Questions about afternoon tea

metgame24

Taking our 1st Princess cruise on the CB in 8 days and wondered about afternoon tea. Is it only served in the MDR? Is there a charge for this? What time is tea served? Taking the New England/Canada trip so we are hoping to spend an afternoon or two relaxing on the ship after some morning sights. Afternoon tea sounds so appealing to me! :p

Thanks all!

Afternoon tea is usually served in the dining room from 3:30 to 4:30. Some ships could do slightly different times. Check the Patter.

We did afternoon tea almost every day on our New England/Canada cruise. It was great to be able to come back to the ship for a hot cup of tea and those delicious warm scones.

But if you miss it, there are lots of other food options available.

I hope you make it to afternoon tea. They serve tea with finger sandwiches, pastries

and scones with butter and jam......and I can't remember if they have clotted cream for

the scones which would be better than butter, but it's a wonderful treat with or without.

Similar pastries, sandwiches and scones with whip cream and strawberry jam are also available in the Horizon Court buffet between 3:30 to 5 in the afternoon. Rather being served in the MDR, you serve yourself, so it will be faster, but no ambiance, live music and white gloved servers!

I hope you make it to afternoon tea. They serve tea with finger sandwiches, pastries

and scones with butter and jam......and I can't remember if they have clotted cream for

the scones which would be better than butter, but it's a wonderful treat with or without.

Finger sandwiches. Arghhh! Do they include the nails too? (LOL)

The one and only time we did the afternoon tea we just showed up and were seated on a large table with three other couples. We were all strangers to each other and nobody really wanted to talk. It was uncomfortable and I really wanted to get out of there. Thats the reason why I do anytime dining. Could we have requested a table for two?

You can always request a smaller table, even at afternoon tea. I do think they like to use larger tables at tea because it's easier for the servers to do their job in such a short time frame. But, smaller tables are definitely available. We have met some great people during open seating at tea and other meals in the MDR, but there's always a few clunkers, I know what you mean. ;)

Getting a table for 2 for tea is much harder than at lunch or dinner. The two times we tried they were resistant.

Also, if you are fortunate enough to have a suite, I believe you can have tea in your cabin.

Since we usually have dinner around 5:30 or 6:00, it's difficult to squeeze that extra "meal" in at 3:30. Difficult, but not impossible. :D Out of 10 cruises, I've done this tea 3 or 4 times and had a nice time.

Regarding the posts remarking the Princess version of tea is not the real thing, the cream is not clotted, the cucumber sandwiches are not made the "proper" (English) way, etc etc etc... it's just Afternoon Tea! It's not called "High Tea" it's not called "English Tea", it's just Afternoon Tea and nothing to get one's knickers in a knot over.

Enjoy your cruise.

Getting a table for 2 for tea is much harder than at lunch or dinner. The two times we tried they were resistant.

Also, if you are fortunate enough to have a suite, I believe you can have tea in your cabin.

Since we usually have dinner around 5:30 or 6:00, it's difficult to squeeze that extra "meal" in at 3:30. Difficult, but not impossible. :D Out of 10 cruises, I've done this tea 3 or 4 times and had a nice time.

They will definitely attempt to steer you towards the larger tables, but we have always been seated at a table for two when we've done afternoon tea. It just takes a little insisting sometimes...

Thanks all for the info! As first time Princess cruisers we are very excited to see what the line has to offer! It's nice to hear all the positive feedback. Does the CB have an International Cafe? Maybe if I miss Afternoon Tea, I can stop in the Cafe for a sweet treat!

Thanks all for the info! As first time Princess cruisers we are very excited to see what the line has to offer! It's nice to hear all the positive feedback. Does the CB have an International Cafe? Maybe if I miss Afternoon Tea, I can stop in the Cafe for a sweet treat!

Yes, the CB does have the International Cafe'.

Archived