Formal night dress

Minidonk

This will be our first cruise on Celebrity. My DH does not own a suit. Will he be too out of place wearing a nice sport jacket and slacks?

Thanks

You will get a lot of opinions but realistically, he will not feel out of place even though it is not within thee dress code. On my recent cruise, more men were in Sport Jackets than in tuxes...

Before I bought a tuxedo I took advantage of the on-board rental. It's waiting in your cabin and you just leave it when you disembark if I remember correctly. Yes he can wear a sport coat, but let's be honest, every man looks better in a tuxedo! They even provide the shoes and cuff links.

This will be our first cruise on Celebrity. My DH does not own a suit. Will he be too out of place wearing a nice sport jacket and slacks?

Thanks

How he will feel [rather than what others' opinions may be] will depend both on the type of cruise and how uncomfortabe he will be not to be dressed as the norm. Some cruises are more formal than others. I understand Caribbean cruises are more casual. A November or Decemeber transatlantic is much more formal. Without knowing what cruise you are going on, it is difficult to say.

Sue

How he will feel [rather than what others' opinions may be] will depend both on the type of cruise and how uncomfortabe he will be not to be dressed as the norm. Some cruises are more formal than others. I understand Caribbean cruises are more casual. A November or Decemeber transatlantic is much more formal. Without knowing what cruise you are going on, it is difficult to say.

Sue

Since we have not cruised the Carribbean in years, I have nothing to compare it to. However I will say that all of the transatlantics we have been on and European cruises have not been that formal. I always wear a sport coat and tie and dress slacks and I have never felt out of place. In fact, I would say that the majority of my fellow cruisers were not in tuxes. Mainly suits and sport coats and blazers.

Thanks

Okay my opinion, which is hopefully not controversial, but if he doesn't feel the need for a suit otherwise, he should wear the nice sport jacket and slacks. A nice suit is expensive and if you don't need it, that money could be better spent on other things...like drinks packages or port excursions, lol.

On our first cruise, hubby rented a tux. On our 2nd cruise he brought a suit. Last cruise he brought shirts and ties and dress pants -- we were also travelling with a couple who don't have that many dressy clothes. Since we were all seated at a table with a family with young children, I think everyone was relieved that we all dressed smartly, but not overly dressy. None of us noticed what others were wearing and all enjoyed our meals.

I don't go out of my way to get dressed up, although I always go to dinner in something different than I was wearing all day that is neat and presentable. I've honestly never had a problem no matter what I wore on the ship (frankly, I don't really care what others think of me).

Hi, We have cruised with Celebrity, Princess and Cunard - on all three the majority wore tux on formal evenings (even in the Caribbean). My husband was really unsure about wearing one but we found a really reasonably priced tux, etc. and he was so glad we did. Now he is thinking of buying a white jacket to make a change. It is amazing how good men look in their formal wear.:cool:

Thanks

That is similar what I will be wearing. I shall have a long sleeved shirt with tie, blue blazer, dark pants, and polished shoes. I won't feel out of place, but it may give "The Clothes Police" fits!;)

I probably should not butt in here because I have NEVER cruised celebrity. We just sailed 4nt Grandeur of the Seas (Royal). DH did not want to pack a suit because we were not checking luggage. For formal nt he wore black slacks with a black shirt and no tie. He was the BEST dressed guy at the table. One guy had on a white t-shirt with a sport coat and JEANS. The other guy wore black JEANS and a striped shirt (not tucked in).

I say let your guy wear what makes him feel comfortable. My DH likes to dress up, but if he didn't, I'd much rather have him feel comfortable than forced into an outfit he did not want to buy or wear. Now, if dressing smart casual makes HIM feel uncomfortable or out of place, then maybe he should invest in other clothes.

It also has a lot to do with your travelling/table-seat mates.

Our friends are very casual, and the family we sat with was as well. We all arrived at 6 pm. It may have been uncomfortable if everyone else at the table was dressed up and we weren't.

That being said, this is YOUR vacation. Roll with it and enjoy the experience.

I probably should not butt in here because I have NEVER cruised celebrity. We just sailed 4nt Grandeur of the Seas (Royal). DH did not want to pack a suit because we were not checking luggage. For formal nt he wore black slacks with a black shirt and no tie. He was the BEST dressed guy at the table. One guy had on a white t-shirt with a sport coat and JEANS. The other guy wore black JEANS and a striped shirt (not tucked in).

