Be warned re Barcelona

Missus Makkem

We didn't get pickpocketed there but we did get pickpocketed in Naples. I felt safer in Barcelona although it was obvious that there are lots of opportunities for pickpockets: sidewalk cafes, people on scooters, lots of street performers diverting your attention. You just have to travel defensively and don't carry all your money and ID in your handbag or backpack. You might still get robbed but they won't get anything good.

Tripadvisor 2010,

today has named Barcelona as the worst city in the world for pic pockets

I've been there five times and have wandered about Las Ramblas and other touristy areas (sometimes less than sober too) and have never had a problem or seen anything. I'm sure it goes on but just use general cop on and you'll be fine, ie. don't walk around with expensive camera hanging around your neck and Ipod / wallet sticking out of your pocket. Same applies to any city

Yes Barcelona is well know for this problem , but it is nice to be reminded, and to know that major travel websites consider it to be the most serious city for this problem, thanks to the OP for the post.

Barcelona has always been know for it's pickpockets that's nothing new. Even New York is known for pickpockets.

Tripadvisor 2010,

today has named Barcelona as the worst city in the world for pic pockets

That doesn't surprise me. I've travelled extensively and always do lots of research but have never seen so many stories of pickpocketing as I've heard about Barcelona. I know of 4 people personally who've either been pickpocketed or in one case chased a thief who stole a woman's bag.

As someone said, forewarned is forearmed and just because people have been lots of times and not been robbed doesn't make it less of a problem. I've been to Barcelona 3 times and have never been pickpocketed but have witnessed the aftermath of poor people who have and think it's important that people are particularly aware of this. It won't stop me visiting such a wonderful city but I'm always ultra-aware of what's going on around me when I'm there.

Regarding awareness: we were super-aware on our Med cruise having read many posts and seen many youtube videos about pickpocketing. We still got pickpocketed, unknowingly; they are that good.

Your best bet really is to assume you may be pickpocketed regardless of your level of awareness, and travel light. Don't carry 4 credit cards and all your cash. Money and ID go in a money belt worn under your clothing, and things of little value go in your bags. And I do this in big cities in the U.S. as well.

I understand the concern as Barcelona is a embarkation port for lots of cruises, but be aware if travelling to Barcelona via Madrid. Pick pocketing and bag snatching is rife in Madrid too. I can personally vouch for that unfortunately.

Just stay aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine, you don't want to spend the first 3 hours of your vacation in the police station reporting the crime like I did!

We were in Barcelona last September for a pre and post cruise stay. My biggest concern about the city was pickpocketing. I went out and bought a neck pouch with a wire covered neck band (PACSAFE).I kept it under my shirt, and carried our passports and other important stuff in there. I did keep a small amount of money in the front pocket of my jeans. I felt very safe this way, but, still had to be streetsmart

Have a story abut Florence.... my elderly aunt had her purse taken from her bag and OH had someone try and take his camera from around his neck!

Was aware of Barcelona and we were approached in Las Ramblas but despite being called neurotic by my fellow travellers I wouldn't allow any interaction.

I understand the concern as Barcelona is a embarkation port for lots of cruises, but be aware if travelling to Barcelona via Madrid. Pick pocketing and bag snatching is rife in Madrid too. I can personally vouch for that unfortunately.

Just stay aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine, you don't want to spend the first 3 hours of your vacation in the police station reporting the crime like I did!

I think most big cities in Spain are this way, at least that's what I have read. When we visited Madrid and Barcelona, Frommers indicated that people will try and distract you and the other person comes from behind to take the bags, cameras and such. Some locals tried to do this in Madrid to us and we were both in our 30's with me being 6'4", that didn't matter. We noticed what they were trying to do and I wouldn't let anyone in back of me even though they kept moving in that direction. I had my money etc. in a travel pouch under my pants so they wouldn't have had much luck anyway. I do this when traveling in any big city or when riding the crowded subway which is the easiest way to pick pocket.

Are the cops and corts perp-friendly in Barcelona? In other words, if I defend myself, my wife and our property, and beat the crap out of a pick-pocket, will I get thrown in jail?

I personally wouldn't try that myself, when you're in a different country anything goes and I wouldn't want to be locked up there!

Barcelona is a great city, although a bit "Gaudi."

Bottom line... be aware and use common sense.

:p:p:p @ yogimax, cute!

