Great article on Unrealistic Expectations

bepsf

I have 43 days on HAL and 15 on Regent. Once I discovered small ship cruising, I haven't been back on large ships... We cruise the cheapest cabins on the luxury lines now, because of the value to us... The psr on Regent is over 70:1 compared to numbers in the 40s on HAL... The extra space and lack of crowding is one of our considerations. When your ship holds 490 passengers, and the dining room holds 520, you truly have anytime dining. You are paying for that.

Navigator is not for everyone. There are very few lounges.. We love it. We feel like it's more intimate and almost but not quite a private yachting experience, with service that doesn't include presentation of a check every time you sit down... Navigator will cavitate at certain speeds and sea conditions. She is a small ship.

Thanks very much for your considered opinion. There is much food for thought there!!!

And, you don't really need a balcony on the Alaska run in May and September.

What do you guys think? Anyone cruise both companies?

We used our SY suite balcony a lot on our June Alaska run, in that we had large windows out to the plexiglas balcony in that room that allowed us to sit in our warm cabin and look out at the passing scenery with this cozy, unobstructed view, even though actually being out on the balcony was only an occasional benefit.

I would not necessarily sell the value of balcony rooms short on early and late Alaska cruises.

I think the biggest difference between Regent and other cruise lines comes down to higher-end decor and free alcohol when you compare apples to apples. If you normally drink a hundred dollars or more of alcohol a day per person, then you make money choosing Regent. If you like high-end decor and want to pay a couple hundred dollars a day per person for nice furnishings instead of saving the money and refurnishing your own home, then again Regent is for you.

Nothing wrong with either choice - free things and nice surrounding can make a very enjoyable vacation if this is what you want to pay for these "free" things.

Does Regent let you carry your own "free" alcohol on board like HAL? There is some cost value for that HAL policy that needs to be added to the mix too.

If you normally drink a hundred dollars or more of alcohol a day per person, then you make money choosing Regent. If you like high-end decor and want to pay a couple hundred dollars a day per person for nice furnishings instead of saving the money and refurnishing your own home, then again Regent is for you.

Nothing wrong with either choice - free things and nice surrounding can make a very enjoyable vacation if this is what you want to pay for these "free" things.

Does Regent let you carry your own "free" alcohol on board like HAL? There is some cost value for that HAL policy that needs to be added to the mix too.

I must have missed the part in the HAL ads that they now include all non-alcoholic beverages, that they include tips, that they include air, and that they include shore excursions (valued up to $150 -- anything over that is discounted by $150).

So, your $100 difference is not about alcohol, although for you it seems to be since you focus only on that difference.

There is nothing in the Regent contract that prohibits carrying on alcohol or wine or anything else you want. There is a prohibition on HAL even though we ignored it and carried on beer and scotch. As for other differences, when it comes to sodas, you contact them and ask for your cabin to be stocked with your favorite and it is. If you like Diet Dr Pepper, it's there.

We also had a cocktail party for CCers on our last trip. Regent provided the mixers, we all brought our liters of our favorite libation from our suites, they also put out a spread of cheese, crackers, breads, dips, veggies and shrimp cocktail -- no additional charge for the service, and no tip for the delivery since all tipping is included in the fare.

We bring wine on board from ports, no corkage fees to open at dinner.

We drank at least 4 bottles each every day of bottled water in the Caribbean. Eight bottles times how much on HAL?

Again, the suites are all 350 sq ft or larger. To compare a balcony suite of that size on HAL, you are paying very little difference. We have had suites on HAL and suites on Regent.

Have you sailed on Regent?

I must have missed the part in the HAL ads that they now include all non-alcoholic beverages, that they include tips, that they include air, and that they include shore excursions (valued up to $150 -- anything over that is discounted by $150).

So, your $100 difference is not about alcohol, although for you it seems to be since you focus only on that difference.

There is nothing in the Regent contract that prohibits carrying on alcohol or wine or anything else you want. There is a prohibition on HAL even though we ignored it and carried on beer and scotch. As for other differences, when it comes to sodas, you contact them and ask for your cabin to be stocked with your favorite and it is. If you like Diet Dr Pepper, it's there.

We also had a cocktail party for CCers on our last trip. Regent provided the mixers, we all brought our liters of our favorite libation from our suites, they also put out a spread of cheese, crackers, breads, dips, veggies and shrimp cocktail -- no additional charge for the service, and no tip for the delivery since all tipping is included in the fare.

We bring wine on board from ports, no corkage fees to open at dinner.

We drank at least 4 bottles each every day of bottled water in the Caribbean. Eight bottles times how much on HAL?

Again, the suites are all 350 sq ft or larger. To compare a balcony suite of that size on HAL, you are paying very little difference. We have had suites on HAL and suites on Regent.

Have you sailed on Regent?

Annie,

I want to thank you for your informative posts on sailing with Regent. While we have not sailed with Regent (yet), our TA has suggested that we give it a try, simply for comparison's sake. We sail almost exclusively with HAL, but do a Princess cruise once in a while, too.