I say let your guy wear what makes him feel comfortable. My DH likes to dress up, but if he didn't, I'd much rather have him feel comfortable than forced into an outfit he did not want to buy or wear. Now, if dressing smart casual makes HIM feel uncomfortable or out of place, then maybe he should invest in other clothes.

FYI RCI is significantly more casual than Celebrity and four night cruises tend to be significantly more casual than longer cruisers. While what you described may be normal on Grandeur, there is a good chance people dressed as you described would be denied entry to the main dining room on Celebrity. However what the OP is describing would generally be passable on Celebrity and would not stand out.

That is similar what I will be wearing. I shall have a long sleeved shirt with tie, blue blazer, dark pants, and polished shoes. I won't feel out of place, but it may give "The Clothes Police" fits!;)

When you are on the ship there are no clothes Police, they are only on this board created by those who do not wish to abide by the rules...He will be fine with the dress he is wearing...

FYI RCI is significantly more casual than Celebrity and four night cruises tend to be significantly more casual than longer cruisers. While what you described may be normal on Grandeur, there is a good chance people dressed as you described would be denied entry to the main dining room on Celebrity. However what the OP is describing would generally be passable on Celebrity and would not stand out.

I agree with Gonzo, if you wish to have your husband embarrassed by being denied entry to the dining room, then so be it...It is never a good idea to tell people to wear what they want...

I agree with Gonzo, if you wish to have your husband embarrassed by being denied entry to the dining room, then so be it...It is never a good idea to tell people to wear what they want...

The funny thing is that we go back and forth on both X and RCCL and even though X posters say that X is more formal, I really have not noticed much difference in what people wear on formal nights. We would dress the same for each and of course the specialty restaurants are always smart casual on both lines.

The funny thing is that we go back and forth on both X and RCCL and even though X posters say that X is more formal, I really have not noticed much difference in what people wear on formal nights. We would dress the same for each and of course the specialty restaurants are always smart casual on both lines.

It seems like (per your signature) your RCI cruises have been all transatlantics for the past few years. I think you would notice a significant difference between RCI and X on shorter itineraries (with the vast majority on X at least coming close to meeting the dress code and many people on RCI ignoring the dress code). Also, until very recently the dress code on X's specialty restaurants were always the same as that night's dress code in the main dining room. FYI RCCL is actually the parent company to both X, RCI as well as three other lines.

It seems like (per your signature) your RCI cruises have been all transatlantics for the past few years. I think you would notice a significant difference between RCI and X on shorter itineraries (with the vast majority on X at least coming close to meeting the dress code and many people on RCI ignoring the dress code). Also, until very recently the dress code on X's specialty restaurants were always the same as that night's dress code in the main dining room. FYI RCCL is actually the parent company to both X, RCI as well as three other lines.

I am well aware that RCI is the parent company to both and also about the recent change in the specialty restaurants dress code for formal nights on X. But, you are correct about maybe on shorter cruises I would notice the difference. The Baltic cruises were all two week cruises as well as the transatlantics. No party or Carribbean atmosphere on any cruise in recent history and certainly no shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, etc. on any cruise that I can recall whether on formal or smart casual on either line.

Hi, We have cruised with Celebrity, Princess and Cunard - on all three the majority wore tux on formal evenings (even in the Caribbean).
We have sailed on Holland America, Princess, and Celebrity for the past 10 years. I've never seen a majority of the men in tuxedos. The percentage has usually been between 20 and 30 percent. Of course those 20 to 30 percent look much more handsome than the other men in suits, sports coats, or less.

Our cruise this summer to Alaska on a Princess ship was the first time in a long time we have not taken our tuxedos. Mine does not fit me anymore. I'm going to have to have it altered or buy a new one before our Christmas cruise. (And fortunately, the alternation is because I've lost weight and not the other way around.)

Thanks

He could buy one. Or he could rent a tux through the cruise line.;) Wouldn't you like to spend the evening with you husband in a tux? You could buy him a boutonnière on the ship as a thank you for dressing up - "just for you"!

I know that I just love it when my DH wears his tux and he loves it when I wear formal dresses. He is the one that always says "the cruise is coming up soon, let's go buy you a new dress next week." Face it, how ofter do you get to dress up for each other anymore? He buys me a corsage and I buy him a boutonnière, we have a glass of champagne before dinner and sometimes even a dance. We are both romantics - we may be old but we still very much in love, after all these years.

Archived