Be warned re Barcelona

Missus Makkem

What is the point? To tell people to avoid Barcelona or to be careful?

Much ado about nothing IMHO. When out traveling use common sense. Yes some places have more opportunistic petty criminals than other places but we found Barcelona no worse then many other places I've visited.

Act like a chump and you will be taken in your home town. Act smart and be on alert in your travels and you'll be fine.

I have travelled but Barcelona was the worst place for pick pockets, I felt very tense at times , you could feel people watching you. You have to be smart everywhere but even more so in Barcelona.

The problem is, you cannot be vigilant every second of the day. There is always a time or two when you will be distracted for whatever reason. The best defense is to simply carry what you can afford to lose, and keep your money and ID in your money belt.

DH carried his backpack in front of him, and I was right next to him on the bus. The man next to him had his arms folded and used some kind of blade to make several slashes in his backpack and put his hand inside to feel around for stuff. (It was not a PacSafe bag) Because the bus was so crowded, we did not know it had happened until we were walking from the bus stop to the ship.

There are just so many people around you, so many sights, and so many possible distractions. You will be able to relax and enjoy yourself more if you realize that you have little of value that may be taken from you if you are that unlucky to be robbed.

I would also tell people to change your memory stick in your camera every day so that if your camera gets taken, you won't lose all your pictures. Maybe even take just a basic camera with you, not the latest crazy expensive model. The newer ones take excellent pictures without risking 2k worth of camera gear.

If you seem to be a difficult target they will just move onto someone else, and there are plenty of other people around swinging bags and cases for them to choose from.

The problem is, you cannot be vigilant every second of the day. There is always a time or two when you will be distracted for whatever reason. The best defense is to simply carry what you can afford to lose, and keep your money and ID in your money belt.

DH carried his backpack in front of him, and I was right next to him on the bus. The man next to him had his arms folded and used some kind of blade to make several slashes in his backpack and put his hand inside to feel around for stuff. (It was not a PacSafe bag) Because the bus was so crowded, we did not know it had happened until we were walking from the bus stop to the ship.

There are just so many people around you, so many sights, and so many possible distractions. You will be able to relax and enjoy yourself more if you realize that you have little of value that may be taken from you if you are that unlucky to be robbed.

I would also tell people to change your memory stick in your camera every day so that if your camera gets taken, you won't lose all your pictures. Maybe even take just a basic camera with you, not the latest crazy expensive model. The newer ones take excellent pictures without risking 2k worth of camera gear.

If you seem to be a difficult target they will just move onto someone else, and there are plenty of other people around swinging bags and cases for them to choose from.

Good points Marci, because one thing they do is to make a big distraction and while you are watching they are next to you taking your things.

I'm in Barcelona in December, and I'm freaked out!:eek: People are scared to go to the Mexican ports with all the reports of gang wars 1000 miles away. I have never felt unsafe in Mexico. But I feel unsafe in Barcelona, and I'm not even there yet...:o

Looks like I'll be ordering PacSafe bags. I have to get to my hotel on my own as well, and I'm even nervous about being in the airport alone.

Please don't be "freaked out", just be smart and be aware of your surroundings just like any other big city. We were in Barcelona for 4 nights and walked around the city everywhere day or night and never once encountered a problem and we always felt safe. Get a money belt or even better a money pouch that straps under your clothes, that way you can keep money, credit cards or anything else you need to carry that's flat.

Keep nothing in your pockets; don't carry cameras, bags or purses with a strap over your shoulder. I strapped my camera bag to my belt in front of me so it was in between both of my arms and in front where I could always see it. Just increase your guard if someone comes up to you and starts talking to you, that's all. It's a beautiful city and there is so much to see.

When I first started reading about the problem in Barcelona, I made a comment, to friends, that we should encircle each other while one takes their pictures to guard one another. I will pray that all thes tips I have received from CC will keep us safe on our trip next year.

I actually did this while I was withdrawing money from the ATMs (which I did in several ports as we had lots of private excursions that wanted cash). I would make the transaction while my teens stood around me, facing the crowd; I didn't turn around until my money was in the money belt.

My husband and I were in Barcelona this past July and I was a nervous wreck before I left. I always made a point to stand by the pocket on the side my husband had his money in. He never wore jeans (the khakis he had were deeper) and always kept his money in the front pockets. Like other posters have said, if you feel like you're going to be put in an uncomfortable position or place, may want to rethink certain plans. We decided we were only taking cabs to avoid the subways and buses and avoided being out late when it got dark, to avoid being lost in the dark since it was literally all forgien to us. Luckily, we had no troubles and got to see everything we wanted. We just made sure we were more in touch with what was arround us.

Please don't be "freaked out", just be smart and be aware of your surroundings just like any other big city. We were in Barcelona for 4 nights and walked around the city everywhere day or night and never once encountered a problem and we always felt safe. Get a money belt or even better a money pouch that straps under your clothes, that way you can keep money, credit cards or anything else you need to carry that's flat.