I noticed you said that Regent includes air? Is that only from selected cities to the port, or from anywhere in the US? From what ports do they sail?

Is there just one seating for dinner? What about laundry service?

We are very intrigued now - having read your postings. It always helps to hear things first-hand. Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

Annie,

I want to thank you for your informative posts on sailing with Regent. While we have not sailed with Regent (yet), our TA has suggested that we give it a try, simply for comparison's sake. We sail almost exclusively with HAL, but do a Princess cruise once in a while, too.

I noticed you said that Regent includes air? Is that only from selected cities to the port, or from anywhere in the US? From what ports do they sail?

Is there just one seating for dinner? What about laundry service?

We are very intrigued now - having read your postings. It always helps to hear things first-hand. Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

The included air is from the following cities:

Economy, round-trip flights only from the following U.S. & Canadian gateways: ATL, BOS, CLT, IAD, ORD, DFW, DEN, IAH, LAX, MIA, MSP, EWR, JFK, LGA, MCO, PHL, PHX, SAN, SFO, SEA, TPA, YUL, YVR and YYZ.

According to the web site, you would pay to get to one of the gateways and then the rest is included. Or, like our friends just did, they got a refund for air, and used mileage points to get their own air. I can't remember their difference in fare but it's a calculated amount based on distance traveled.

They only have three ships. One does Alaska and Grand Voyages (around Asia, around South America, etc. with a few Caribbean sailings). One does the World Cruise, Europe and a few Caribbean. One does Grand Voyages, Europe and Caribbean. The Caribbeans are from Lauderdale or San Juan. Alaska is mostly the Seward-Vancouver run. The European trips are from all over the place. We did a repo from San Juan to Lauderdale. 8 days, 6 ports, one sea day.

Yes, there is a laundromat on board and is included. There is also fee dry cleaning, pressing and laundry although past guests earn some perks with respect to use of cleaning services.

Dinner is served from 6-9 or 7-10 or something close to that. Come anytime you want in that time frame or have dinner in your suite served course by course. They bring a bottle of white and a bottle of red wine to your suite to compliment your dinner, if you wish. They put a fitted dining table top on your coffee table (which is raised to dining height). They cover it in linen, serve you dinner or leave it all if you request that. Our friends had dinner served on their balcony in Alaska one evening.

We had breakfast every morning in our suite. There is nothing as decadent as baby lamb chops and eggs for breakfast, but oh, were they great.

The specialty restaurants seat 80-90 guests. You are guaranteed at least one reservation in them, but can usually get more. If the ship is really full, like it is NYE or XMAS, with lots of extended families, it's a little tight getting exactly the time or night you want, but they will work with you.

Navigator holds 490. The dining room holds 520. The specialty restaurant seats about 80. So, it takes 6 nights to get all 500 through the specialty restaurant unless they have a large number wanting to be seated exactly when they open, and then can accommodate people willing to be seated between 8 and 9 PM. When almost everyone wants to dine at 7, they only have one set of reservations in that specialty venue.

They also have a casual dining option occasionally, in La Veranda. It's usually regional fare, like maybe Italian night, or Indian night. I don't know if they set up more than 80 places there but it is an option for nights you are late in port and want to eat lightly or quickly.

I haven't been on Voyager or Mariner, so can't help with those ships. Our first trip was on Diamond, which was sold. We have only been on Navigator since then.

Ok I have about 30 days on HAL and 70 on Regent Seven Seas Mariner over tha past 10 years.

Your assumption that a HAL suite is costing you as much or more than Regent is 100% correct. The Regent Mariner, has no inside cabins and all are outside balocny suites, my last one was about 450 sq had a dining table, a wet bar, walk in closet, dressing area and large balcony with 2 recliners on it. A stero and TV/DVD My wife and I ate 90% of our breakfasts and about 10% of our dinners in the cabin as it was so comfortable , spacious and had everything but a pool... Service was polished and low key... you thought the staff were friends of yours...

How professonal... well bartenders all new my name and addressed both my wife and I in a warm pral way. When we left our cabin for a pre dinner drink...that information was communicated to the lounge where we were greeted and shown to your faviorite table, in which were our favouite libations ...... not a word was said except How was your day Dan ?..... Smooth.... not stuffy:rolleyes: There are no towel animals on the bed either

In HAL you have to pay for everything over and above your room... tips, water, flowers,free laundry soft drinks, liquor, meals in their " speciality places" shore excursions, internet, I took a similiar size cabin on HAL and one on Regent... exclusive of alcohol, and Regent comes out the same price as HAL. On my last HAL trip I felt the bar staff and waiters were husteling drinks a lot of the time.... I didnt like that.

All HAL offers its suite guests is a little lounge which is pretty much to me a joke considering what one could be getting. The difference is HAL ships are in comparison, way more crowded. whereas Regent has 1/2 to 1/3 the passengers. There are no" seatings" it is come and go as you wish with whoever

Regent is clearly the better option ..you pay up front and no one is hustled.. Its just a way more calm and relaxed, personal experience.

