Just Got Travel Agent Notice Re: Dawn's Engine

louisa

Hi! My travel agent just sent me a letter from NCL about my upcoming cruise in NOVEMBER on the Dawn. My itinerary has been changed and we have less time in port. Is this sort of thing normal? I mean, why doesn't NCL just fix the darn engine? I am VERY nervous and I am wondering if I should try to cancel my cruise. Any advice?

The letter says:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Dawn's 9-Day Southern Caribbean sailings from Miami, Florida from October 22, 2010 to April 22, 2011. Travel professionals please forward this important information to your clients who are booked on this sailing.

Norwegian Dawn has experienced technical difficulties with one of her engines. As a result, Norwegian Dawn will be traveling at a reduced speed. At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests is our number one priority. Please be assured that the engine issues reducing our speed capabilities in no way impact the safe operation of the vessel.

For guests who booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line, some tour departure times may change and will be reflected on your tour ticket that will be delivered to your stateroom. We apologize for this necessary change and appreciate your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Fixing the engine might require dry dock, which would require cancelling a cruise.

Cruise lines reserve the right to change the itinerary due to any reason - mostly this is due to weather (hurricanes) but a problem with the engine is another reason.

I don't see this as a reason to cancel your cruise. I often enjoy the seas days more than the port days as a chance to relax. NCL will offer plenty of activities on those sea days. For those days that you are in port there will be plenty of excursions available.

Enjoy!

One of her four diesels threw a rod. A dry dock has been scheduled for May next year before she starts her Boston Bermuda season. A new engine has been ordered and will be installed during that drydock. With three of her four engines still running normally, there may be some time lost, appears less than an hour, from her planned itineraries...

Million dollars spare engines are not sitting around a warehouse somewhere unused. They have to be ordered, built, and shipped.

When she had four of her diesels running normally, one usually runs the electrical power aboard the ship whereas two are used to propel the ship at an economical speed while one is used as a spare. The fourth normally gives the ship her excess power for flank speed to meet her schedules when required. Unfortunately, the fourth blew a rod...

Why are so many making such a big fuss over a half hour or an hour from the planned itinerary? If the ship were a slower ship to begin with as many are, none of you would be upset... The vast majority of you passengers would have booked this ship if the itinerary was as it is now, slightly shortened in the ports of call... Are many making mountains out of mole hills? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

No worries, the Dawn has been sailing with the same engine problem for over a month now, which included sailings with hurricane conditions. The Dawn is on her way to be dry docked in May to fix the engine difficulties.

Two years ago our cruise faced a similiar problem - Spirit, July 2008. We actually got into port a little later and made a change to go to Freeport instead of GSC. It wasn't a big deal and there was no noticable difference to the normal cruise ship passenger. Stuff happens. Just relax and know they aren't going to intentionally try to ruin your vacation or cause you harm, but they also need to protect their multi-million dollar investment in the ship. You'll have a great time, I (almost) guarantee it!

One of her four diesels threw a rod. A dry dock has been scheduled for May next year before she starts her Boston Bermuda season. A new engine has been ordered and will be installed during that drydock. With three of her four engines still running normally, there may be some time lost, appears less than an hour, from her planned itineraries...

Million dollars spare engines are not sitting around a warehouse somewhere unused. They have to be ordered, built, and shipped.

When she had four of her diesels running normally, one usually runs the electrical power aboard the ship whereas two are used to propel the ship at an economical speed while one is used as a spare. The fourth normally gives the ship her excess power for flank speed to meet her schedules when required. Unfortunately, the fourth blew a rod...

Why are so many making such a big fuss over a half hour or an hour from the planned itinerary? If the ship were a slower ship to begin with as many are, none of you would be upset... The vast majority of you passengers would have booked this ship if the itinerary was as it is now, slightly shortened in the ports of call... Are many making mountains out of mole hills? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Don,

I'm on the 5 night Oct. 31st cruise. What I am concerned about is that the working engine will become overworked in the meantime and then something may happen to IT. Is this even possible? I have no knowledge of ships, obviously, but I am wondering about it.

