Great article on Unrealistic Expectations

bepsf

That is true....most people that cruise seem to cruise again...so why do we spend so much time complaining about an experience we are willing to repeat over and over again. Human nature is a funny thing!!!

Hmmm!

What makes you think that we will be doing the same itinerary, or crusing again with the same company?

Hmmm!

What makes you think that we will be doing the same itinerary, or crusing again with the same company?

I don't know that you will do the same itinerary or the same company, but there are only so many cruise lines out there and people cruise again and again and again....just my opinion....take it for what it is worth to you.

Unrealistic expectations can also be directly linked to the gross sense of entitlement that pervades almost every aspect of our lives now. If the cruise experience promised in the marketing doesn't match or exceed what's actually delivered then people immediately start to complain that they've been "ripped off". And let's not forget that there are always a vocal minority who will always find something, anything, to whinge about.

Who was it who famously said something along the lines: You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Over the past 15 years in retirement, we knew of at least thirty couples in our area who cruise/cruised. All but one couple have cruised more than once, I don't believe however, that anything could please the male side of the hold out couple.

john

The reason, from experience, of why most people I have met on the Regent and other luxury lines is not snob appeal... No, it is quite the oppsite. Its a way to experience the delight of travel and the ocean, with other other kindered sprits

Everyone I have met on the ship feels he or she is the the equal to the other passengers and ther is not a us and them.

It is taking a cruise on a ship as large as Holland Americas with 1/2 the passengers but twice the staff.

Because of the price you find almost zero children on the ship.

Food and wine offerings are of an exceptional level and the equal to many 2 star Michelin.. and the dining is in grand ambiance..for people who like it that way. No one is into eating their cruise fare...

Shore excursions are total different... and way more interesting. When setting up shore excursions for a ship of 2000 you are limited instead of a ship of 600 to 700

The enrichment programs are fantastic and port talks are in depth...and dont deal with what to buy and where. You have the opportunity so afterwards sit down with some really interesting people afterwards , maybe over lunch or drink.

No one is wearing a gold chain and no buffet hounds.. and manners abound as soft spoken adults converse.

If none of these are of interest then fine... you might not see the value in it.. and view it as a waste or worse yet assume that people who like these more expensive cruises are doing it to show off or just plain vanity... look at me.

I went to Regent after the majority of ships went after the family $$ and the experience descended into hell for me.

I am one of those who still thinks crusing is an adults only pastime and something for children to aspire to attain in their future life as adults... and not be given. But thats me...and I had kids but I never took them to adult activites because they were children and out of respect for the other adults. For the same reason I woll pony up for first class to likewise escape a pack of shreeking toddlers and associated waifs.

I am willing to pay the extra, not because I am rich ( I am not in any way) but because I get way more value and a more personal experience. I come away with new appreciations and insight and feel way less stressed... it is way more personal and intimate a journey.... with other like minded people. and I realized God dosent give transfers.

Holland america in not bad.... And I enjoy cruising on them too but for differing reasons... I am more focused on what I want...and, I can deal with any problems as routine because I expect them in advance and have the mind set they wont bother me or effect the rest of my life.

The reason, from experience, of why most people I have met on the Regent and other luxury lines is not snob appeal... No, it is quite the oppsite. Its a way to experience the delight of travel and the ocean, with other other kindered sprits

Everyone I have met on the ship feels he or she is the the equal to the other passengers and ther is not a us and them.

It is taking a cruise on a ship as large as Holland Americas with 1/2 the passengers but twice the staff.

Food and wine offerings are of an exceptional level and the equal to many 2 star Michelin.. and the dining is in grand ambiance..for people who like it that way. No one is into eating their cruise fare...

Shore excursions are total different... and way more interesting. When setting up shore excursions for a ship of 2000 you are limited instead of a ship of 600 to 700

The enrichment programs are fantastic and port talks are in depth...and dont deal with what to buy and where. You have the opportunity so afterwards sit down with some really interesting people afterwards , maybe over lunch or drink.

No one is wearing a gold chain and no buffet hounds.. and manners abound as soft spoken adults converse.

If none of these are of interest then fine... you might not see the value in it.. and view it as a waste or worse yet assume that people who like these more expensive cruises are doing it to show off or just plain vanity... look at me.

