Is there a morgue onboard?

obmarcr

What? ..not in here??

ColdBox-3700.jpg

..along with all the butter, bacon and steak? :D

-------------------------

Above shot taken in one of the several freezers

on a Royal Caribbean RADIANCE Class vessel. ;)

Probably not. But just in case avoid the Soylent Green appetizer. ;)

We were on a ship that had 3 people die, another had a heart attack at a slot machine and was brought back(we were standing 10 feet away from him when he went face first into the machine, luckily there was a nurse cruising and got to work on him immediately because it took 4 minutes for the EMT's to show and additional 7 minutes for someone to come with a defibulator), and one that had a heart attack and was helicoptered away. The slot machine guy was taken off the ship the next day at a Mexican port. One of the people that died on the ship was right across the hall from me. They cleaned the room thoroughly and the next day there was a new couple in the room. I guess news of an upgrade went out.

I would hope to kick the bucket on a cruise ship on the last night of the cruise. I would rather be tossed into the Caribbean and let the sharks and other fish eat me......I'd make a nice snack for a tiger shark....

I did the Behind the Fun on the Glory and they did mention there is a morgue with coffins, but didn't show us where it was.

Someone did it one better. I was on the Oosterdam repo to Europe in 2009. Spent three days in Rome at the end. On my flight home, I was seated next to a couple who had also been on the cruise. They said there was a very elderly couple on the cruise. They debarked in Rome, and had a HAL transfer to the airport. The lady stayed by the bus to make sure the luggage got on, while her husband boarded the bus. When she got on the bus, he had died. EM

Call me "shocked and amazed" when you said it was a HAL cruise.:eek: I bet they are very well equipped for just this situation.

But, seriously, they at least were doing something fun and it was quick. My mom went shopping, slipped and fell. She hit her chin but since she was on coumadin, it caused a massive brain bleed. She passed 2 days later. Quick and not a burden to her family and doing one of her favorite things. 2 months later, we put her to sea as she wanted. I hope to go just as quick and then half of me in the mountains and half to the sea. Do you think I could get a DOD in the crematory with me? ;)

Edited by fouremmetts

Call me "shocked and amazed" when you said it was a HAL cruise.:eek: I bet they are very well equipped for just this situation.

But, seriously, they at least were doing something fun and it was quick. My mom went shopping, slipped and fell. She hit her chin but since she was on coumadin, it caused a massive brain bleed. She passed 2 days later. Quick and not a burden to her family and doing one of her favorite things. 2 months later, we put her to sea as she wanted. I hope to go just as quick and then half of me in the mountains and half to the sea. Do you think I could get a DOD in the crematory with me? ;)

LOL...I always told DH that when I die, cremate me after organ donation, go on a cruise, order a big foo foo drink, pour me in,stir me up and dump it over board. My last drink and my last cruise...seriously, tho, must be so heartbreaking for family members to have someone pass. On our 2/10/13 Miracle cruise we had great tablemates. A couple, then a wife and on lst day she was alone, said DH was so tired since he had to drive from Toronto to NY in one day...we all hit it off fabulously. 2nd day she said DH still not feeling well, might be coming down with a cold and still tired...the rest of us had fun and hung out...3rd day same...then there was a Bright Star announcement in the mid of the night...and we KNEW. This man had a heart attack and passed. :( We never saw the DW again (not using names to protect privacy) They were both in their late 50's. I cannot for the life of me imagine what she went thru...and the cruise after us the 18 yo young man from Saratoga, NY passed...so it is a reality, like everything else, esp. with what has happened in Boston and TX this week, we lost friends and neighbors on 9/11....take NOTHING for granted... ENJOY it ALL.

I don't know if they get involved for cruise ships at American ports, but with airlines (international, at least), the CDC gets contacted with regards to deaths in flight to rule out any infectious disease.

Depending on the circumstances, they'll often give the okay to clear the plane over the phone. For example, if the person was 95 and has a history of heart issues, they're not too concerned. However it was a 24 year old guy who just dropped dead, or someone exhibiting sings of severe illness, they'll quarantine the aircraft until they come to the scene to eliminate the possibility of a contagion.