Don,

I'm on the 5 night Oct. 31st cruise. What I am concerned about is that the working engine will become overworked in the meantime and then something may happen to IT. Is this even possible? I have no knowledge of ships, obviously, but I am wondering about it.

They have four engines, so three are still working, not one.

Hi! My travel agent just sent me a letter from NCL about my upcoming cruise in NOVEMBER on the Dawn. My itinerary has been changed and we have less time in port. Is this sort of thing normal? I mean, why doesn't NCL just fix the darn engine? I am VERY nervous and I am wondering if I should try to cancel my cruise. Any advice?

The letter says:

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Dawn's 9-Day Southern Caribbean sailings from Miami, Florida from October 22, 2010 to April 22, 2011. Travel professionals please forward this important information to your clients who are booked on this sailing.

Norwegian Dawn has experienced technical difficulties with one of her engines. As a result, Norwegian Dawn will be traveling at a reduced speed. At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests is our number one priority. Please be assured that the engine issues reducing our speed capabilities in no way impact the safe operation of the vessel.

For guests who booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line, some tour departure times may change and will be reflected on your tour ticket that will be delivered to your stateroom. We apologize for this necessary change and appreciate your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Relax! It's not as if there are cruise ships garages on every corner.

Don,

Well, its possible another engine could break down, yes. Its also possible a bearing of an azipod could vibrate too much too, causing the ship to go even slower. Possible, but not probable, knock on wood. :D:D:D

But one could say these possible things that COULD go wrong CAN happen to any ship... ANY... As much as your car's battery may not start your car tomorrow. Possible-yes, probable-no...

At the moment there are several cruise ships with mechanical difficulties. Yes, mechanical difficulties are common everywhere. That is why these cruise ships have more than one engine. The Dawn has four...

Come on folks, surely most of you would have booked this cruise with this ship anyway with a half hour less port time at each port of call... Stop making mountains out of mole hills...

Well, its possible another engine could break down, yes. Its also possible a bearing of an azipod could vibrate too much too, causing the ship to go even slower. Possible, but not probable, knock on wood.

At the moment there are several cruise ships with mechanical difficulties. Yes, mechanical difficulties are common everywhere..

Absolutely correct, however it seems like NCL is having more than their fair share of problems. The Jewel (Azipod), the Dawn (engine), the Gem (Azipod). Whereas the last ship outside of NCL recently having problems was the Veendam (air conditioning) that I'm aware of. What others are you referring to? The O/P mentioned schedule changes for the next 6 months for the Dawn and NCL also just canceled some May Boston/Bermuda cruises for her. Sorry but running around the Atlantic with essentually only one (1) propeller just doesn't give me a "warm & fuzzy" feeling.:( (refering to the Jewel & Gem)

Fixing the engine might require dry dock, which would require cancelling a cruise.

Cruise lines reserve the right to change the itinerary due to any reason - mostly this is due to weather (hurricanes) but a problem with the engine is another reason.

I don't see this as a reason to cancel your cruise. I often enjoy the seas days more than the port days as a chance to relax. NCL will offer plenty of activities on those sea days. For those days that you are in port there will be plenty of excursions available.

Not just canceling 1 cruise but 3 in may to fix this

Dear Valued Guests:

IMPORTANT: CANCELLED SAILING INFORMATION

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Dawn's 2-Day Cruise, from Boston, Massachusetts sailing on May 04, 2011.

In order to perform required maintenance, Norwegian Dawn will be out of service in dry dock from May 4, 2011 to May 20, 2011. As a result, we are regrettably forced to cancel the above mentioned sailing. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by these cancellations and would like to thank our guests for their patience and understanding.

Norwegian Cruise Line is encouraging guests to transfer their existing reservation to any sailing in the Norwegian Cruise Line fleet from now through December 31, 2011. Guests who move to another Norwegian Cruise Line sailing will receive a $25 per stateroom on-board credit ($50 per stateroom on-board credit for guests currently booked in suites and mini-suites) to be used on any expenditure on the ship.

