Riviera Goes Total Non Smoking

World20

In which case people were clearly violating this edict as Horizons often stunk of cigars.

This wouldn't surprise me as on more than one occasion I noticed smokers (cigarettes and cigars) wandered away from the outdoor smoking area to the bar and were not talked to by any staff.

Make note of the lazy staff and report them onboard to their supervisor and follow up to the home office.

Oceania attracts many people because of the smoking restrictions, and they have to enforce it on their ships, especially cigars.

• 3 months later...
We also have no smoking in public buildings and now the smokers cannot smoke within specific distance ( I think it is 15 M) of the entrance of a public building so less & less you see smokers here.

That is an excellent rule - no one should be allowed to smoke within 15 m of the entrance to the ship. (I can just picture the die-hard smokers in a little rubber dinghy bouncing along behind. :p)

That is an excellent rule - no one should be allowed to smoke within 15 m of the entrance to the ship. (I can just picture the die-hard smokers in a little rubber dinghy bouncing along behind. :p)

Slow day:confused:

I am sure you have the same rules down your neck of the woods ;)

Lyn

I don't believe it entered into the equation. Can you say 9/11 and probably over extended financially.

No "probably" about it. They definitely built too many ships too fast.

It didn't help that they were to meet with their bankers on 9/12/01 ... the timing definitely was as bad as it could have been.

But I suspect Ren would have gone under sooner or later given the financial realities. Loved the prices, though ...

Sorry to be so late but I just noticed this thread this morning!

Slow day

I am sure you have the same rules down your neck of the woods

Lyn

We do have the same rules here. It's great.

I am really enjoying this slow day. It is a bizarrely tropical 9 degrees and our 150 cm of snow is rapidly disappearing in the rain. We are starting to see green patches again on the lawns.

Best of all, the sourdough starter my DB left behind from his Christmas visit is still alive and my bread turned out perfect!

Only 67 days left 'til we are back on the Regatta and life is good.

Happy 1/1/11 Lyn and everyone else.

We do have the same rules here. It's great.

I am really enjoying this slow day. It is a bizarrely tropical 9 degrees and our 150 cm of snow is rapidly disappearing in the rain. We are starting to see green patches again on the lawns.

The thread was over 3 mths old but I guess still relevant;)

All our snow has gone YIPPEE!!

I am sure it will return:(

Happy sailing

Lyn

JimandStan,

Thank you for the pix of the smoking area. I was struck by the arts and crafts ceiling light fixtures....stunning. I always enjoy your old photos. My Dad was a photographer so I figure I probably have hypo in my blood! c

JimandStan,

Thank you for the pix of the smoking area. I was struck by the arts and crafts ceiling light fixtures....stunning. I always enjoy your old photos. My Dad was a photographer so I figure I probably have hypo in my blood! c

Cbb-

Good to hear that you like them. The photo that you enjoyed was of the Smoking Room on Cunards' Queen Elizabeth of 1940:

170014.jpgIf you enjoy playing "Six Degrees of Oceania", the nautical grand daughter of this ship, Cunards' Queen Elizabeth of 2010 was completed at the same shipyard, and even floated out of the same drydock as "our" Marina.

The two ships were "floated out" within a month of each other. Might that qualify as Irish twins?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQU7w-BPO0lI79_XUyo4MwNUvcXEjl29gLcykjUUgZNfCOYgq7nRgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuM4Y84oIGCmP6FwVNNBQXyDrhp_s3sslpb8lxV45rYPDZox1i

The Elizabeth is certainly the bigger girl, but Oceania got the pretty one! :D

Archived