I went to Regent after the majority of ships went after the family $$ and the experience descended into hell for me.

I am one of those who still thinks crusing is an adults only pastime and something for children to aspire to attain in their future life as adults... and not be given. But thats me...and I had kids but I never took them to adult activites because they were children and out of respect for the other adults. For the same reason I woll pony up for first class to likewise escape a pack of shreeking toddlers and associated waifs.

I am willing to pay the extra, not because I am rich ( I am not in any way) but because I get way more value and a more personal experience. I come away with new appreciations and insight and feel way less stressed... it is way more personal and intimate a journey.... with other like minded people. and I realized God dosent give transfers.

Holland america in not bad.... And I enjoy cruising on them too but for differing reasons... I am more focused on what I want...and, I can deal with any problems as routine because I expect them in advance and have the mind set they wont bother me or effect the rest of my life.

Try MV Discovery or Voyages to Antiquity - you will get even more enrichment and stimulating conversation, and far better itineraries for a lot less money than Regent since there is no snob appeal whatsoever in your choice of Regent. You sound like you would love them. Old British sailing traditions, discreet, lovely manners, No yeehaw. But then I digress, this is the HAL board.

...but there are only so many cruise lines out there and people cruise again and again and again....

Got to wonder if you have traveled on all the lines, and every itinerary. Are you sure that there isn't a better trip available, and at a better value?

How do you avoid problem ships and boring excursions?

Forgive me for asking all these questions. You seem to be a mighty expert on the subject of cruising.

Got to wonder if you have traveled on all the lines, and every itinerary. Are you sure that there isn't a better trip available, and at a better value?

How do you avoid problem ships and boring excursions?

Forgive me for asking all these questions. You seem to be a mighty expert on the subject of cruising.

Sorry but to me it seems your observation is a trifle 'harsh' as 'dewong2008' does not hold themselves out to be anything approaching an 'expert' on cruising - just making some observations which they are entitled to do on CC and making them quite well..but JMO..

Having a bad day are we? :)

Just wanted to say that I very much enjoyed your posts on this thread.

AG

Not at all!

I had an enjoyable trip, though I had some criticism of HAL. See here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1274424&highlight=

Today, I find DeWong complaining about the complainers. Seems that DeWong is having a bad day.

“That is true....most people that cruise seem to cruise again...SO WHY DO WE SPEND SO MUCH TIME COMPLAINING ABOUT AN EXPERIENCE WE ARE WILLING TO REPEAT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Human nature is a funny thing!!! … I don't know that you will do the same itinerary or the same company, but there are only so many cruise lines out there and people cruise again and again and again....just my opinion....take it for what it is worth to you.”

Normally, I would ignore these comments. But, it sounds like DeWong is offering us strong advise.

I'm sure that DeWong means well. But, I wonder if he is really the master cruiser that he sounds like. Can he speak for all of us? I will be happy to hear the man explain himself. ;)

Not at all!

Today, I find DeWong complaining about the complainers. Seems that DeWong is having a bad day.

“That is true....most people that cruise seem to cruise again...SO WHY DO WE SPEND SO MUCH TIME COMPLAINING ABOUT AN EXPERIENCE WE ARE WILLING TO REPEAT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Human nature is a funny thing!!! … I don't know that you will do the same itinerary or the same company, but there are only so many cruise lines out there and people cruise again and again and again....just my opinion....take it for what it is worth to you.”

Normally, I would ignore these comments. But, it sounds like DeWong is offering us strong advise.

I'm sure that DeWong means well. But, I wonder if he is really the master cruiser that he sounds like. Can he speak for all of us? I will be happy to hear the man explain himself. ;)

:/...

Sorry but to me it seems your observation is a trifle 'harsh' as 'dewong2008' does not hold themselves out to be anything approaching an 'expert' on cruising - just making some observations which they are entitled to do on CC and making them quite well..but JMO..

Thanks

Not at all!

I had responded to your message but I asked the moderators of the board to delete it because it was not an appropriate response on these boards.

I will not be responding in any other fashion to your statements so please do not comment about me anymore.