If we do not receive a response by 5:00 pm ET on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 your reservation on Norwegian Dawn will be automatically cancelled and your deposit will be refunded. We have set-up a dedicated support line that opens on Tuesday, September 21, 2010. Please let us know your preference by calling us at (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to assisting you with your reservation. Sincerely,

Well, its possible another engine could break down, yes. Its also possible a bearing of an azipod could vibrate too much too, causing the ship to go even slower. Possible, but not probable, knock on wood. :D:D:D

But one could say these possible things that COULD go wrong CAN happen to any ship... ANY... As much as your car's battery may not start your car tomorrow. Possible-yes, probable-no...

At the moment there are several cruise ships with mechanical difficulties. Yes, mechanical difficulties are common everywhere. That is why these cruise ships have more than one engine. The Dawn has four...

Come on folks, surely most of you would have booked this cruise with this ship anyway with a half hour less port time at each port of call... Stop making mountains out of mole hills...

Makes sense, thanks :)

We're on this itinerary too - I don't think the change is that bad. A half hour here and there.... But I'd not be so happy if I was one of the Bermuda people! They lost a whole day in Bermuda.

What does scare me is if one of the other engines fail - then what?? :eek: How many times has the Dawn lost power? I've heard of it happening to two cruises. Yikes...:(

The letter says:

Can you still cancel, are they giving you an option? Why are you nervous? This only means the ship will not be traveling at the same speed. As for why they don't fix this? It is a no win situation and they will as soon as they can. Would you rather have them cancel the entire cruise? This is something all cruise lines run into, mechanical problems require the ship be taken out of service for a period. Doing that also disappoints people. Which is better? spending a few hours less in port or having the cruise cancelled altogether?

Nita

Don, they are making a fuss because some will look for any reason to make a fuss. Why would anyone get upset about a glass of bubbly or a mint on a pillow? Some people can not tolerate the slightest inconvenience. Sorry if I seem cynical, but I do get so tired of so many complainers. If the OP is a first time cruiser than i do understand her concerns. She might think the ship is going to break down in the middle of the ocean.

Nita

Absolutely correct, however it seems like NCL is having more than their fair share of problems. The Jewel (Azipod), the Dawn (engine), the Gem (Azipod). Whereas the last ship outside of NCL recently having problems was the Veendam (air conditioning) that I'm aware of. What others are you referring to? The O/P mentioned schedule changes for the next 6 months for the Dawn and NCL also just canceled some May Boston/Bermuda cruises for her. Sorry but running around the Atlantic with essentually only one (1) propeller just doesn't give me a "warm & fuzzy" feeling.:( (refering to the Jewel & Gem)

rzdj96,

Dont worry too much about the warm and fuzzy feelings.

There is nothing wrong with the Dawn's Propellers or Azipods.

They will continue to operate as they always did.

The problem is with one of the 4 diesel engines that drive generators that produce electric power that drives electric motors in the azipods.

This results in less electric power, which means that the TWO propellers will not be able to turn as fast as they normally do.

That means that the top speed of the ship will be slower.

That means it takes longer to move between ports.

That means the ship needs to spend slightly less time in some ports, so that it can arrive at the best time in the next ports.

Princess recently had a very similar problem with one of the engines on the Caribbean Princess.

They had to wait nearly one year for the replacement engine to be built, then another several months for an opening in a drydock, before they could fix the problem.

During that period, the ship was forced to move more slowly, and port arrival / departure times were altered accordingly.

Sound familiar ?????

Holland America's Oosterdam had a broken azipod a few years ago, forcing them to sail on only one azipod, with one propeller, for many months.

Six months later, when the $20 Million replacement azipod was completed, they were lucky to find an open dry dock space to have the new azipod installed.

During that 6 month period, the ship sailed slower, port times were adjusted, and nobody died.

