Is there a morgue onboard?

obmarcr

took the behind the scenes tour on the Dream. There is a morgue on the Dream. There is room for 3 bodies.

Well we just got off the Dream this morning 9/18/10 and while we were waiting in our room to disembark, I watched a black SUV pull up and a body was removed from the ship and placed in the vehicle.

We heard nothing on the ship of a death, but it is sad indeed.

Well we just got off the Dream this morning 9/18/10 and while we were waiting in our room to disembark, I watched a black SUV pull up and a body was removed from the ship and placed in the vehicle.

thats creepy

Ok, so we're all being horrid with our fun-loving treatment of death on a cruise ship. But I would prefer a quickie death while having fun on a cruise, rather than the alternative involving a hospital and doctors and surgeries. Even better with a Jack Daniels in my hand! :cool:

for all those who have lost a loved one on a cruise my sympathies to you. It would be sad to loose your loved one at anytime doing anything, but at least you were with them in the final moments doing something you've planned for awhile.

I've spent more planning of my cruise than my daughters wedding.

Ok, so we're all being horrid with our fun-loving treatment of death on a cruise ship. But I would prefer a quickie death while having fun on a cruise, rather than the alternative involving a hospital and doctors and surgeries. Even better with a Jack Daniels in my hand! :cool:

Ask and you will receive [ scott]

Cheers to you my like minded friend! May we pass swift and quickly (at our proper/designated times) with a drink in our hand. Is that an Irish blessing? If not, as a designated Irish I now pronounce it an Irish blessing..... :D

Edited by omgrl79

OMG that's sad to see.:eek:

I'm pretty sure death comes around even for those who don't think it's a joke.

Very good, Lemur.

The key, either way, is to live your life so in the event death comes today . . . you'll feel you got your money's worth.:D

(statistically, the most dangerous single day of anyone's life is their 21st birthday) :rolleyes:

They have special accomodations for the dearly departed. You can view it here.

Hey - if you die before the first non-US port of call, can your estate invoke the Vacation Guarantee? It would be a shame to lose those cruise days just because you die!

I think I'd rather have an inside cabin!

• 2 years later...

Yes indeed. A lot of people think they put the deceased in a frozen meat locker, or some other food storage. Not true at all. It would be against health regulations. When I was seeing the ship's doctor on the Miracle, I noticed what looked to be a bread proofing cabinet. However, the label said "Morgue" and looked like it could hold up to four cadavers. It was turned off. When someone dies on a cruise, if it's a short seven day or less, they may keep it refriderated to 42 degrees until return to port. A lot of countries will not accept cadavers from other countries due to health regulations. If the cruise is longer, they will try and disembark the cadaver in another country if they will accept it for air travel back to the port. A very interesting story is one where a son and elderly mother were on a lengthy world cruise when she died. He made advance arrangements to have her cremated at the next port, inured, and he took her on the remainder of the cruise. So, YES, there are specific on all cruise ships that are hard to see. How about burial at sea for old salts?

Edited by oldsarge

Holy Moly....it is amazing how these threads get resurrected. One of our tablemate's DH died on our 2/10/13 Miracle cruise, right before our stop at Nassau which was our lst POC. From what we assume, she flew home from Nassau but his body was left on the ship. We actually were behind the medical examiner's van when it pulled out at the pier in Manhattan when we got home. And of course, there is the young man who died on the cruise right after ours...:(

a freezer- not the freezer. There is no way that they would be allowed to use the food freezer.
What? ..not in here??

ColdBox-3700.jpg

..along with all the butter, bacon and steak? :D

-------------------------

Above shot taken in one of the several freezers

on a Royal Caribbean RADIANCE Class vessel. ;)

We were at Chizn-Itza (Mayan pyramid near Progresso, Mexico) A family including an older man climbed the big pyramid, and he sat on the sacrificial bench to catch his breath (where the Mayans cut the hearts out of their sacrifices).

As we reached the bottom, we heard a commotion on top. We learned later that the guy had a stroke or aneurysm, and DIED UP THERE. As our tour group looped back around, we saw them bringing the body down the VERY steep steps wrapped in a blanket and strapped to one of those back-boards.

The family was standing there in shock. We wondered how they'd be reunited with their belongings... I mean, the family would have stayed in Progresso to make arrangements for the body to be shipped home, right?

What does the cruise ship do at that point? Have the steward pack up their stuff? Or would some member of the family have to rush back, grab all their things and get off before they set sail?

I did the behind the scenes tour on the Breeze and thr Brig and Morgue was side by side...we where told that the only a body can leave the ship why we are on the cruise is if the island we are at accept the body not all island except bodies....and the morgue holds three bodies