Great article on Unrealistic Expectations

bepsf

For us, cruising has become a bargain. The price of cruising seems to have come down over the past few years (or perhaps we are finding more bargains) and the value of our currency has increased significantly over this time. We are now taking more cruises, spending more of our vacation time in the US, and buying more when we are there. We are going to take advantage of it while it lasts!

There is no value to me paying $400 more a day to subsidize "premium" benefits for other passengers, that I personally have no use for. HAL delivers our travel basics.

"Premium" ships provide extras we simply do not use or want. The best way to find out what works is to try both and then see what "priceless" benefits are worth paying considerably more for.

If you use a lot of alcohol, then Regent is a bargain. If you don't, it is no bargain to subsidize others drinking habits. And this is why it pays to do a cost analysis of what exactly are the value differences between cruise lines that essentially follow the same routes and go to the same ports.

Thanks for posting the article.

From the author's perspective:

...more and more it seems the case that cruisers are expecting every cruise, at every price point, should supply a luxury vacation.

From my perspective: I haven't seen a lot of complaints aboard the cruise ships that we sailed on.

As for the boards, well I really don't know to what extent they reflect the views of the average cruiser.

If you ask my opinion, this is an example of an article on a cruise board which is in the business of selling cruises to torpedo the credibility of posts that don't serve "the cruise industry cause". The cruisers I speak with overwhelmingly enjoy the cruise experience.

Cruise vacations are a good value. Cruisers in my view continue to understand this.

The article is neither here nor there.

Smooth sailing to you...

Or, as Oscar Wilde put it, people who know the price of everything and value of nothing.

drcpa,

You keep wearing that Rolex and feeling good about the quality AND the story.

Even more so when it is hidden by a sleeve so it is privately just yours. :cool:

Now, how can we get certain posters to happily STAY in K-Mart with their Timex and perhaps also stay on the Carnival & Costa boards ? ? ? ? :p

r.

drcpa,

You keep wearing that Rolex and feeling good about the quality AND the story.

Even more so when it is hidden by a sleeve so it is privately just yours. :cool:

And this is a key point as well. To those who don't cruise regularly in S or PS cabins, I've got a news flash for you--there is ALREADY a class system at work on HAL ships. It's just subtle and tastefully done. A private party here, a special invitation to an exclusive event there, and immediate action from the top if there are any problems or complaints.

None of this is done to make customers in lower category cabins feel left out, in fact it is purposely done with a subdued elegance that amazes me. The customer service equivalent of wearing the Rolex hidden by a sleeve.

I suspect that those who brag about cruising Crystal, for example, and find it necessary to trumpet all the supposedly superior benefits, are the same kind of people who max out their credit cards to buy ugly Louis Vuitton purses with the logo prominently splashed all over it or who struggle to afford the lease on a stripped-down 3-series BMW but then brag to anyone within earshot how amazing their "ultimate driving machine" is.

In short, some people value style over substance. HAL offers both.

Good article. One thing that isn't considered in the article though, is that on the same ship for the same cruise, there are people who have paid $59 per day for their cruise along with those who have paid $750+ per day depending upon the category cabin they have selected. Therein could be a hint of a problem.

Thanks for posting the article, Brian.

Using the extreme ( and realistic) pricing variables you provided, the folk in the $59 cabin are likely paying substantially more per square foot for their inside cabin than those in the the penthouse for their space.

I have read here and elsewhere, that $100 p/p per day is the median price paid for a cabin on a mass market cruise line, 7 day sail. That price determines the out of cabin experience sans the NL.

It's like property taxes. A child is going to get the same opportunities for education ( in the same school) regardless of how much their parents pay in property taxes.

I don't expect superb accomidations and a fawning staff for $100-150 a day as I would find spending $500 a day on the luxury cruise ships for a balcony cabin that is larger than we book on HAL. I also don't spend $500-1000 a night to stay at a luxury resort or hotel. I have had excellent experiences at places for $200-300 a night for both of us, meals extra.

This is the reason that we find cruising a good deal overall. We don't usually book a penthouse at a hotel - but something nice (usually an internet price). But we like to eat well. The last wonderful meal we had was at a french place with an exceptional tasting menu with wines. That was $300 for 2 of us. (That makes for expensive days/nights if we are doing a city-vacation.) And it doesn't even consider entertainment. Add going to a different place without packing and you have a great value!

