Laptop Schlepping

mom58

I know there is wi-fi on the ships, but can I use my laptop in my cabin (Fascination)?

There's no point in carrying it if I will need to go to the internet cafe anyway, and it would be one less thing to take.

I probably won't take it anyway, but enquiring minds want to know :D

If you are jsut using it for Internet access it is probably not worth taking. If you need it for other activities, including accessing e-mail with Outlook, or connecting to a VPN, or downloading and editing photos, it is a necessity.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I know I'll have to buy the internet package; I've done that for the past few cruises. It would just be nice not to have to go to the internet cafe. My last cruise was on NCL, but I am assuming the prices will be comparable, specials on the first day, etc.

How much is an internet pkg from the ship for laptop users? Since I can now access from my cabin, I may be interested in purchasing a small pkg!

Activation fee - a one-time $3.95 charge applies to each user on their first login only.

Time Plans – offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans are transferable between Internet Café terminals and personal laptops/ wireless devices, can be used anytime throughout the cruise until debarkation and don’t have to be used in a single session. No refund will be awarded for unused minutes. Upgrading a pre-selected pricing option is not available and plans are subject to change.

Longer Cruises (6 days and longer)

• 250 minutes for $100.00

• 100 minutes for $55.00

• Pay As You Go: $0.75/min

Shorter Cruises (5 days and shorter)

• 60 minutes for $24.00

• 30 minutes for $16.50

Carnival Dream (all itineraries)

• 480 minutes for $159 – complimentary laptop rental included

• 240 minutes for $89 – complimentary laptop rental included

• 120 minutes for $59

• 45 minutes for $29

Printing – available in the Internet Café at $0.50/page

--

I dont know if its true or not, but i read in some reviews that the computers at the cafe is locked down where you cant plug any kind of usb device. If you want to look at your pictures from your camera on a computer monitor then it might be easier to bring your own laptop

--

I dont know if its true or not, but i read in some reviews that the computers at the cafe is locked down where you cant plug any kind of usb device. If you want to look at your pictures from your camera on a computer monitor then it might be easier to bring your own laptop

Thanks so much for the pricing info!!! :)

I'm planning on bringing mine with, and doing the 100 minute plan. I will type e-mails ahead of time in Word, and then be able to just paste and send, hopefully keeping the time down. I will have to give up my Facebook habit for the week, other than maybe a quick picture upload or something every day. We'll see. I might just take a week off from the internet. Also, don't some of the islands have wifi hotspots for much cheaper? We have four port days on our cruise, so would consider bringing my laptop off the ship to a hotspot, have a margarita, send some e-mails, update Facebook, check my work e-mail (BOO!!!) and whatnot, if I could do it cheaper than on-ship.

I am planning on doing a pretty intensive review when I get back, so I would like to type it while on-board when everything is fresh in my head, too.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I know I'll have to buy the internet package; I've done that for the past few cruises. It would just be nice not to have to go to the internet cafe. My last cruise was on NCL, but I am assuming the prices will be comparable, specials on the first day, etc.

Hell, I'm so bad I schlep mine into port and pirate wireless signals.

I brought mine onboard my last 2 cruises. Carnival lets you go on Carnival.com for free. I like to post on the Currently Onboard Forum.

I also take my SD card out of my camera and video camera and put them into a folder Day one, day two,etc.

Format the SD card, plop it in the camera,etc. and reuse it.

They do have specials, one has to check the 'capers?' every day to see what they are.

I also like to buy internet time, as I email my family back home to gloat.

Melanie

On the Miracle a few weeks ago, cabin 7105 (far forward), I was able to use my iPod Touch with WiFi to check my email, browse the web, download weather reports, etc.

Come to think of it, I was able to use it everywhere I tried - the main dining room, the buffet, pool deck, various clubs and common areas on decks 2 & 3, and so on.

On the other hand, I found the WiFi to be generally slow and the wired PCs in the Library only a bit faster. I really think that there are now just too many people using the limited bandwidth capability of the satellite internet link and WiFi is the likely culprit. Back when you had to go to the Library and use one of the 8? 10? available PCs, the total number of users at any one time was limited. Now, with ship-wide WiFi, the number of people who might try to use bandwidth simultaneously is much higher. That's way too many people sharing a connection that has the effective bandwidth of a low-end DSL connection (1mb Up/256kb Down).

--

It's true. No USB on the internet cafe computers. Also, the same FAQ that has the prices includes this info (bolding is mine):

Internet Café terminals run on Windows XP and are limited to Internet communication. The terminals are not equipped with Microsoft Office (WORD, EXCEL, etc), however, most files can be accessed as “read only” for viewing purposes but cannot be edited or saved. Please note, on your personal laptop you can read, edit and save files without restrictions according to the programs installed.

On our cruise to Alaska a couple years ago, I brought my laptop so I could check in with work (and to edit my vacation photos on the fly). My mother brought her Verizon wireless card and I was able to use it when we were in port (when the ships cell towers were turned off). Definately saved me a bundle as I only had to use the ships internet on our two sea days - and then i'd sign on, pull all email into outlook, disconnect, type replies and then reconnect to send them all. Granted, the Verizon only worked out cause we were in Alaska.

Archived