Is the MDR open for lunch on embarcation day?

igo2travel

Never say never . . . or no . . . because it HAS happened to us before. You just never know so we always check it out just in case before we go anywhere else. I will say that when it was open it was never advertised as such but then the desk for changing your dining times was set up outside of the MDR! The last time this happened was on the Pride to Mexico.

Well, that's not true!

I'm guessing what Mr.Pete is trying to say is that the MDR may be closed for lunch on port days, but open-seating for lunch on sea days. At least that's the way it's been on my two cruises on the Carnival Conquest.

If you're on a Conquest-class ship, the restaurant on the level *above* the Lido (Sur Mer on the Conquest itself, Deck 10, aka Panorama) is usually uncrowded because most folks don't know it exists. Ask for the Bouillabaisse, veggie fritters, and the seared tuna-on-watermelon bites - so darned good! You'll need to ask for soy and wasabi too if you like your nearly-sashimi tuna that way.

When we sailed the Dream we did Eastern and it was not open when in Port - WITH THE EXCEPTION of Nassau which they treat as a sea day because they leave port so early - 2 pm. (most people would need lunch onboard).

The Dream did have on embarkation day open their wonderful Pasta area upstairs.

NCL does main dining room for lunch on embarkation :rolleyes:

I'm guessing what Mr.Pete is trying to say is that the MDR may be closed for lunch on port days, but open-seating for lunch on sea days. At least that's the way it's been on my two cruises on the Carnival Conquest.

If you're on a Conquest-class ship, the restaurant on the level *above* the Lido (Sur Mer on the Conquest itself, Deck 10, aka Panorama) is usually uncrowded because most folks don't know it exists. Ask for the Bouillabaisse, veggie fritters, and the seared tuna-on-watermelon bites - so darned good! You'll need to ask for soy and wasabi too if you like your nearly-sashimi tuna that way.

Sailing on the Victory. Any tips for uncrowded dining there? Please and thank you.

Cool. We'll get to eat in the MDR when we sail on the NCL Spirit in May. Thanks for that info.

They're going to try to send you to the buffet. Just be politely insistent and you can have an actual adult meal with linens and everything.

We were on NCL in April and the main dining room was NOT open on embarkation for lunch

It might vary by ship, but it's definitely not something they advertise. I can say it was on all three NCL cruises I've been on.

Archived