Honfleur, Saint-Malo, Pont Aven, La Rochelle, Bordeaux...

Bruin Steve

...all of the above, one day after the next, two days in Bordeaux (but docked at Le Verdon)...next August...

Any ideas, recommendations?

With a hectic itinerary (only one day at sea on a 16 night cruise), we don't necessarily want to exhaust ourselves...

Thanks...

...all of the above, one day after the next, two days in Bordeaux (but docked at Le Verdon)...next August...

With a hectic itinerary (only one day at sea on a 16 night cruise), we don't necessarily want to exhaust ourselves...

Thanks...

If I were you I would make these stops as casual as I could just by walking arouind and enjoying the ambience,and flavors of the small towns with the exception of Bordeaux.After enjoyng the area I would book a trip to some of the wineries(just one or two of the good ones) and spend some time in St.Emillion.It is very interesting and some if the best French wines come from this area.If not interested in wine then stay in Bordeaux as it can be an interesting place to see all on it's own.I know from your posts you cruise a lot,but 16 days and just 1 sea day can take it's toll on the soul.These ports should rejunveniate it:D.Just MHO.

Do you know if your ship will have a shuttle to Bordeaux? Some kind of wine tour or trip to a place like St. Emilion would be nice, not sure what's available from Le Verdon.

Honfleur is very walkable. Although you may be docked out on a slightly remote quay--our ship had a shuttle into the centre, which was only a 5 minute trip but a 15-20 minute walk. But once you're there, just a nice place to wander.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Saint-Malo in July and took the Westcapades excursion to Dinan (absolutely charming medieval town) and to Mont-Saint-Michel. I highly recommend both the itinerary and the company.

http://www.westcapades.com/pgb_day_trip.htm

As you can see from my signature, we'll be on Marina's south to north cruise next May so I'm researching some of the same ports you are.

Pont-Aven looks like a walk-around-seeing-the-town kind of place as does Concarneau. Since we'll be docked at Concarneau, my question is how do we get from Concarneau to Pont-Aven on our own without booking a ship's tour or other organized excursion. I think there's a bus and the trip takes under a half an hour. Since I'm having some trouble deciphering the French bus timetables I might have to wait until we get to the port and rely on the local port hospitality people for that information.

Thanks...

As others have said. St Emilion is a great city to visit (underground church esp.) Wonderful vinyards and a very comprehensive wine collection right in town near the tourist office.

Bordeaux has a great park if you need to get away from the hustle and is a pretty good walking town.

St Malo is a gem. One could walk around all day savouring the shops and eating too many crepes. but day trips to Dinan and St Michele are also possible.

I am somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned going to Bayeux and or the D-Day beaches from Honfleur. While in Honfleur be sure to try the Pommeau (or poireau) it is in addition to cider the local drink. If looking for the local cuisine think apples and cream and any way of combining them say with chicken or fish and you will be on to it. :D

We were in Saint-Malo in July and took the Westcapades excursion to Dinan (absolutely charming medieval town) and to Mont-Saint-Michel. I highly recommend both the itinerary and the company.

http://www.westcapades.com/pgb_day_trip.htm

As you can see from my signature, we'll be on Marina's south to north cruise next May so I'm researching some of the same ports you are.

Pont-Aven looks like a walk-around-seeing-the-town kind of place as does Concarneau. Since we'll be docked at Concarneau, my question is how do we get from Concarneau to Pont-Aven on our own without booking a ship's tour or other organized excursion. I think there's a bus and the trip takes under a half an hour. Since I'm having some trouble deciphering the French bus timetables I might have to wait until we get to the port and rely on the local port hospitality people for that information.

Hawkeye - We are also booked on this cruise. We have been researching an excursion from Honfleur to Giverny and Versaille. Would this interest you?

fla742 - We've never been to Honfleur so we're thinking about spending the day in town. Either that or trying to get to Caen to see the WWII museum. It appears that Honfleur doesn't have a train line, making it a bit of a challenge to get out of town.

We spent a day at Versailles this past July when we were in Paris post-cruise so we don't want to take this port day to return there. I have to agree with moyaroo . . . it will be quite a haul. Are you thinking of renting a car and driving to Versailles and Giverney?

fla742 - We've never been to Honfleur so we're thinking about spending the day in town. Either that or trying to get to Caen to see the WWII museum. It appears that Honfleur doesn't have a train line, making it a bit of a challenge to get out of town.

We spent a day at Versailles this past July when we were in Paris post-cruise so we don't want to take this port day to return there. I have to agree with moyaroo . . . it will be quite a haul. Are you thinking of renting a car and driving to Versailles and Giverney?

We are thinking of hiring a car and tour guide/driver. We've gotten a couple of quotes in the 1000 Euro range (for up to 6 passengers), but these are coming from Paris. We also have a 500 Euro quote for someone coming from LeHavre - with no indication of size of vehicle.. If doing Versailles is too tight we will only go to Giverny.