Just returned the favor...While there are those such as yourself, who are not only able to but say so, there are many who just can't appreciate what is being said or respond with civility either..it's sad! :(

Have happy cruisin'! :)

Unfortunately, that included me last night before I had the post removed:( I apologize to anyone that read it.

:)

Social dynamics is a strange and wonderful thing. Many forum regulars develop a sense of ownership. That is, forum regulars develop an attachment to the forum and loyalty to the brand.

Ownership is a good thing when it is directed at an organization's key success factors. Staff members create value when they take personal responsibility for a guest's welfare and enjoyment.

In lieu of a customer focus, ownership can turn political and nasty. Owners can coalesce into opposing groups. Each with a clear identity and POV. For example, 'snobs' against 'anti-snobs'. Have we not had long and bitter running battles on trivial matters?

What is the cruise industry about? It's about leisure and enjoyment. Let's remember this the next time we feel offended by someone's remarks.

It's not just about ME and my space. It's also about someone else who spends his own money his way.

Let's use this forum to share information and experiences so that we can maximize the good and avoid the bad. Let's be inclusive rather than exclusive! Isn't it better to be nice?

Air Gorilla ET AL

your more than welcome......;)

In re reading some other comments... let me add I have never carried a ballance on any credit card ..ever and only have a small home loan to contend with.. I write checks for all my cruise and dont have a home equity loan either. I dont post on face book about my travels.. they are personal and private experiences I share with my wife and close friends.

I planned for a life of travel experiences 40 years ago and did not buy anything that I could not rent or borrow but I own my own tux ( walden pond ethic ; thanks to Thoreau) I drive a wonderful 1988 chevy Real Utility Vehicle. I like both luxury and rough adventure in a mix and not exclusively one or the other, cordon bleu to Jack in the box....are equalu pleasing .

Travel is the one experience wherein we are afforded the opportunity to compare and expand on our own life and self.

I think the verse"

A man who is a deramer, yet never takes leave, will live in a world that is just make beleive.

. He will never know passion, never know pain, and as He looks out his window may one day sees rain.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead, today and tomorrow are yet to be said...

the chances the changes are all yours to make...

the mold of your life in in your hands too break "

Travel is my path to the future via the past.

HD

Unfortunately, that included me last night before I had the post removed:( I apologize to anyone that read it.

:)

for myself anyway, my apology if it even seemed I suggested u weren't civil!

As a matter of fact, I found u to be almost overly civil...behaving better than I might if so provoked!! :)

Not at all sorry u had the post removed - it was deserved but of course, JMO...

'HappyInVan' - Enjoyed your most excellent post...with one provisio :) - 'isn't it better to be nice' oh yes and carry a big stick...:D

for myself anyway, my apology if it even seemed I suggested u weren't civil!

As a matter of fact, I found u to be almost overly civil...behaving better than I might if so provoked!! :)

Not at all sorry u had the post removed - it was deserved but of course, JMO...

'HappyInVan' - Enjoyed your most excellent post...with one provisio :) - 'isn't it better to be nice' oh yes and carry a big stick...:D

You did not imply I was rude...it was only the last post that I had removed that I considered to be rude and more like a 2 year old than an adult.

I try only to "carry a big stick" (literally) when I am in the field with my Ram and my Ewes are in season....the rest of the time, I prefer to walk softly :cool:

In 1990 we sold our home and lived in an 8 ft. by 20 ft. "camper" for 2 years in order to save every penny we could get our hands on to start our own business. The kids were out of college, married and on their own, and we were determined to fulfill our life long dream. In 1998 we had the business on it's feet running successfully having not left it's side for 7 years..... Needless to say we had worked our butts off and were totally exhausted when someone suggested we take a cruise. We had since gotten a nice home, nothing elaborate but a blessing nonetheless.

The 16 day cruise through the Panama Canal was exactly what we needed.... We couldn't afford the BEST room but we did get a balcony..... I think we slept the first two days! Even now I cannot think of one wrong thing about that trip, it was wonderful, it was perfect! Every little detail was just what it should have been. We were so thrilled to have time off and get away they could have told us we had to sleep in the kitchen and we would still have been happy.

