LIVE from the Sapphire - 33 days from Seattle to Sydney

Pia1913

Thank you both for a lovely day.

Its been a delight to take a step back and look at my own city through visitors eyes. A wonderful day was had by all. It was a pleasure to catch up with friends we have cruised with before, and kept in touch with , via Cruise Critic.

David you're getting so good at this that perhaps Princess should hire you at wages being "free cruises" to provide tours for their special cruisers? :D

We all knew how much Pia was going to enjoy her day.

Barb

Good Saturday morning and we’re at sea. Fortunately we didn’t have to play with the clocks again because I am back to feeling awful. I hope we aren’t (Mike and I) starting a game of musical ills. I am considering a day of staying in bed and lots of hot tea. Maybe even some chicken soup. Tea and soup; something I only have when I’m sick. Morning temp is 59 and sort of sunny.

Just a brief mention about last night’s Maori show. Excellent. These folks are very talented.

Today’s lectures are one by our CD, “Ships - Where are they Now?” It’s a presentation on ocean liners, today’s cruise industry and possible future trends. Also, a lecture on Horatio Nelson, Victor of Trafalgar. The afternoon movie is The Losers which will also be shown again at 10 PM.

My cabin has been made up and I’m crawling into bed. Sniff sniff. See you later. I hope.

Good Saturday morning and we’re at sea. Fortunately we didn’t have to play with the clocks again because I am back to feeling awful. I hope we aren’t (Mike and I) starting a game of musical ills. I am considering a day of staying in bed and lots of hot tea. Maybe even some chicken soup. Tea and soup; something I only have when I’m sick. Morning temp is 59 and sort of sunny.

Just a brief mention about last night’s Maori show. Excellent. These folks are very talented.

Today’s lectures are one by our CD, “Ships - Where are they Now?” It’s a presentation on ocean liners, today’s cruise industry and possible future trends. Also, a lecture on Horatio Nelson, Victor of Trafalgar. The afternoon movie is The Losers which will also be shown again at 10 PM.

My cabin has been made up and I’m crawling into bed. Sniff sniff. See you later. I hope.

I have Rich's CD from his presentation.

Brings back alot of memories. ;)

Hope you guys feel better.

Oy Sheryl advises taking gloves as she wished she would have had some. For sure it's the layering look for me this trip - and we all know how THAT flatters our figures.

People laughed at me when, on our transpacifics, I packed a fleece vest, Goretex jacket, a fleece headband and gloves. But in Hobart, it was so cold that I wore everything except one glove (and kept my hood up). DH wore the other glove, and we kept our uncovered hands in our pockets. It was the coldest day I've ever experienced on a cruise except for Punta Arenas, Chile.

I have fond memories of the Maori cultural show on board. Seems I have fond memories of everything you're experiencing on this cruise. :) Hope you're feeling better soon; being sick away from home is no fun at all.

For sure it's the layering look for me this trip - and we all know how THAT flatters our figures:rolleyes: Didi[/b]

At least layers hide the depredations wrought by too many Tim-Tams!

Pia' date=' hope you feel better with a good night's rest -- or day's rest? What the heck time is it there if it's 9pm here? "If it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York? (-sorry, just can't resist an opportunity to quote from [i']Casablanca[/i]!)

At least layers hide the depredations wrought by too many Tim-Tams!

Pia, hope you feel better with a good night's rest -- or day's rest? What the heck time is it there if it's 9pm here? "If it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York? (-sorry, just can't resist an opportunity to quote from Casablanca!)

It is now 2:00 PM Saturday, so where you are it's 9:00 PM Friday. And it's still 2010. :D

I (Linnie V) will whole heartedly welcome the 60 F weather since that is typical of our summer temps here in Anchorage. We are experiencing slight snow flurries and temps in the 20's and 30's. You will however, see me in layers and light gloves should there be cool breezes at those 50/60 temps. Don't laugh if you see us sweltering Fiji, Pago Pago, Bora Bora, Papeete, Moorea, etc.;)

16sapphire.jpg

Wellington tomorrow.

