Be honest, please...

Dreamz2cruise

We have four of us going on a cruise in one room. Shouldn't be a problem - except, I have one person already complaining about the pull-down bed and how it's more like a cot than a bed.

Can those of you who've slept on one of the pull down beds - how comfortable was it? Was it a pain to climb in/out of bed? Or, was it no big deal?

Any information you provide is appreciated. Hopefully, your advice will put this person's mind at ease... (fingers crossed!) :p

How old are these people?? I know Im not looking forward to my first time on a upper bunk. We had a convertible sofa once, and I made my sister sleep on it, but she cant do a ladder into a bunk ... so here I come.

I think the mattress is not as soft as the one on the regular bed, and I love a very soft mattress. At home, I use two toppers.

I slept on one a couple of years ago. I am 50 and consider myself fairly fit. It was nice and cozy and I thought very comfortable. If you are claustrophobic.....and a large person, it probably would not be that comfortable. You can't sit up on the pull down at all, and I am short. I slept like a log....but I usually do on a cruise. :p

I slept in the upper bunk for a few nights while gd shared the bed with her grandma. The issue is that tiny ladder and trying to find the rungs of the ladder in the middle of the night. Who ever sleeps in the bunk should be getting a discount or everyone needs to rotate.;) If you are a big person, around 6' 200# the bunk can be a issue.

My 25 year old step daughter and 3 friends were 4 to a cabin on Carnival Ecstasy last week. I asked about the bunks and they said they weren't bad and they raved about the bedding. They did say the cabin was crowded, but they turned it into a game...who bumps whose booty the most :).

One time, all four of us (DW, me, and 1 25 yr old boy and 1 20 yr old boy) were in one balcony cabin with pull down bed. the younges, (20 yr old) drew the short straw and racked out on the pull down. He is 6ft4in, and had no prob getting in, and only once rolled out onto the table we had pushed over. He didnt hurt himself, but his older brother laughed all day about that one. He said it was okay, but he would never do it again.

From then on, (about 5 cruises ago), whenever we go with the boys, we as parents stay in the balcony by ourselves, and book the inside cabin across the hall from us. The money isnt that much more, and the piece of mind is worth the extra 100.00 or so bucks.

If your kids are old enough, maybe the inside cabin across the hall is open.

If you have younger chlldren, then tell them this is where they are sleeping, and let them fight it out as to who gets the upper.

Either way, when all else fails, lock one in the bathroom, strap the other one to the balcony, and let the parents sleep in the bar!:D:D

You don't say the ages of the passengers. The upper bunks are fine for children but in my opinion as an adult I would not be in one. Too cramped and climbing down the ladder to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night is not for me. I personally need more space than 4 in a cabin.

Honestly if this person is already concerned perhaps you should look into getting a second cabin.

I slept in the upper once, but long ago. I had no problems at all, and I'm 6' tall, and 180 pounds. As noted above, you need to be in fairly good physical condition IMO, so that getting in and out of the upper is no problem, and it is somewhat confining, but also as noted above, I slept like very well in the upper. No problem!

"SKY"

My first post did not go through - will try again. If they or any of you are under 40 then suck it up, it really is not that bad at all. I was 50 plus and I slept in one and I lived to telll about it. If you are not couples then why not take turns or if one has to sleep there full time then they should get some sort of comp above and beyond the 3rd person rate. It is much more comfy than a roll away as far as I am concerned. Get back to us on what happens.

Our son, then 21, had the upper drop-down bunk. He is 5'10" and had no complaints but did need a blanket as the vent was right up there with him.

We had a balcony which became the "changing room" when getting ready for dinner. We considered the guys using the showers in the spa which was one floor up but we never needed this.

There was more than enough storage for all four of us and luggage all fit under the bed. For this cruise, an over-the-door shoe holder really helped.

Hey Skymaster: Take This

2Q==

And what would an old floating bell hop (Oh, Marine, excuse me) know about a soft bed on a ship. Didnt you flyboys sleep on a metal rack, too???

Me, i slept on the ground, like a real soldier does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E-6, discharged 31oct71

I am over 50, 5'7" and plump. I sleep on the top bunk all the time. The bed is very comfortable. The ladder is no big deal. We ask that the bunks be put up during the day just to give us more room. As far as being in good physical shape, I admit I am not. I have never had a problem. We book three or four to a room to cruise more often. I say try it and have fun!!