Now the value of a balcony... So why am I sailing HAL then... well it is to chrck them out as to options for nextyear.. and DO SOME DIVING.

In Alaska I think a waste because the view is limited to a 15 to 20 degree field of view.. Where as on the main deck the panaorama is 360 and the over all feel is, to me, way better and gives you a total feel of the landscape. In alaska there is a lot of Hype to sell balconies that I felt was not all that productive.. Looking from a balcony is much akin to looking at a tv screen and a very partial in incomplete view. I say this as a professional naturalist... A balcony is short changing you potential In my opinion.... even on REGENT.. I would always go in deck to see things

The cruise lines are also to blame, in part, for some of the pricing issues. It was not that long ago that cruise lines brochures/catalogues came with a price list. That price list was essentially a marketing tool so that those who were not familiar with pricing would think that they were getting a 50 percent discount on a cruise. Similar to how jewlery and mattresses are sold today......and people actually buy into the concept because everyone wants a 'deal'. If you start schlepping your product like this, it is difficult to reset consumer expectations.

As somebody who just bought a new mattress... Hear-hear!

Go into any dept store. You will NEVER pay list on a mattress. There's always a 20% off Sale, Ends Tomorrow! Tomorrow brings the 22% off Sale!

Thanks so very much for the wealth of information. WOW! Our gateway city is listed in those you cited, so that makes the offer to try even more tempting. We will definitely look into one of their sailing for 2011/2012.

I thank you so very much for your kind and prompt reply. Best to you always & many Smooth Sailings to you as well! :)

• 4 months later...

We have done 6 cruises, our friends 30+; we love it. Yeah, there are differences and good deals, but overall it's great. We like certain lines over others. Our normal cruise buddies have done everything from a steamer to Seaborne at 12k each.

You only need to know what you can afford. We require a mini-suite balcony or better if we can afford it. This has cost us anywhere from $125 to $250 per day per person. Last time was a Superior Verandah for $125 per day - caught a fabulous sale.

However, we have travelled with other friends who only stay in the cheapest inside cabins - last time they paid $300 each for a 7 day cruise. Beyond the room amenities, they have access to all the same ship amenities - they have a great time and we spend most of the time together. Because of the ship's amenities, they considered it luxury vacation.

I have other friends who will only stay in the best suites, and only eat in the specialty dining rooms every night. They love it as much.

Cruising is cruising - everything you need to know about a line, ship, even a particular room, best travel time, kids, food, the elderly, smoking, alcohol, etc can be found on these boards.

Actually, we don't know anyone who has cruised and did not like it.

Going back to an earlier topic on price per day... I agree with the need for cruise lines to not dilute the experience. One of the reasons we are trying our first HAL cruise next Saturday is because of all the cut backs NCL introduced after our first cruise with them. I realize HAL has also done this - We now shop on price/value for cruises which is a shame. Previosuly we would have been loyal to NCL as our first cruise with them was so wonderful. However NCL cut the champagne on boarding, coffee makers in rooms lower than balconies, removed the latte machines from the buffet, had less exotic/varied menus, removed the turn down chocolates - nothing dramatic but just lots of the "little" things that contributed to a great experience.

I was very unpopular on the NCL boards a year or so back for calling all of this out - Especially the cuts on promoted/advertised items like the "Welcome Aboard Champange" after people had made their final payments etc. Even more unpopular was the idea that instead of cutting these little things NCL should have brought back the fuel surcharges. I still believe that - I'd rather pay that little bit extra than have the experience forever more diluted in a death by 1000 cuts....

As I read various reviews on some of the boards, it seems like there are unrealistic expectations and we have lost the gift of thankfulness. The entitlement mentality is in full effect - especially if one has been upgraded or in an upper deck with an inexpensive room. I think in the overall scheme of things, life is what you make it. Everyday is filled with good and bad, but your outlook is determined by your perspective. Sad to say, however, the anger and a negatively critical attitudes about life, events, opportunities, gifts, and blessings is a cancer to our spirits. I have to give myself a "check up from the neck up" every now and then to keep me from cycling down.

The closer we stay to "no tipping/no cash" during the cruise. the more enjoyable the experience is for me. To be reminded a passenger is expected to be a ongoing cash cow as soon as they step on board by offering or expecting extra charges or tips for what should be included services, is not my idea of a vacation.

I like the idea of entering a service cocoon -- and not being evaluated as just one more passenger to fleece for extras. I have few service expectations anyway, just discreet and polite professional regard when clearly identified ship services are provided. That is my contract with them and for which I paid my entry fee.

So no sure what "luxury" expectations are compared to routine basic service expectations: serve meals, make up cabins, get us on and off the ship, front desk efficiencies when requests made.

HAL is pretty good about this which is one way of describing what it means to be "low-key". The photographers leave you alone. There are no strolling musicians expecting tips at dinner. Even room service does not stand around waiting for a gratuity. There are few extra charge activities but none that are highly publicized or dunned to get their attention.

Archived