Have a great day, even on a Sunday folk will be out and about.

Just checked the bridge cam and it looks like nice smooth seas,

and even a red glow in the sunset, so all the best for a great day tomorrow.

ps: time here 6pm Saturday night as I post:D

editing to add....if you want to see Sapphire tomorrow Wellington has a web cam at Aotea Quay that will be focused on where they berth

http://www.centreport.co.nz/cargo-tracking/web-cams

I (Julia) will welcome 50-60 degree temps with wide open arms. We will be in shorts and tee shirts. :p:p

Pia: Hope you have kicked the nasty bug.... did the tea/soup help?

Kiwi Kruzer: Thanks SO much for the graphics! :)

We did that exact same cruise last year and I'm reliving it though you. Loved New Zealand and would love to go back and see more. It was cool when we were there last year too. Bora Bora was my favourite of the other islands I think. Maybe it was Patrick that made it special there. :) Western Samoa and Moorea were wonderful also.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Sarah

Pia;

Please feel better soon......:):):)

Bob

People laughed at me when, on our transpacifics, I packed a fleece vest, Goretex jacket, a fleece headband and gloves. But in Hobart, it was so cold that I wore everything except one glove (and kept my hood up). DH wore the other glove, and we kept our uncovered hands in our pockets. It was the coldest day I've ever experienced on a cruise except for Punta Arenas, Chile.

I have fond memories of the Maori cultural show on board. Seems I have fond memories of everything you're experiencing on this cruise. :) Hope you're feeling better soon; being sick away from home is no fun at all.

Last year when we were in Hobart it was quite cold and a little windy. This was in January which is suppose to be summer time down under.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

Thanks atlasali. Sigh, I guess it is what it is. Looks like mid-60's when we step off the plane Tuesday, and I guess I will assume that for the rest of our stay. We'll cope................Didi

The 10 day forecast for Sydney shows the temps moving up about 1 degree per day ending around 70F when we depart for NZ.

Here in the UK we've been having an extended summer spell with plenty of sunshine and really quite warm for October but today the temp dropped quite a lot and when we depart should be around 51F so we'll probably find Sydney nice and warm to us.:p

Hadn't even considered bringing any gloves but some postings seem to say that it can be quite cold around Milford Sound and in Dunedin. More kgs to squeeze into our measly single suitcase allowance!:mad:

Hope you (Pia) are feeling better soon.

Phil

Last year when we were in Hobart it was quite cold and a little windy. This was in January which is suppose to be summer time down under.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

3229746134_b311a970a2_m.jpg

This was our sailaway from Melbourne prior to arriving at Hobart. Chilly to say the least, and this was January.....:confused:

Bob

Good Morning from Wellington, the capital of New Zealand. Skies are overcast, very windy and temperature is 54. Due to winds, there was a delay getting the pilot aboard. Later arrival does not mean later departure. We sail at 6:00 for Christchurch.

Sorry I didn’t get back to you yesterday, but I really felt like H***. I got hoarse (still am) probably a blessing for my husband. Everything ached. Today is better, but not perfect. I started coughing and Mike is sniffling again.

Last night’s entertainment was the comedian from a few days ago, Jack Wilks and a group of three operatic singers in the theater called Encore. We went to see Jack, who was much better the first time around and also managed to see the opera folks too. They are Australians and part of the Sydney Conservatory; 2 women, one man. He looks and sounds like a younger Pavarotti.

Today’s offerings are the movie Clash of the Titans in the afternoon, Encore again in Explorer’s and multi instrumentalist Miroslaw Galcynski in the theater.

We’re going to disembark at 8:30 and go to Te Papa Museum, which I’ve heard is wonderful and is only about a 15 minute walk. I understand there are interactive displays and this is a huge place. Will let you know. Bye for now.

The weather is not much better in Queensland Australia at the moment. Gale force winds with lots of trees down, the temperature is down on average and we have had more than our fair share of rain. NSW is the same and it is quite cool. You will need your jumpers and raincoats!

Archived