FYI, I am also claustrophobic, and actually prefer the top bunk to the bottom. You have your own separate light up there I use for reading at nite, or sometimes when I get up in the middle of the nite.

We have four of us going on a cruise in one room. Shouldn't be a problem - except, I have one person already complaining about the pull-down bed and how it's more like a cot than a bed.

This person is going on a cruise and complaining about where he/she sleeps?

What age is this person? Sounds like they need an attitude adjustment. :D

On the last couple of cruises I let my 13 year old daughter sleep on the lower bed and I slept on the upper. The first time may have taken some convincing but I actually like sleeping in the upper bed now. I like to turn the light on at night and read myself to sleep. Getting down from the bunk can be a little difficult, just finding the steps, because you can't look down and get down at the same time, but certainly not a big deal. The beds are extremely comfortable, and the linens incredible.

I cruise every year (sometimes twice per year) with my sister and a friend. We always book an inside cabin, and we've been doing this since 2002. I always sleep on the pull-down bunk. At first, we used to alternate whose turn it was to sleep on the bunk. But, the last few years (about 3 years now) I have insisted on sleeping on the upper bunk. I find it to be very comfortable. Also, I am more of a night owl than the other two: I like to take a book and my earphones and music up to my bunk latenight. The reading lamp in the bunk does not disturb my friends who are sleeping below me. I am 39 yrs old (will be 40 in less than 6 months) and I am in decent, but not great physical shape. I have no problem climbing up and down the ladder. The rungs on the ladder are spaced further apart than one would expect, so (when climbing down) I always feel for the next rung with my toes to be assured of its position. Just an aside: The mattress on the upper bunk is still a Carnival comfort mattress. This has been my experience. Hope this helps.

I am over 60 and pretty fit. I slept like a baby up there. My only concern was the ladder and hoping I didn't fall and sprain something and ruin my cruise. No different than most bunk bed ladders. If you have to get up during the night, that could be an issue. I would just turn on the light if you have to do that.

I am over 60 and pretty fit. I slept like a baby up there. My only concern was the ladder and hoping I didn't fall and sprain something and ruin my cruise. No different than most bunk bed ladders. If you have to get up during the night, that could be an issue. I would just turn on the light if you have to do that.

We bring a plug-in nightlight (the kind that illuminates with dim green light, so it does not wake up my friends who sleep on the regular beds below). You can buy these at Target. We plug it into the outlet in the dressing/vanity area. This nightlight makes enough light for me to see in the night if I must go to the bathroom. However, I mostly rely on feeling for the rung with the toes of one foot, while my other leg is on the mattress of the bunk (simultaneously, I'm holding onto the railing with one hand and the mattress and/or frame with the other). Once I find the first rung (on the way down), it's a piece of cake from there on.

I appreciate your insight to my question! Some great ideas too! We have cabin 6232 (with the huge, long balcony) and don't want to give up the cabin (it's a quad) - so 4 of us it is! My sister and her two girls (21 and 25). The 21 year old is to sleep on the top bunk (smallest of us all) and was complaining about it - so I wanted to get your feedback to share with her. Mind you - her mom is paying for their cruise so I didn't understand the complaint either!... You could give me a free floor on a cruise ship and you'd never hear ME complain!

Thanks again - appreciate the feedback!

You have your own separate light up there I use for reading at nite, or sometimes when I get up in the middle of the nite.

Oh that is great to know. I am the smallest of the four of us going on the cruise, so, I suspect that I'm getting stuck on the bunk even though it's my birthday cruise. I don't think I'll mind so much, particularly if I have my own light so I can read in peace. I WILL mind if it's cold up there though - as someone else mentioned by the air vent. In that case I will force another one of our party to sleep there instead. I don't do cold!!

My sister and her two girls (21 and 25). The 21 year old is to sleep on the top bunk (smallest of us all) and was complaining about it

Sounds like someone is a bit spoiled :eek:

Hopefully by the time you cruise she will be excited just to be there and everything will be fine... Some of the spas do have great showers with heads that come out from above as well as 2 from the sides.. they are a great choice when its time for all 4 of you to get ready at the same time.. there is also a nice dressing area if your cabin is a bit too small... Just remember your outlet adaptor since you only get one plug in the cabin..

Archived