We don't usually go on those short week or less cruises - and I think that is where you get a lot of those cheap prices. I started cruising in 1987 and can see a definate difference in service and clientele, but for my money- it is still the best bang for the buck.

I just stumbled across this thread and have enjoyed reading it. I totally agree with the point made in the article about unrealistic expectations. There was a time when a cruise vacation meant a once-in-a-lifetime-luxury-pull-out-all-the-stops type of vacation, but that's not the case any more. My 9 year old DD has been on 9 cruises and has her 10th and 11th cruises booked already for next March and June. We cruise as a family (always booking 2 cabins for the 4 of us) for many reasons, one of which is we feel it's an unbeatable value. Sometimes I chafe at the nickel and diming onboard, but then I remind myself what a bargain I'm getting. When we go on land vacations, we grumble about the comparative cost of getting two hotel rooms and the hassle and expense of finding restaurants we're all happy with. We love our land vacations, too, but they make us appreciate why we love cruising.

Good article and simply stated. HAL remains good value for the money. It is hard to get $400 plus per day more value with the higher end large ship cruising. Though boutique enrichment cruising on smaller ships with highly unique itineraries we found is worth the extra premium for our own travel preferences from time to time. But for mainline cruising that gets you there and back in comfort, quality and price it will always be HAL.

You hit the nail right on the head Swiss I have found HAL to be very good value for money. I have also found that if you treat the staff with respect and like the human beings they are and not slaves your cruising experience improves immensley.I cringe when I see fellow passengers treating the staff like S%^T and wonder what would happen back on land if they did that to someone that was trying to provide them with a service. As for those passengers that refuse to pay the crew tips would they do that on land after eating out etc I think not. It's not just what you pay for the cruise but the effort you put into enjoying it that determines how much you enjoy your experience at the end of the day.:cool:

And this is a key point as well. To those who don't cruise regularly in S or PS cabins, I've got a news flash for you--there is ALREADY a class system at work on HAL ships. It's just subtle and tastefully done. A private party here, a special invitation to an exclusive event there, and immediate action from the top if there are any problems or complaints.

None of this is done to make customers in lower category cabins feel left out, in fact it is purposely done with a subdued elegance that amazes me. The customer service equivalent of wearing the Rolex hidden by a sleeve.

I suspect that those who brag about cruising Crystal, for example, and find it necessary to trumpet all the supposedly superior benefits, are the same kind of people who max out their credit cards to buy ugly Louis Vuitton purses with the logo prominently splashed all over it or who struggle to afford the lease on a stripped-down 3-series BMW but then brag to anyone within earshot how amazing their "ultimate driving machine" is.

In short, some people value style over substance. HAL offers both.

Hate to disappoint you, I sail Crystal and I don't owe $1 on a credit card from one month to the next, the most expensive purse that I've ever had cost $150 and I drive a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry.

Exactly. Simply take a look at HAL's webpage, and you are immediately bombarded with tag lines such as "Signature of Excellence", "Delivering a Premium Cruise Experience", "five-star dining" and "sophisticated ambiance", amongst many others.

Is it surprising that many people have these often unrealistic expectations? No, not at all. And I think the cruiselines have a part to play in that. They can't have their cake and eat it too- hype up the cruising experience, and then be surprised when customers complain and aren't satisfied. As in any industry, there are bound to be unhappy customers.

Thankfully, many of us have learned how to calibrate our expectations.

Bingo!

Iceman has an opinion which does not bear out the truth for many of us.

Hey, I have a BMW! But I did pay cash for it. And I was proud that it was a year old. Felt it was a good value for me. No one can see any logo on my DH's Zegna sports jacket. He got it custom made because he wanted something to replace his decade old Dunhill.. Value does in some cases equate with high quality goods which outlast bargan ones. His Subaru has almost 300,000 miles on it.

I have never sailed a premium line, but I am glad that there is a market out there keeping these lines in business, so that they will be there when I can swing it.

I view my upcoming cruise this way:

-I will visit 28 ports in 13 countries.

-I will stay in a "nice" hotel.

-I will experience "good" meals.

-There will be no airline hassle.

- My mode of transportation will be "enjoyable."

Even with the single supplement, there is no other way as cost effective or as comfortable. HAL would have to work very hard to disappoint me.

Mary Ellen

..........HAL would have to work very hard to disappoint me.