While on the cruise I over heard a lady one day complaining about the size of her shower....... I just had to shake my head and thought to myself "lady you don't know what a small shower is"! I will never forget that! I was so grateful for every little thing....just getting to go, the service, no phones or alarm clocks or customers needing me right now, time to eat an uninterrupted meal that someone else had actually prepared and served to me, breakfast in bed if I chose, sweet orange slices served in a chilled silver cup, and the list goes on and on.

In fact that cruise was so perfect we have hesitated booking another one because we were afraid nothing could ever top that. However we just did..... On the Rotterdam to Hawaii & the South Pacific March 2011...... to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and other milestones.

Since the days in the camper, the business is a success and we've retired turning it over to the kids, I have gone thru cancer plus a remission, a flight for life caused from a severe heart attack that left me in a coma for 5 days after having "lost" me" 3 times, and a bad back. Do you think there is any chance I'm going to complain about anything?......No way...... Whats the worst that could happen, a tough steak? A lumpy pillow?.....

In my opinion the worst thing would be that I would not be here to go at all. I don't care what one pays or which cabin they get, It seems to me that some "complainers" just forget to count their blessings.......If they bothered to do so they would realize the good always out weighs the bad and the bad is not really THAT bad! Thanks for a great great post Brian.

In 1990 we sold our home and lived in an 8 ft. by 20 ft. "camper" for 2 years in order to save every penny we could get our hands on to start our own business. The kids were out of college, married and on their own, and we were determined to fulfill our life long dream. In 1998 we had the business on it's feet running successfully having not left it's side for 7 years..... Needless to say we had worked our butts off and were totally exhausted when someone suggested we take a cruise. We had since gotten a nice home, nothing elaborate but a blessing nonetheless.

The 16 day cruise through the Panama Canal was exactly what we needed.... We couldn't afford the BEST room but we did get a balcony..... I think we slept the first two days! Even now I cannot think of one wrong thing about that trip, it was wonderful, it was perfect! Every little detail was just what it should have been. We were so thrilled to have time off and get away they could have told us we had to sleep in the kitchen and we would still have been happy.

While on the cruise I over heard a lady one day complaining about the size of her shower....... I just had to shake my head and thought to myself "lady you don't know what a small shower is"! I will never forget that! I was so grateful for every little thing....just getting to go, the service, no phones or alarm clocks or customers needing me right now, time to eat an uninterrupted meal that someone else had actually prepared and served to me, breakfast in bed if I chose, sweet orange slices served in a chilled silver cup, and the list goes on and on.

In fact that cruise was so perfect we have hesitated booking another one because we were afraid nothing could ever top that. However we just did..... On the Rotterdam to Hawaii & the South Pacific March 2011...... to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and other milestones.

Since the days in the camper, the business is a success and we've retired turning it over to the kids, I have gone thru cancer plus a remission, a flight for life caused from a severe heart attack that left me in a coma for 5 days after having "lost" me" 3 times, and a bad back. Do you think there is any chance I'm going to complain about anything?......No way...... Whats the worst that could happen, a tough steak? A lumpy pillow?.....

In my opinion the worst thing would be that I would not be here to go at all. I don't care what one pays or which cabin they get, It seems to me that some "complainers" just forget to count their blessings.......If they bothered to do so they would realize the good always out weighs the bad and the bad is not really THAT bad! Thanks for a great great post Brian.

Well said :D

Very well said!! If something goes wrong on a ship (and lets face it they are at sea constantly....something is bound to break!!) you have a choice, as a passenger, to either let it ruin your vacation by spending the rest or your time complaining about it OR you can "go with the flow" and accept that, for the most part, the staff will do what they can to fix whatever broke as fast as they can AND decided to just enjoy your vacation anyway.

Your comment about the small shower said it all.

My first cruise was 12 years ago. I have the best memories of it. It was so amazing to go somewhere like that. You were always pampered and it was amazing. I don't think anything ever compares to that first cruise, but I have cruised several times since then and I have loved them all. Some have definitely been better than others, and I do have my favorite cruise lines, but they have all been great vacations.

Anyway, I hope that you really enjoy your second cruise as well. With the attitude you seem to have, I am sure that you will!!!