We are thinking of hiring a car and tour guide/driver. We've gotten a couple of quotes in the 1000 Euro range (for up to 6 passengers), but these are coming from Paris. We also have a 500 Euro quote for someone coming from LeHavre - with no indication of size of vehicle.. If doing Versailles is too tight we will only go to Giverny.

1000 euros sounds high for a car & guide. We paid 575 for a 10-hr D-Day beaches tour this summer - 6-pax van, knowledgeable guide, pick-up and drop off at our ship in Le Havre. The 500 euro quote sounds more like it.

A guide should be able to tell you if you have time to to get to Versailles. If not, you might consider a stop at Rouen which is between Honfleur and Giverny. The medieval section of Rouen is worth a couple of hours.

"See" you on the roll call!

Nancy

1000 euros sounds high for a car & guide. We paid 575 for a 10-hr D-Day beaches tour this summer - 6-pax van, knowledgeable guide, pick-up and drop off at our ship in Le Havre. The 500 euro quote sounds more like it.

A guide should be able to tell you if you have time to to get to Versailles. If not, you might consider a stop at Rouen which is between Honfleur and Giverny. The medieval section of Rouen is worth a couple of hours.

"See" you on the roll call!

Nancy

Everyone says both cities are doable but tight. I also felt 500 euros was about right. Oceania hasn't posted anything for tours yet, so am waiting to see what they have to offer. Although we normally don't do ship's tours, we have when time could be a problem. If they offer a tour and it runs late they will wait for all their tours to come back before sailing.

• 4 weeks later...

We're regular visitors to France and definitely think Versailles AND Giverny would be very difficult to do in one day and you would have very little time at either location. Giverny would be lovely in May, although doubt there would be any water lilies in the Japanese Garden but still worth a visit. Would be better to combine with trip to Rouen imo.

• 2 weeks later...
To the OP...may I ask which cruiseline you are using for this itinerary? It sounds interesting...

Oceania Marina...August 10, 2011 sailing:

Aug 10 London (Dover), United Kingdom 6:00 p.m.

Aug 11 Paris (Honfleur), France 9:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

Aug 12 Saint-Malo, France 8:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

Aug 13 Pont-Aven (Concarneau), France 11:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

Aug 14 La Rochelle, France 8:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

Aug 15 Bordeaux (Le Verdon), France 8:00 a.m.

Aug 16 Bordeaux (Le Verdon), France 9:00 p.m.

Aug 17 Bilbao, Spain 7:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

Aug 18 La Coruna, Spain 8:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

Aug 19 Oporto, Portugal 8:00 a.m. 2:00 p.m.

Aug 20 Seville (Cadiz), Spain 1:00 p.m. 10:00 p.m.

Aug 21 Casablanca, Morocco 9:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

Aug 22 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

Aug 23 Barcelona, Spain 7:00 a.m. 7:00 p.m.

Aug 24 Monte Carlo, Monaco 12:00 p.m. 11:00 p.m.

Aug 25 Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 8:00 a.m. 8:00 p.m.

Aug 26 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 6:00 a.m.

I am wondering if you can prepurchase entry tickets for Giverny if you will be short of time?

I have been there three times over the years but only managed to actually get in once. There is a limit to the amount of time OH will stand in a line! (waits of more than 2 hours are not uncommon during high season) They only let people in in blocks, or else the garden get too congested. It is not a big garden and the pathways are narrow. Anybody with the slightest interest in impressionism will love it though.

Much depends on the time of year. For example, we once drove over to Giverny in early October and had the place nearly to ourselves. The bonus was it was a gorgeous blue sky day and the reflections in the pond made it easy to understand why Monet loved to paint this subject. However, if you decide to go to Giverny in the late spring or summer tourist season it will be a zoo.

Hank

Much depends on the time of year. For example, we once drove over to Giverny in early October and had the place nearly to ourselves. The bonus was it was a gorgeous blue sky day and the reflections in the pond made it easy to understand why Monet loved to paint this subject. However, if you decide to go to Giverny in the late spring or summer tourist season it will be a zoo.

Hank

We were overun by munchkins in late June. I think it must have been take your 5 year old to Giverny day. Took us about 1/2 hour to get in which wasn't too bad, but holy cow once inside, it was hard to move.

Nancy, do you have the name of the tour group for the D-Day beaches. We will be on Marina 7/29/10 with our travel group of 12. We would like a full day of touring that day but probably need a one of the mini tour buses. Thanks, traveldoc1

We used D Day Landing Tours (www.normandytownandcountry.com) for our tour. The owner, Eric, was our guide and he was superb!

I'm not sure if he has a vehicle to accommodate 12 people though. The SUV Eric used for our tour day had a maximum capacity of 7. Do contact him and see what he can do for you.

Nancy

• 2 months later...

Archived