Best Month to Cruise Alaska

MsSadie

We've been to Alaska three times - once on the last cruise in Sept. in 2006, then the first week of June in 2008, and just this past May 31st, we went on HAL's new 14 day itinerary so we were sailing there the first two weeks of June. While September holds a special place in my heart because it was my first cruise and first time to Alaska, we enjoyed every single second - despite the early sunsets, and rainy cool weather. It was just an amazing experience all the way around! I must say though, that we've experienced much better weather (less rain, less cold) in late May/early June, plus those extra hours of daylight were the biggest bonus! On this last trip, sailing to Anchorage with sunset around midnight was an almost spiritual experience - water smooth as glass, the ship surrounded by whales everywhere you looked, the mountains behind us bathed in beautiful pink light, and Mt. St. Augustine, an active volcano, snorting steam with the sun setting behind it. Breathtaking!

Weather is always a crapshoot in Alaska - you may have sunny warm days the entire week, even in September, or you might not. If you go with the attitude that its all about Alaska - the spectacular scenery, the plentiful and amazing wildlife both on land and in the sea, and the gorgeous blue ice of the glaciers - that is all that will matter to you! Again, the plus of early June is the longer hours of daylight to explore and enjoy all of the above is certainly worth consideration. But September holds its own appeal - the nip in the air, the likelihood of seeing bears due to the late salmon runs, the spectacular falls colors with dusting of snow on the mountaintops, and the greater likelihood of significant glacier calving is also an awesome experience.

Whatever time of year you choose, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. I left a little piece of my heart there back in 2006 - and I keep going back to find it, but truthfully, if it stays lost, thats fine by me!;) We're already planning our next trip back in 2012 - this time a week on land with some time in Homer (my new favorite Alaskan port, followed closely by Sitka!) and in Denali. Alaska keeps calling me home and I'm gonna keep listening:D!

It depends on where you want to go and what you want to see. The weather will be dryer earlier in the season. If you want to do a land tour, you might want to wait until late May early June. If you want to see Humpbacks and Orcas late June to early August would probably be best. Bears will probably be more visible August through early September during Salmon runs. But pretty much anytime for other wildlife. Expect rain frequently late June through August.

You have to decide what you mean by "best" and then perhaps you can make a good choice. If you want the "best" prices then the shoulder seasons of May and September would be good choices for you. If the "best" means the most hours of daylight, then mid-June to mid-July, should be your choice. Weather is unpredictable so there is no "best" time as far as weather goes, but there are periods when the average amounts of rainfall will be the lowest and the average temperatures will be the highest, but those are only averages and are made up of figures that can be considerably higher or lower than those averages. My "best" advice would be to determine which dates best fit your schedule, what type of cruise or cruisetour you want to take, and what line best fits your tastes and interests, and what prices best fit your pocketbook.

Whatever you finally decide you should come back after having enjoyed a fantastic adventure.

We've been to Alaska three times - once on the last cruise in Sept. in 2006, then the first week of June in 2008, and just this past May 31st, we went on HAL's new 14 day itinerary so we were sailing there the first two weeks of June. While September holds a special place in my heart because it was my first cruise and first time to Alaska, we enjoyed every single second - despite the early sunsets, and rainy cool weather. It was just an amazing experience all the way around! I must say though, that we've experienced much better weather (less rain, less cold) in late May/early June, plus those extra hours of daylight were the biggest bonus! On this last trip, sailing to Anchorage with sunset around midnight was an almost spiritual experience - water smooth as glass, the ship surrounded by whales everywhere you looked, the mountains behind us bathed in beautiful pink light, and Mt. St. Augustine, an active volcano, snorting steam with the sun setting behind it. Breathtaking!

Weather is always a crapshoot in Alaska - you may have sunny warm days the entire week, even in September, or you might not. If you go with the attitude that its all about Alaska - the spectacular scenery, the plentiful and amazing wildlife both on land and in the sea, and the gorgeous blue ice of the glaciers - that is all that will matter to you! Again, the plus of early June is the longer hours of daylight to explore and enjoy all of the above is certainly worth consideration. But September holds its own appeal - the nip in the air, the likelihood of seeing bears due to the late salmon runs, the spectacular falls colors with dusting of snow on the mountaintops, and the greater likelihood of significant glacier calving is also an awesome experience.

Whatever time of year you choose, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. I left a little piece of my heart there back in 2006 - and I keep going back to find it, but truthfully, if it stays lost, thats fine by me!;) We're already planning our next trip back in 2012 - this time a week on land with some time in Homer (my new favorite Alaskan port, followed closely by Sitka!) and in Denali. Alaska keeps calling me home and I'm gonna keep listening:D!

Very, very beautifully written! Thanks for posting this :D

We did the Ultimate Alaska from San Diego on May 8 and had super great weather. Some rain in San Fransisco but that was the only time, we were in tee shirts in the sun in Skagway. It was nicer there than in Vancouver.

We had the best Caving at the Hubbard Glacier. It is on U tube. Look for Radiance May 8 cruise.

We have done the last cruise of the year in Sept. and it was damp and cold. Others have had good weather in Sept.

I think it is a hard call to say when the best weather is............

DH & I are considering taking a cruise to Alaska in 2012. , was just wondering when is the best month to cruise Alaska? We don't have a specific destination & we'll be traveling from Va. Thanks in advance to any help given!:)

We've done Alaska in May and in June. I personally enjoyed the June time frame better because it's daylight for 20+ hours in most places at that time of the year. Temps are slightly warmer as well. Not like Virginia summers (especially if your from the Tidewater area), but in the mid to upper 70's and sometimes low 80's.

No way to call the weather in advance. However as a general rule, July is the best month. Wildflowers are going full tilt, bears are beginning to get ready for the salmon runs and the days are still plenty long. Alaska changes so rapidly all summer long it is hard to pick the perfect time. Just go and have a wonderful time, so worth the trip.

My vote is for July, but I am biased. Weather was generally in the mid 70's except at the glacier where we had to put on thick coats. The water is essentially a big slushy there. It rained a couple of times, but not all day and that in no way diminished the experience. Alaska is wonderful and we will definitely be going back. We may need to find other arrangements for kids, though, since there aren't a lot on those cruises.

That was my first cruise and still probably my favorite.

Thank you everyone for you advice! Today, I had a chance to look at some pics from a coworkers cruise to Alaska, they were AWESOME! Not sure when we will go but it sure looks and sounds like we will have a great time no matter when we plan to go.

Thanks again one and all!:)

Archived