Prop me up by the Lido if I die

:D

True story, my sister was on a cruise a few years back and a woman died laying in a lounge chair on lido!! None of the passengers noticed until her husband came by to see about her and she was dead!!

Way to go, beat being a hospital wasting away. Go while you are having fun!!

We were on a ship that had 3 people die,

another had a heart attack at a slot machine and was brought back

(we were standing 10 feet away from him when he went face first into the machine,

and one that had a heart attack and was helicoptered away.

The slot machine guy was taken off the ship the next day at a Mexican port.

One of the people that died on the ship was right across the hall from me.

I am not cruising with you! :D

IDK why I just read this entire thread and temporarily ruined my excitement of my upcoming cruise. I am not a fan at all of being anywhere near where dead people are or where they died. Heck, my grandmother that I loved very much passed in my mom's house and two years later I still don't like staying there.

IDK why I just read this entire thread and temporarily ruined my excitement of my upcoming cruise. I am not a fan at all of being anywhere near where dead people are or where they died. Heck, my grandmother that I loved very much passed in my mom's house and two years later I still don't like staying there.

I read the entire thread too... Then of course I had to google the odds of dying on a cruise ship and ship dangers... :rolleyes: I discovered its mostly younger drunk people or people who are elderly. I am only 27 and don't drink much so may the odds be in my favor.. :D

Obmarcr, your question sees a litle errie, but sad at the same time.

I noticed you just got off of the Inspiration. We are thinking of doing this ship in the fall. Have you done a review on it where someone could read it? If not, would you mind giving me your pros/cons of the ship, and the itinerary. Yes, I know this is your opinion, and I like to read "everyones" opinion.

I read the entire thread too... Then of course I had to google the odds of dying on a cruise ship and ship dangers... :rolleyes: I discovered its mostly younger drunk people or people who are elderly. I am only 27 and don't drink much so may the odds be in my favor.. :D
Haha. Well thanks for doing the google work for me. I am 29 and barely drink so those odds are ok for me. I am though more afraid of the people around me dying than I am for myself. LOL.

Haha. Well thanks for doing the google work for me. I am 29 and barely drink so those odds are ok for me. I am though more afraid of the people around me dying than I am for myself. LOL.

I have this fear of drinking one to many and flying off my balcony, which I know can't actually happen. I'm a bit of a irrational person when it comes to potential dangers... :rolleyes: Atleast it gives my husband something to laugh at...

We were on a ship that had 3 people die, another had a heart attack at a slot machine and was brought back(we were standing 10 feet away from him when he went face first into the machine, luckily there was a nurse cruising and got to work on him immediately because it took 4 minutes for the EMT's to show and additional 7 minutes for someone to come with a defibulator), and one that had a heart attack and was helicoptered away. The slot machine guy was taken off the ship the next day at a Mexican port. One of the people that died on the ship was right across the hall from me. They cleaned the room thoroughly and the next day there was a new couple in the room. I guess news of an upgrade went out.

People were just dying to get in that room

• 10 months later...
As ex crew, yes for fact there is a morgue and yes there is a brig... Morgue holds 3, and the brig is a small entirely padded cell with tiny window in the door.

When I had to go to see the ship's physician on the Carnival Miracle - March 2013 - NYC to Long Beach via Panama Canal, I noticed a small open cabinet that had a "Morgue" sign on it. It looked more like a proofing cabinet and wasn't very tall. Looked like it could hold three bodies. Hanging on the wall were some long trays that slide into the Morgue. It also had a ON OFF switch. Policy is to remove the body at the next port IF they will accept it. Shipment home is up to relatives. BUY INSURANCE FOR YOUR CRUISE TO COVER DEATH AND ILLNESS WHICH MAY REQUIRE AIR EVACUATION BACK HOME. It's not that expensive and will save you thousands of duckets. THEY DO NOT PUT BODIES IN FOOD FRIDGES OR FREEZERS. Don't believe those stories. It's against maritime laws, not to mention health regulations.