Questions about afternoon tea

metgame24

Regarding the posts remarking the Princess version of tea is not the real thing, the cream is not clotted, the cucumber sandwiches are not made the "proper" (English) way, etc etc etc... it's just Afternoon Tea! It's not called "High Tea" it's not called "English Tea", it's just Afternoon Tea and nothing to get one's knickers in a knot over.

Enjoy your cruise.

It seems you got you knickers in a knot over this. People assume and ask about Afternoon Tea on Princess and think they will get a true afternoon tea with clotted cream and other English type tea items. The people on this board are letting them know what to exactly expect. Knowing what you are getting will result in people not getting let down when they go to Princess afternoon tea and expect things they have read about English Afternoon Tea. English Afternoon Tea IS NOT CALLED High Tea. So chill out:rolleyes:

United Kingdom

[edit] Afternoon tea

A cup of tea

Cornish cream tea in Boscastle, although prepared in the Devonshire Method.Afternoon tea is a light meal typically eaten between 3pm and 5pm. The custom of drinking tea originated in England when Catherine of Bragança married Charles II in 1661 and brought the practice of drinking tea in the afternoon with her from Portugal.[citation needed] Various places that belonged to the former British Empire also have such a meal. However, changes in social customs and working hours mean that most Britons will rarely take afternoon tea, if at all.[citation needed]

Traditionally, loose tea is brewed in a teapot and served in teacups with milk and sugar. This is accompanied by sandwiches (customarily cucumber, egg and cress, fish paste, ham, and smoked salmon), scones (with clotted cream and jam, see cream tea) and usually cakes and pastries (such as Battenberg, fruit cake or Victoria sponge). The food is often served on a tiered stand; there may be no sandwiches, but bread or scones with butter or margarine and optional jam or other spread.[1][2][3]

A formal afternoon tea is, nowadays, usually taken as a treat in a hotel, café or tea shop. In everyday life, many British take a much simpler refreshment consisting of tea and biscuits at teatime.

While living in Woburn Abbey, Anna Maria Russell, Duchess of Bedford, is credited as the first person to have transformed afternoon tea in England into a late-afternoon meal rather than a simple refreshment.[4]

Isabella Beeton describes afternoon teas of various kinds: the old-fashioned tea, the at-home tea, the family tea and the high tea and provides menus.[5]

[edit] High tea

High tea (also known as meat tea[6]) is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 6pm. It is now largely followed by a later lighter evening meal.

High tea would usually consist of cold meats, eggs or fish, cakes and sandwiches.

On farms or other working class environments, high tea would be the traditional, substantial meal eaten by the workers immediately after nightfall, and would combine afternoon tea with the main evening meal. See also The UK Tea Council Definition.

In recent years, high tea has become a term for elaborate afternoon tea, though this is American usage and mainly unrecognised in Britain. This usage is disfavoured by etiquette advisors, such as Miss Manners (see United States below).

[edit] High Tea in Asia

In most Asian countries, High Tea refers to an elaborate "late lunch" meal that occurs between lunch and dinner, usually between the hours of 2-6pm that consists of both Western and Asian dishes such as noodles, grilled meats, rice, meat curries, sushi rolls, carveries, salad and desserts.

Unlike the UK where High Tea is an early evening meal (5-6pm), in Asia High Tea usually replaces lunch, as it's taken as a "late lunch" (2-6pm) instead. High Teas are almost always served only in restaurants and hotels, and usually never in Asian homes.

What Donna said is absolutely right. However, I want to point out that I've had tea at the Empress in Victoria, BC (the expensive tea, at that), and it was nice, don't get me wrong, but, honestly, the afternoon tea on Princess ships is not that much less of an experience. It's quite enjoyable.

Now, the Elite tea on Celebrity...I would place that above the Empress, but it only happens once per cruise.

What Donna said is absolutely right. However, I want to point out that I've had tea at the Empress in Victoria, BC (the expensive tea, at that), and it was nice, don't get me wrong, but, honestly, the afternoon tea on Princess ships is not that much less of an experience. It's quite enjoyable.

Now, the Elite tea on Celebrity...I would place that above the Empress, but it only happens once per cruise.

