Be warned re Barcelona

Missus Makkem

We have been to Barcelona before and are going back next October. We rode the metro (always felt safe) and at the time I had a less expensive Sony camera - although it was not a cheap camera by any means. I don't remember feeling worried about it. I now have a Nikon DSLR which is obviously not easy to conceal. Am I at risk by walking around with my good Nikon camera?

We're headed to Barcelona in a couple of weeks. We've done some preparations, thanks to all of the advice listed on here (and Rick Steves' books). I have a crossbody PacSafe bag to put my camera in, and we'll be using money belts. Passports will be kept in the ship's safe, but we'll carry a copy. We'll also pack a sheet with credit card phone numbers and have a global cell phone for emergenices.

It's quite funny, two years ago, we were in London and didn't have one problem. DH kept money and a card in his front pocket, and I wore a crossbody purse that wasn't a secure bag, like PacSafe. I think it was a Liz Claiborne bag with a top zipper. :o I put a camera, maps, and a water bottle in there, but no one ever came close to me. I felt that this trip, hitting Barcelona, Florence, Nice, Naples, and Rome, we'd better be a tad more vigilant about pickpocketing.

Also, we're trying not to dress like tourists...although DH won't give up his baseball hat. He says, "my bald head will burn if I don't wear it!" :p

I have been to many parts of italy and spain, I have noticed one thing that sets americans apart. We walk and talk differently, I used to think I was italian100% until I went to italy and relalized I was italian american. Amercians are a little more confident. When you get there you will understand. Also do not ask anyone but your friends to take you picture else your camera may take a trip without you. Barcelona is beautiful I have been 6xs no problems I just hold my crossbody bag with my hand.Enjoy, Maria

We have been to Barcelona before and are going back next October. We rode the metro (always felt safe) and at the time I had a less expensive Sony camera - although it was not a cheap camera by any means. I don't remember feeling worried about it. I now have a Nikon DSLR which is obviously not easy to conceal. Am I at risk by walking around with my good Nikon camera?

We took our "good" Nikon DSLR to Barcelona in January. After reading the threads on here before we left, I invested in the Pac Safe camera bag, and wore it across my chest. It's a nice bag, I felt very secure and had no problem. When I had the camera out and around my neck, I kept a hand on it to guard against snatching. Everything was fine.

Have a great trip!

Thera - see if you can get the hubby to buy a nice Panama hat to wear instead of his go-to BB hat. I bet he'd look pretty handsome in it AND he'd keep his head sun-free.

One thing to think about - the pickpocket/thieves are getting aware of those Pac-Safe bags. They are working on ways to get around them. I took my Nikon D40 with me - I just had my handbag that is a daypack style. I've used that bag everytime I've been overseas. Didn't have anyone try anything that I could tell.

We took our "good" Nikon DSLR to Barcelona in January. After reading the threads on here before we left, I invested in the Pac Safe camera bag, and wore it across my chest. It's a nice bag, I felt very secure and had no problem. When I had the camera out and around my neck, I kept a hand on it to guard against snatching. Everything was fine.

Have a great trip!

Which camera bag did you purchase? I am looking at the camsafe100, I think it should be enough room for camera and zoom lens.

Which camera bag did you purchase? I am looking at the camsafe100, I think it should be enough room for camera and zoom lens.

Yes, that's what I got, the Cam Safe 100. I have a Nikon D50 with an 18-135mm zoom lens attached, total length of camera and lens when attached is about 6.5", and with the lens attached the camera fits comfortably on its side in the bag. There's a bit more room to spare if your lens is longer. The large side zippered pocket has plently of room for my 2 spare (big) batteries and lots of memory cards (I've also used it for cash, etc.), plus room elsewhere for my little Spudz (cloth) and brush.

It's a good bag, particularly for this purpose.

I currently have the Crumpler three million dollar home - that is the name of it. :) bag. It just fits my D90 with my 18-255 Sigma travel lens attached (which I leave on all them time anymore anyway). I always carry it around my body. It is very good quality with thick straps but is red, which might make it stick out too much?

Archived