Keep nothing in your pockets; don't carry cameras, bags or purses with a strap over your shoulder. I strapped my camera bag to my belt in front of me so it was in between both of my arms and in front where I could always see it. Just increase your guard if someone comes up to you and starts talking to you, that's all. It's a beautiful city and there is so much to see.

We were totally freaked out before we left the first time to go. DH had watched U Tube videos on pickpocketing! It is fabulous city and we want to go back again! We had 11 days there in total, so we had a good experience. :) We walked all over the downtown area of the city and felt safe.

BUT, we had nothing on us when out sight seeing. We took a cab or the airport shuttle- sat beside our luggage on it or the Hop on Hop off and we were fine. Like I said earlier, no purse or wallet, nothing but lipstick for me and a nail file or such item. I had a clear bag to take bottled water, sunscreen etc. If it was gone that was OK. If you are looking carefree, maybe they feel you are not worth trying?

Just a zip inside pocket in my jacket and then this money belt thing which was also pinned inside to our clothes. DH did have the metal cable thing I described earlier for his camera and had no trouble. He downloaded daily to our netbook in the hotel.

Everything else was in the hotel safe. I had some Euros "next to my heart" for a small purchase.

We were told if we needed to go into the money belt, to go to a bathroom stall to do it.

It is a city to not miss, so much to see but you have to be aware. We did not linger watching the street performers or such. If anyone approached us we just kept moving on.

When I first started reading about the problem in Barcelona, I made a comment, to friends, that we should encircle each other while one takes their pictures to guard one another. I will pray that all thes tips I have received from CC will keep us safe on our trip next year.

This is what I did in Barcelona and in other touristy spots! I had my DS or DD stand near me and watch my purse (a pac safe bag) while I was taking pictures if there were people who were getting too close. I also added a zip tie "slider" to my camera strap so that I didn't have any slack in my strap when it was around my wrist.

I've been there five times and have wandered about Las Ramblas and other touristy areas (sometimes less than sober too) and have never had a problem or seen anything. I'm sure it goes on but just use general cop on and you'll be fine, ie. don't walk around with expensive camera hanging around your neck and Ipod / wallet sticking out of your pocket. Same applies to any city

I've also been to Barcelona and have had no problem but I say this with much warning.

"Be Street Smart"

When we were in Madrid waiting for the bullfight there was a very professional looking man in early 50's dressed in a suit with a newspaper tucked under his arm. I actually caught him (with eye contact) starting to slide his hand in the FRONT pocket of my husband's pant pocket! :eek: Yes, Front Pocket!:eek:

Luckily, as I said, I made eye contact and he very quickly walked away.

Now my husband always has his hands in his front pocket securely holding onto his wallet.

Never assume who the pickpocketer will be. It could be anyone!

We were totally freaked out before we left the first time to go. DH had watched U Tube videos on pickpocketing! It is fabulous city and we want to go back again! We had 11 days there in total, so we had a good experience. :) We walked all over the downtown area of the city and felt safe.

BUT, we had nothing on us when out sight seeing. We took a cab or the airport shuttle- sat beside our luggage on it or the Hop on Hop off and we were fine. Like I said earlier, no purse or wallet, nothing but lipstick for me and a nail file or such item. I had a clear bag to take bottled water, sunscreen etc. If it was gone that was OK. If you are looking carefree, maybe they feel you are not worth trying?

Just a zip inside pocket in my jacket and then this money belt thing which was also pinned inside to our clothes. DH did have the metal cable thing I described earlier for his camera and had no trouble. He downloaded daily to our netbook in the hotel.

Everything else was in the hotel safe. I had some Euros "next to my heart" for a small purchase.

We were told if we needed to go into the money belt, to go to a bathroom stall to do it.

It is a city to not miss, so much to see but you have to be aware. We did not linger watching the street performers or such. If anyone approached us we just kept moving on.

Sounds like you did everything correctly and smart! We flew into Madrid and stayed there for 3 nights, then flew to Barcelona for 4 nights ending up in Malaga (my least favorite only because there were more Europeans than Spaniards there) and Gibraltar.

Madrid was the only place where we encountered a possible issue one night in the "club" section off of the subway, but we quickly knew what was happening and when they tried to stand behind me, I moved to the side preventing them. They soon realized that we were too street smart for them and moved on, I actually I found it amusing. They wouldn't have gotten anything out of my pockets anyway since it was totally under my clothes.:D

whose opinion,

this was a announcement on the BBC radio main news,

posting was to enlighten cruises who do not often frequent these pages?

The opinion of the writer http://www.nydailynews.com/travel/2010/09/15/2010-09-15_watch_your_wallets_new_travel_data_names_worlds_worse_cities_for_pickpockets_.html

No mention of RIO, in my opinion is the worst I have been to!

Please don't take offense is was not slamming you only the article's accuracy.

DH stands guard when I take pictures, and vice versa.