Seriously though, I just assume I am going to be the target of some sort of incident anywhere I go and try to be vigilant about my surroundings. Barcelona seemed to have much less riffraff than we saw in Paris, Rome, Naples... but we didn't like the tacky tourist aspect of Las Ramblas and went to other areas so that may have lessened our opportunities to scope out the pickpocket crowd, and we don't wear backpacks or white sneakers and generally try to look less like American Tourists (targets) and blend a little more. It helps.

Also remember the difference between pickpocketing and violent crime. Pickpocketing= someone lifting your wallet/camera/something of value out of your back pocket, half-zipped purse or backpack either by pure stealth or a distraction technique such as the infamous bird poo ploy, shell games, or even a simple 'do you speak English' trick, plus the 'subway shove'.

What Barcelona is not known for is violent crime against tourists, such as muggings, or other more sinister potential crimes. Understand the difference, and travel with common sense and caution anywhere you go.

Just like I would not avoid Mexico because you can get sick from the water, I wouldn't avoid Barcelona because they have a high pickpocket rate. Different 'dangers' if you will, that require different levels of caution and awareness. As travelers, it is important for us to be aware of things to look out for in different places we visit around the world and our own home countries.

Visit Barcelona, it's beautiful, with wonderful food, art and architecture. But wear an over the shoulder cross-body type bag, avoid Las Ramblas when possible and always always pay attention to your personal belongings. Don't walk around staring at a map (look at your map inside a store if you need to), walk purposefully even if you don't know where you are going, and look out for packs of kids- yes, lots of the pickpocketers will be kids and teens, and also keep an eye out people who look like they don't 'belong' in the area you are in. It's hard to describe, but if you pay attention, you'll know it when you see them.

Yes Barcelona is well know for this problem , but it is nice to be reminded, and to know that major travel websites consider it to be the most serious city for this problem, thanks to the OP for the post.
I wouldn't put any stock in the notion that "a major travel website considers it to be the most serious city for this problem."

The 2010 Pickpocket Index is based solely on TripAdvisor site data

calculating the number of times travellers use the term pickpocket (and

translations of) in their TripAdvisor reviews in the last 12 months.

I wouldn't put any stock in the notion that "a major travel website considers it to be the most serious city for this problem."

The 2010 Pickpocket Index is based solely on TripAdvisor site data

calculating the number of times travellers use the term pickpocket (and

translations of) in their TripAdvisor reviews in the last 12 months.

Perhaps you need to look at the Barcelona forum on Trip Advisor - it's the only TA forum I've looked at which has a 'sticky' added at the top regarding pickpocketing and scams. Several of their forum experts (resident in Barcelona) attest to the very real problem they have there. You may not put any stock in the notion, but many people would, and advisedly so.

Barcelona is a great city, although a bit "Gaudi."

Bottom line... be aware and use common sense.

^^ LOL:D Nice one Yogi. Gaudi is as Gaudi does. ;)

How about this...all ladies carry a beach bag on shore, but put a mousetrap in it. If someone tries to pick it, they get a nice surprise...:eek:

I think it would be a hoot!...but then again I can have a twisted sense of humor.

I try to not carry a purse/bag onshore for just this reason, and to keep my hands free for banisters, handrails and holding hands with DH. :p

I carry ID, one credit card "next to my heart" and ship card on the other side. Some "small" money in pockets along with kleenex and lip gloss, so I don't loose much if pockets are picked.

Sad that we have to even have this convo, but it is a fact of travel.:(

I've traveled extensively and have only had a problem in Barcelona.

We were ripe for the picking, two guys with luggage and packpacks getting on the subway however we had talked about the pickpocketing problem before we even got there.

I wore shorts with zippered pockets and figured that I would know if I was getting robbed.

On the subway we got in and stayed with our backs next to the door, three young girls got in after us and the doors closed. For some reason I reached back to make sure my wallet was still in my zippered pocket however it was gone. I immediately turned around and said "My wallet was stolen" and grabbed the girl behind me who had a sweater over her arm.

When I did that she dropped my wallet and Patrick grabbed it as soon as it hit the floor. The three girls hit the "open door" button on the subway and jumped off before we could do anything else.

As you can imagine this all happened incredibly fast since we hadn't even left the station when all this occured and while I got my wallet back it sort of ruined Barcelona for me.

Since then, zipper or no zipper, I usually carry my wallet in my front pocket and keep my hand on it when around people.

Archived