will certainly warn his other customers. And, he's been a cruise agent for several years.

The requirement for bridging document have been in place for many years. If you think about it, it only makes sense. The agent was taking a calculated risk. Had US Border Protection denied you re-entrance into the US because of the lack of documentation (unlikely but quite possible) Royal Caribbean would have been on the hook and I'm sure the agent would have heard from management.

She could rightfully deny your boarding.

The requirement of having a passport has been in place for probably over 2 years by now.

The bigger issue is, when you return home, US Immigration can deny your re-entry of the country when you do not have a required travel document, namely the passport.

I know passport costs money but it is so much simpler to have your passport than carrying multiple papers (birth cert, married license, kids' birth certs...)

They could only deny you for a bit, untill they verified who you were.

The requirement for bridging document have been in place for many years. If you think about it, it only makes sense. The agent was taking a calculated risk. Had US Border Protection denied you re-entrance into the US because of the lack of documentation (unlikely but quite possible) Royal Caribbean would have been on the hook and I'm sure the agent would have heard from management.

I'm not saying you are wrong, and I agree with you that it makes sense.

However, I've cruised multiple times and have never been told a bridging document is required. I booked this cruise through RCI (transferred to my agent later. he was out sick when we booked) and while she highly suggested a passport, I told her I didn't have one and I wasn't sure I had time to get one. She never mentioned a bridging document.

I'm the first to say "shame on me" for not getting a passport sooner. Won't happen again....I love cruising way too much :)

Yes! Adult American passports are good for 10 years, double that of Canadian passports. Seems like an affordable investment and peace of mind.

By the way, I hope this thread persuades those "on the cusp" to go ahead and get the passport, but I have a feeling that as long as we see threads like this one, where OP "got a pass", the situation might not be as cut and dry for everyone. Some will continue to take the chance. :o

I asked this very question of my travel agent, as I kept my original middle name when I married, rather than my maiden name. My name on my children's BCs is First Middle Maiden Last, and those are certified, original documents. Wouldn't this satisfy the required "bridging" document?
Carolyn, you are sailing on Carnival, and this bridge document requirement is primarily limited to RCCL; most other lines simply match first name and birthdate. Since you have all names listed, I think you will be just fine on Carnival.

The requirement of having a passport has been in place for probably over 2 years by now.
Except that there isn't a requirement for a passport on such a cruise.

The bigger issue is, when you return home, US Immigration can deny your re-entry of the country when you do not have a required travel document, namely the passport.

Except that a passport isn't a required document.

I am so glad that I finally got my passport, however, does anyone who has a passport bring their birth certificate just in case they lose their passport?
Some do. And then again mothers with different last names than their children need the BC to prove parentage, even if everyone has passports.

Or you miss the ship and need to get to the next port that is foreign---Mex or Canada ?

You would get a passport, then fly home.

Brilliant logic. If I can afford to cruise, I can afford to crumple up $10 bills and toss them off my balcony.

Just because you can afford to do something doesn't mean you should.

The same thing happened to me and like the original poster, I was totally caught off guard. I have never been asked for a marriage certificate before, but this was our first RCCL cruise. The agent did the same thing and looked at my children's BC that has my maiden name. We are getting passports before our next cruise. I'm not sure how it would have been handled if we didn't have our kids with us.

Those who cruise a closed looped cruise with out a passport are playing a dangerous game.

Go ahead flame away!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I can't imagine the hurdles you would have to jump if you got stranded at a port and had to make it back to the US on your own without a passport.

You would get a passport, then fly home.

Brilliant logic. If I can afford to cruise, I can afford to crumple up $10 bills and toss them off my balcony.

Then you would enjoy spending 5 times (or more) the cost of an emergency passport. It could also take days to receive because you would be jumping through hoop after hoop, so much for getting home in an emergency.

We chose passports not because it IS an requirement, but because we are leaving the US and into foreign territories, anything can happen.

BTW...welcome to CC.

Oh stop it. If you crumpled up $10 bills and threw them off your balcony, you'd never see them again. If you spent that money on a passport, the world of travel is opened up to you and is yours for 10 years. Why should someone not get a passport? There just is no good reason you can give me. :rolleyes:

Go ahead flame away!

No flames here. You are absolutely right.

I feel the same way about traveling without insurance, too. People play a dangerous game doing that, as well. I have 2 stories within the past week about that.

Oh stop it. If you crumpled up $10 bills and threw them off your balcony, you'd never see them again. If you spent that money on a passport, the world of travel is opened up to you and is yours for 10 years. Why should someone not get a passport? There just is no good reason you can give me. :rolleyes:

maybe those that simple want to cruise the Caribbean, not travel the world.

Archived