Mary Ellen

Only way that could happen is if HAL fired all their wonderful, professional Filipino/Indonesian staff and hired a bunch of sullen teenagers with attitudes, on probationary work-furlough programs.:cool: Not gonna happen. Happy travels. Great list of reasons why HAL works for you too.

Actually that is exactly what is happening onboard except its not the usual old fashioned physical segregation - its just the $ kind....Of course, one cld say having a Neptune Lounge JUST for suite guests IS a form of physical 'class' segregation :)

Those who pay more get more and shld - it's always been thus and always will be!

I so agree with u though, this shldn't be implemented in the MDR...and not only wld it alienate cruisers, it wld be a logistical nightmare, wld cost too much & all those so important lower cruise fares wld get higher - bad for business..:)

Folks who pay more can eat in the specialty restaurants & get 'better' food &/or different ambience while those who pay less eat in the buffet, MDR etc..

Just MO but the meals & service will now always be geared to a less than 5 star standard so the cruiselines can offer those so loved lower cruise fares....which enables lots more folks to cruise who, if relying on Cunard etc, wldn't be able to afford it..

Those though, who pay higher cruise fares, do get more - bigger cabins with more amenities & perks (like the access to the Neptune L)..plus they can pay even more if they want 5 star dining but more importantly, so can those who pay lower cruise fares IF they want to!!

I love reg. cruiselines & also cruise Seabourne, Cunard, Regent & Crystal when I want a different experience!

To each his own & aren't choices great :)

Very well said.

I view my upcoming cruise this way:

-I will visit 28 ports in 13 countries.

-I will stay in a "nice" hotel.

-I will experience "good" meals.

-There will be no airline hassle.

- My mode of transportation will be "enjoyable."

Even with the single supplement, there is no other way as cost effective or as comfortable. HAL would have to work very hard to disappoint me.

Mary Ellen

I really liked this post, the only thing missing is that "You only have to unpack once to visit all those countries!!!!:)

I believe the cruises I have taken to be an excellent value--that is, excellent product per dollar spent.

That said, I think the article linked is poorly thought out and silly. Expectations of luxury are created by the cruise line marketing. When I read of the Denny food comparison I tried hard to recall Denny's advertising-- No Denny ad that I can recall has ever created the idea of a "luxury dining experience". Denny ads tell me that I can have good, simple food for a low price.

The posts that imply that evaluating experience in the terms of value is akin to "knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing" also seem a bit off the mark to me (and, frankly, show a profound misunderstanding of Wilde's point). The world is full of a vast range of products and experiences at a variety of price points. As consumers, we each evaluate our desires and means to make the "best" purchases for us.

Others may approach the same product from a very different value calculation and be willing to pay far more or far less than me. For example, I would never pay a premium for a "rolex" watch -- I consider such items to be a classic example of what economists call "excess wealth absorbers). OTOH, I am crazy about 19th century aesthetic movement silver flatware which costs me significantly more than perfectly functional stainless steel flatware....

Our first cruise was with NCL, and while cruising has changed since then, both my wife and I enjoyed it, and I often recall fond memories of it.

My point is this, it was a cheap, six day, inside cabin cruise, and we did not get off at the only stop, Seattle. There were many seasoned travelers with us, and they all said that it was the worst cruise that they had been on!

So, were does that leave us? Our sights were not set too high, we enjoyed every facet of ship board life, and we both knew when we got off that we would cruise again.

Just after we had booked our next cruise, we heard a travel agent speak on the radio, all the points that he made seemed to be fair, but his final statement was 'The Killer'. "It is very difficult to take only one cruise, after your first, most of us cruise again!" How very true.

john

Our first cruise was with NCL, and while cruising has changed since then, both my wife and I enjoyed it, and I often recall fond memories of it.

My point is this, it was a cheap, six day, inside cabin cruise, and we did not get off at the only stop, Seattle. There were many seasoned travelers with us, and they all said that it was the worst cruise that they had been on!

So, were does that leave us? Our sights were not set too high, we enjoyed every facet of ship board life, and we both knew when we got off that we would cruise again.

Just after we had booked our next cruise, we heard a travel agent speak on the radio, all the points that he made seemed to be fair, but his final statement was 'The Killer'. "It is very difficult to take only one cruise, after your first, most of us cruise again!" How very true.

john

That is true....most people that cruise seem to cruise again...so why do we spend so much time complaining about an experience we are willing to repeat over and over again. Human nature is a funny thing!!!

Archived