Celebrity Cruise Line is famous for azipod problems over the past several years. Many of their ships have had altered itineraries, shortened cruises, cancelled cruises, and emergency drydocks (meaning more cancelled cruises).

Once again, nobody died.

She can rest assured if the ship ever did break down in the middle of the ocean either a.) they fix the problem PDQ or b.) the ship will be towed... I have had no power when lightning from thunderstorms strike a power line, and have had to go without air conditioning during the very hot summers in Texas. I have seen temperatures inside my house reach over 100 degrees when power is disrupted. Without power, the fans are as worthless as the air conditioner.

Things happen for no good reason whatsoever... If things didn't break down there would be a lot of repairmen/women without a job...

At the moment i would say the Dawn is NCL's most unlucky ship. Why can't all the ships behave as nicely as the Sun? Without any doubt, the Sun has been NCL's most lucky ship... :p:p:p

Having said this about the Sun, watch and see her disappoint me.... Knock on wood...

I understand your concern. We were booked on the Explorer of the Seas in 2009 when she had her Azipod issues. We book our cruises for the itinerary, and depending on the port, losing an hour can be very disappointing. It is different for people who book for the sake of cruising or who have the ability to cruise frequently.

If you aren't in the penalty period and if there is another cruise you would like, you may feel more comfortable, BUT, on the other hand. The cruise line usually uses worse case scenario times when adjusting itineraries like these and we were able to regain some of lost time when we were on the actual cruise. We also had a great time on this cruise and were glad we stuck it out.

Have fun and relax, whatever you decide.

Can you still cancel, are they giving you an option? Why are you nervous? This only means the ship will not be traveling at the same speed. As for why they don't fix this? It is a no win situation and they will as soon as they can. Would you rather have them cancel the entire cruise? This is something all cruise lines run into, mechanical problems require the ship be taken out of service for a period. Doing that also disappoints people. Which is better? spending a few hours less in port or having the cruise cancelled altogether?

Nita

I know about human nature. Why don't so many show some character and pull up their boot straps? Overcome and adapt? Have Americans become whiners instead of winners? The way they are carrying on they must shoot their cars every time they have a flat tire...

Not just canceling 1 cruise but 3 in may to fix this

Dear Valued Guests:

IMPORTANT: CANCELLED SAILING INFORMATION

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Dawn's 2-Day Cruise, from Boston, Massachusetts sailing on May 04, 2011.

In order to perform required maintenance, Norwegian Dawn will be out of service in dry dock from May 4, 2011 to May 20, 2011. As a result, we are regrettably forced to cancel the above mentioned sailing. Norwegian Cruise Line sincerely apologizes for any inconvenience caused by these cancellations and would like to thank our guests for their patience and understanding.

Norwegian Cruise Line is encouraging guests to transfer their existing reservation to any sailing in the Norwegian Cruise Line fleet from now through December 31, 2011. Guests who move to another Norwegian Cruise Line sailing will receive a $25 per stateroom on-board credit ($50 per stateroom on-board credit for guests currently booked in suites and mini-suites) to be used on any expenditure on the ship.

If we do not receive a response by 5:00 pm ET on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 your reservation on Norwegian Dawn will be automatically cancelled and your deposit will be refunded. We have set-up a dedicated support line that opens on Tuesday, September 21, 2010. Please let us know your preference by calling us at (877) 461-1160 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to assisting you with your reservation. Sincerely,

so the first week of May will see the Dawn in drydock as well as the Jewel in the already scheduled May drydock(in addition to its December drydock):eek: Sounds like a big loss for NCL...but I guess they have to just do it.

I'd rather be on a slower moving ship, than at home or work. Wouldn't anyone????

Couldn't agree more... When Celebrity had so many problems with their azipods a few years ago no one suggested they didn't maintain their ships well... While passengers may be a bit inconvenienced, NCL will be out millions of dollars... To suggest they don't is nonsense, as everyone knows if you don't pay for maintenance you'll end up paying for an overhaul...

Archived