In re reading some other comments... let me add I have never carried a ballance on any credit card .. I planned for a life of travel experiences 40 years ago and did not buy anything that I could not rent or borrow... Travel is the one experience wherein we are afforded the opportunity to compare and expand on our own life and self... Travel is my path to the future via the past.

HD

Thanks to Hawaiidan for the insight. I congragulate the man for his disciplined and focused way of life, and a positive philosophy.

You can't say that everyone (or anyone) on the premium cruises are snobs. There are many people cruising for many different reasons.

For myself, I am willing to tough it all in an inside cabin. However, I will be willing for a change after the second/third/fourth/fifth cruise. However, I always like to know what I am getting into. So that I have realistic expectations!!!

Some of the Regent cruises look competitive with HAL; with the free airfare, excursions and drinks. For example, a Regent non-balcony stateroom is $350/night on the Alaska run (after freebies).

A HAL oceanview room (unobstructed) is about $200/night. So, you would pay Regent an extra $100/night for a extra 100sf of space and a premium experience.

A HAL verandah suite is about $300/night. I would think that a Regent non-balcony stateroom is better value than a HAL verandah suite because both are 300sf. And, you don't really need a balcony on the Alaska run in May and September.

What do you guys think? Anyone cruise both companies?

We've cruised with HAL and will be crusing with Regent early 2011. The reason for choosing Regent was, as usual, mainly to do with itinerary but the idea of a fully inclusive price, ie, all meals and drinks (including alcohol), shore excursions, internet, etc AND no mandatory tipping means that while it's not the cheapest cruise out there it probably represents the best value for money.

We are also enjoying the current exchange rate that makes any purchases in US$ very attractive indeed!

A HAL verandah suite is about $300/night. I would think that a Regent non-balcony stateroom is better value than a HAL verandah suite because both are 300sf. And, you don't really need a balcony on the Alaska run in May and September.

What do you guys think? Anyone cruise both companies?

I have 43 days on HAL and 15 on Regent. Once I discovered small ship cruising, I haven't been back on large ships. Our last large ship cruise was on Volendam many years ago.

We cruise the cheapest cabins on the luxury lines now, because of the value to us. It may not be in your best interests to do so, but it fits us.

The psr on Regent is over 70:1 compared to numbers in the 40s on HAL.

The extra space and lack of crowding is one of our considerations. When your ship holds 490 passengers, and the dining room holds 520, you truly have anytime dining. You are paying for that.

Navigator is not for everyone. There are very few lounges, and the entertainment is geared for passengers that are not inclined to spend time sitting in show lounges or bars. They have concert pianists, chamber music, very small "lounge acts", no elaborate production shows, except once or twice on Voyager or Mariner as they are 700 passenger ships.

Until they went "all inclusive", they had a hard time filling those few lounges and bars, as people spent lots of time on their balconies or in their suites, and the ships were relatively dead at night. Many people don't like that, and are vocal about it.

We love it. We feel like it's more intimate and almost but not quite a private yachting experience, with service that doesn't include presentation of a check every time you sit down.

We always have wine with dinner at home. I expect my dining experience to be at least as nice as my home experience, and Regent provides that level of service. Yes, they are $20 retail bottles being poured nightly, but they complement the food, and it's nice to have a glass of white with the appetizer, then switch if you are having the steak while DH stays with white if he is having the seafood. We aren't searching for a wine steward; it's all seamlessly done.

We loved having stacks of bottled water sitting at the gangway to grab on your way "out the door" so to speak, without being presented with a bill. It's already paid for in advance, and once you are there, you aren't thinking about what you still need to pay for.

We love the couch, two chairs, table with attachable dining top, and walk in closet, plus a bath with separate tub and shower that Navigator has.

Navigator will cavitate at certain speeds and sea conditions. She is a small ship. Many people dislike the motion and the vibration. Me, I love being at sea. You want excitement, try a US destroyer in the Atlantic and being strapped into your bunk. I've been there, done that, loved it, so small ship crusing makes me happy. Lots of passengers can't deal with the motion of small ships, but we have had friends who do get seasick with us on Navigator. They did OK using the patch.

Any questions about Regent, please ask. I only have been hanging on the HAL board because we are still considering Bermuda on HAL, but we would really prefer it with smaller ships. Veendam is larger than we would like but it's one of the few games in town.

Archived