We were in Barcelona in 2005 and were hit by flying coffee from above. A man coming the other way immediately invited us into an apartment foyer to help us clean up. How convenient.:rolleyes: He got nothing on the episode, but I got to walk back to the hotel covered in coffee.:mad:

I chalked it up to experience. We rode the subway unmolested, watched the street performers with one eye while watching for pickpockets, saw the Sagrada Familia and the Picasso Museum, found the umbrella/fan store that started my fan obsession and had a grand time in spite of that single misadventure. But I can't say that Barcelona is my favorite city.

When we were in Madrid waiting for the bullfight there was a very professional looking man in early 50's dressed in a suit with a newspaper tucked under his arm. I actually caught him (with eye contact) starting to slide his hand in the FRONT pocket of my husband's pant pocket! :eek: Yes, Front Pocket!:eek:

Luckily, as I said, I made eye contact and he very quickly walked away.

This is a really good post. First of all don't assume that all pickpockets will be scruffy and shifty looking. A good friend of mine had her bag stolen in a cafe in Barcelona by a very smart 'business man' with a laptop case who (she realised afterwards) slid his newspaper over her bag and dropped it in the laptop bag.

Also please make eye contact with anyone you suspect. We've done this twice in Barcelona with people we were pretty sure were thinking of robbing us and they soon slink away. They're not looking for confrontation and would rather move on to the next target if they think they've been rumbled.

Just back from 'barcelona' cruise, we spent days in barcelona before and after the cruise, went on hop-on/hop-off, used the subway, went to football game, walked the gothic route, spent evenings on the rambla. we took no special measures and had no problems, we heard nothing fro other guests in hotel or cruise.

i acknowledge that pickpopckets are a problem but it is no reason to avoid this super city. just stay alert and only carry what you need.

We were in Barcelona pre and post cruise this past summer. We never felt uncomfortable and walked everywhere but were extremely cautious and keep our wits about us. DH had a money belt and I used a cross-body purse.

A few weeks later I was in an upscale department store in a suburban New Jersey mall. It was fairly empty but I heard yelling from the cosmetics department, "stop her, she stole my purse." A good samaritan stopped the thief and waited until security came.

You have to be careful everywhere, because it can happen anywhere.

Is it really that awful to wear white sneakers? I only have white, and have an awful time finding comfortable shoes. I'm going to look like a tourist anyway, I hope the shoes won't matter that much. We will be cautious. Thanks for all the information. The stories are fascinating. :)

Sorry, but most, if not all women in any big city, European or American, don't wear white sneakers anywhere, including the gym. All the major shoe manufacturers that carry a wide range of sneaker sizes, sell black or dark colored sneakers. Try Easy Spirit, New Balance, Clarks. Also, brands sold on QVC.COM.

Yes, you'll still look like a tourist, but not stick out like a sore thumb.

We were in Barcelona pre and post cruise this past summer. We never felt uncomfortable and walked everywhere but were extremely cautious and keep our wits about us. DH had a money belt and I used a cross-body purse.

A few weeks later I was in an upscale department store in a suburban New Jersey mall. It was fairly empty but I heard yelling from the cosmetics department, "stop her, she stole my purse." A good samaritan stopped the thief and waited until security came.

You have to be careful everywhere, because it can happen anywhere.

Sure it can happen anywhere but in places like Barcelona they practically give out college degrees in how to steal from tourists. Those thieves are trained and trained well in their craft.

Just do not stop and watch the three card monty, they have shills and pickpockets in the crowd. Coming from NY we know better, but was shocked at those who crowded around, that is asking for it. Just be alert and know where your valuables are at all times, by a packsafe bag that can not be slashed.

We were there on Sept 1 and only walked down 1 block and my sister noticed that a lady had just had her purse taken and tourist were running after the 2 people- into a hotel lobby. We turned the corner and got out of the area asap. We were doing the hop on/hop off bus. It was kinda scary. This was around 2:00pm in the afternoon.

Jan

We were in Barcelona (and Naples and Rome and etc.) in May. We used a Pacsafe cross body bag and never had a problem. We were very careful as we had read all the stories but never felt threatened even taking the train. I did see some guys hustling some American girls trying to get them to take out their wallets while begging for money for the train. I was just waiting for one of them to snatch and run but the girls were smart and walked on. Be prepared and you should be fine.

UmTerp I hadn't thought of the Zip lock Ties, DH has a storeroom full of those and gets more in his stocking at Christmas :).

Critterchick, I seem to recall a post regarding getting coffee over them, perhaps that was yours I read. Would this have been on the Spain Ports of Call boards. I have purchased my Pac Safe Camera bag and a Money belt along with a pac Safe Wallet for DH.

Sorry, but most, if not all women in any big city, European or American, don't wear white sneakers anywhere, including the gym. All the major shoe manufacturers that carry a wide range of sneaker sizes, sell black or dark colored sneakers. Try Easy Spirit, New Balance, Clarks. Also, brands sold on QVC.COM.

Yes, you'll still look like a tourist, but not stick out like a sore thumb.

I have white runners... :rolleyes: So it's not ALL women, and I do live in a big city.

I am not a fashion maven, especially while working out or touring a city. :rolleyes: I really don't care if someone cluck clucks as to what I am wearing... I do clean up nicely, however. :p

Archived