Now we really enjoyed the Tea at the Empress. I have never cared for scones until I had theirs. It was expensive, so I probably won't do it again. But they gave me their recipe for scones and I can have them at home with my favorite jam(cherry) "I know most people say strawberry is the norm" I just love cherries. We also got some Coconut Jam from the grocery store in St. Martin and that was good on the scones too.:) I just wish we could buy clotted cream locally. :(

We use to do Afternoon Tea on Princess, and it's not that we don't like it, it's just there is too much other food to try out.:D

Now we really enjoyed the Tea at the Empress. I have never cared for scones until I had theirs. It was expensive, so I probably won't do it again. But they gave me their recipe for scones and I can have them at home with my favorite jam(cherry) "I know most people say strawberry is the norm" I just love cherries. We also got some Coconut Jam from the grocery store in St. Martin and that was good on the scones too.:) I just wish we could buy clotted cream locally. :(

We use to do Afternoon Tea on Princess, and it's not that we don't like it, it's just there is too much other food to try out.:D

The Whole Foods and Fresh Markets near us both carry clotted cream, but unfortunately after a quick glance to their websites neither one has a location within a few hundred miles of Grand Junction, CO...

The tea on the Sea Princess last week was something of a cattle call. We got herded (literally) to a table in the corner of the room with 4 other couples. There were no tables for 2 available -- they had set aside one area of the room, period, and filled it completely. The table was so close to two walls that the servers literally could not serve from two sides of the table so they were reaching far across the table and over and around people's heads with the trays. It was pretty awkward.

The scones were quite tasty, though!

I've enjoyed "afternoon tea" on Princess ships a few times, but nothing compares to the ultimate tea experience (imo) at Betty's in Yorkshire:

http://www.bettys.co.uk/menus.aspx

Bon Appetit!

Sailing on the CB tomorrow :)

Chris

Thanks Chris, it all looks great. I'm ready! Maybe someday we can partake. Have a great cruise tomorrow - - smooth sailings :)

Just thinking about the scones is making my mouth water, but then, I'm no maven when it comes to gourmet English food (or is that an oxymoron? ;) )

One of the things I like about tea is that, since I prefer traditional dining, it gives me an opportunity to spend some realxed dine time with friends other than my assigned tablemates.

I do wish they had more interesting teas, though...or did I miss the Lapsang Souchong?

Would you share the recipe with us? :D Thanks.

Had tea on the Emerald last week. It was served between 3.30-4.30. For those who do not wish to share a table they did ask if we minded sharing. If you do not want to share they will find you a table for two or just not sit others with you at a larger table if you do not want.

And no the plain scones are not anywhere near as tasty as Betty's Tea Rooms or Fortnum and Masons in

London, etc. but it the afternoon tea is very enjoyable at sea. We have no complaints.

I'm in Whole Foods in Colorado every other day. I always think of them in terms of healthy food. Clotted cream never entered my mind. But now that you've placed the idea there...:o

Same place I get my Creme Anglaise, Creme Fraiche, and Marscopone Cheese. They have a pretty good selection of unhealthy choices made with quality ingredients...

The Whole Foods and Fresh Markets near us both carry clotted cream, but unfortunately after a quick glance to their websites neither one has a location within a few hundred miles of Grand Junction, CO...

I know, one year I brought home a Chamboard Cake from whole foods(Denver) on a plane, ever so gently.

I've enjoyed "afternoon tea" on Princess ships a few times, but nothing compares to the ultimate tea experience (imo) at Betty's in Yorkshire:

http://www.bettys.co.uk/menus.aspx

Bon Appetit!

And that sound scruptious but is even farther than Denver.:eek:

Sailing on the CB tomorrow :)

Chris

Would you share the recipe with us? :D Thanks.

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup butter

2 eggs

1 cup cream

2 tbsp baking powder

1/3 cup raisins

Blend flour, sugar, butter, and baking powder together.

Mix cream and eggs together, add raisins.

Add liquid, do not overmix.

Roll and cut out, then eggwash.

Rest for 45 minutes.

Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

I substituted craisins the last time. Also the last time it seemed there was too much of a baking soda taste, not sure if I made a mistake or what, the next time, I'm going to use less baking soda.

The afternoon tea onboard Princess is absolutely the very best. The scones are delicious, along with the strawberry jam and cream.

The sandwiches are usually cucumber/tuna and salmon with dill. There are also cakes and cookies to choose from.

We've had a harpist/pianist or piped-in music. I prefer the harpist, which really makes for a delightful experience.

There's enough food to make for a late afternoon lunch.

We always ask for a table for two and we ALWAYS get it.

Have a wonderful cruise and don't miss the afternoon tea.

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup butter

2 eggs

1 cup cream

2 tbsp baking powder

1/3 cup raisins

Blend flour, sugar, butter, and baking powder together.

Mix cream and eggs together, add raisins.

Add liquid, do not overmix.

Roll and cut out, then eggwash.

Rest for 45 minutes.

Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

I substituted craisins the last time. Also the last time it seemed there was too much of a baking soda taste, not sure if I made a mistake or what, the next time, I'm going to use less baking soda.

Thanks for that Donna5.

What kind of cream is that? Double, single? I've never used cream in scones before, just a splash of milk to mix. Also, I'm wondering whether the baking powder could possibly be tsps (teaspoons) rather than tbsp (tablespoons)?

We really enjoyed afternoon tea on Princess and loved the enthusiasm of our American tablemates for the occasion. The only problem was that the scones and pastries arrived at exactly the same time as the sandwiches, and we couldn't fit them on the little tea plates. The waiters then disappeared to another section and didn't come back. We had to ask them to return with the goodies :)

... Also the last time it seemed there was too much of a baking soda taste, not sure if I made a mistake or what, the next time, I'm going to use less baking soda.

I also wonder about the tsp vs. Tbs for the baking powder. My favorite cream scone recipe uses 2 tsp per 2 Cup flour. I'll bet at your elevation the recipe would taste better with altitude adjustments, too. (Reduce baking powder 25%, Reduce sugar by 1 Tbs, Increase cream by 2 Tbs, raise oven temperature to 350)

I think that was my biggest issue with it too. It was yummy, and the scones were better than Princess's (lucky you, getting the recipe!), but I remember thinking, Holy Smoke, I just spent $38 on a snack! Because you know that I ate dinner that night on the ship also.

That's why we made sure we got there early and made reservations for Noon. So we could have it as lunch. DH had orginally signed up for the Princess tea & tour there for the morning which would have been for lunch, and when we got to our cabin on embarkation day, the tickets were for a late afternoon instead of our online booking time. So he took them down and cancelled the tour. We didn't want to have tea late and then not be able to partake in dinner on the ship. (This actually worked out since it was a really rainy day that time and we got off the shuttle and ran in the Empress and made our reservations. We were seated near a window and having tea watching the rain was calming.)

Actually when I made the comment to the waiter about how good the scones were, and that I had never had any that tasted sooo delicious he offered and at first I said "No" and told him I wouldn't need to make a big batch of them, and he persisted and said it was for a much smaller recipe. So I said OK.

Thanks for that Donna5.

We really enjoyed afternoon tea on Princess and loved the enthusiasm of our American tablemates for the occasion. The only problem was that the scones and pastries arrived at exactly the same time as the sandwiches, and we couldn't fit them on the little tea plates. The waiters then disappeared to another section and didn't come back. We had to ask them to return with the goodies :)

I never got to go to Afternoon Tea - I was never hungry enough!! But I will say that traditionally, it is USUAL for the sandwiches, scones and pastries to arrive at the same time. I've done afternoon tea in The Ritz, The Berkeley and Bloomingdales, and that's always the case. I have been in some places where they wait until the sandwiches are gone before they bring the cakes, but rarely.

I never got to go to Afternoon Tea - I was never hungry enough!! But I will say that traditionally, it is USUAL for the sandwiches, scones and pastries to arrive at the same time. I've done afternoon tea in The Ritz, The Berkeley and Bloomingdales, and that's always the case. I have been in some places where they wait until the sandwiches are gone before they bring the cakes, but rarely.

hmm... but don't they come on separate plates and cake stands, and they leave them with you? That would be fine, but as they were being served from a platter, we had to say no, or our plates would be piled up :D. My friend was asked if she would like scones and her plate was full of sandwiches. We laughed as she replied, yes please, no thank you at this moment, then the servers disappeared :p

Archived