BOOK THROUGH HAL or ONLINE AGENCY

C&Sun

i don't think it makes any difference if you are booked with HAL or a TA (land or on line) as far as upgrades go. Price is a different story.

Some of the larger companies can get a block of cabins with a guarantee to sell them for HAL. As a result, they can have better prices than seen on the HAL web site. Not always, especially if there is a mariner special, but quite often. Worth looking and asking about.

As kazu mentioned, the online agencies often buy groups of cabins. You have to find out exactly what you are getting from the online TA's, because it might turn out to be a better deal. For example, on my Alaska 14 day cruise, many TA's with group space were offering an E stateroom for the same price as an H. You wouldn't know this unless you called.

The online TA's usually have some pretty good deals going especially if you use an online tool for allowing the various agencies to send YOU offers. I have saved a ton of $$$ this way.

To start off with we don't book guarantees. We cruise once a year and it's our major annual vacation so we book a specific cabin so that we know exactly what we're getting. We do use Internet agencies and have been very pleased with all of them. We get what we want from them and that's a booked cruise at a good price, well below the brochure fare. Service is really not an issue for us as we typically take care of all of our other arrangements like pre and post cruise hotels and air travel. I think once we had trouble finding a hotel in Ft Lauderdale because it was spring break and we went back to the Internet TA and had a hotel in less than 10 minutes. Just because we basically shop price that's not to say HAL or a brick and mortar TA are bad, they're not. You get what you pay for and what you need. If you need or want a full service TA then the Internet may not be your answer.

Of six HAL cruises, we've booked 5 online and one directly with HAL. The only time we had a hassle was the direct w/HAL booking. I think our problems were strictly the result of the PCC assigned (luck of the draw) to us. I know others love their PCC's and book strictly w/HAL.

We also used to realize considerable savings online but that (aside from OBC's & dinners) has currently gone by the wayside.

For what it is worth :cool:

Our travel agent has always given us some kind of "improved offer" compared to what we've seen at HAL, X or large online agencies. Just yesterday, we made a new booking with her getting not only a lower cost compared to a newly reduced price at HAL, but also getting OBC. :)

After trying it both ways.... I find HAl to be, well arrogant and offer you nothing in return:(.... I just cancelled a 15 K cruise with HAL because all theyoffered me was a lousey free dinner ant thr pinnacle.... woopie doo!

I re-booked with an online agency over the phone and got $250 in shipboard credit.....:D:D:D

No way HAL would do that...... they dont want to play ball.... its their way or the freeway, the give in to nothing. even when they dont have to pay comission.... as I said arrogant and aloof.:p

Book via a discounter... or throw your money down the toilet with HAL:mad:

I have in the past used a major travel agency's website and been happy with them. When I was ready to book during the sale a couple of weeks ago the agency's site was giving me fits, so I switched and booked with HAL at what I felt was a very good price. I like to handle all of the other details (air, hotel) myself so I don't think it will matter much unless HAL messes something up. We'll see.

I have always gotten a better deal booking with an online agency and an even better deal and a very personal connection with a friend of mine that I met on cruise critic. I have never gotten a good deal or any extra benefit booking direct with HAL. I have booked Guarantee's many times and have always received great upgrades within the same category. I have never asked for a paid upgrade so can't speak to that but know that the agent that I use would be on it without question as she is always on top of it and frankly....ROCKS!! So, find a good online agent. You will save money AND can also receive some amazing service that goes along with that great rate.:)

Wendy

After trying it both ways.... I find HAl to be, well arrogant and offer you nothing in return:(.... I just cancelled a 15 K cruise with HAL because all theyoffered me was a lousey free dinner ant thr pinnacle.... woopie doo!

I re-booked with an online agency over the phone and got $250 in shipboard credit.....:D:D:D

No way HAL would do that...... they dont want to play ball.... its their way or the freeway, the give in to nothing. even when they dont have to pay comission.... as I said arrogant and aloof.:p

Book via a discounter... or throw your money down the toilet with HAL:mad:

Yikes. Plus all you got for a 15K booking was $250.00 OBC?

Yikes. Plus all you got for a 15K booking was $250.00 OBC?

Depending on the cruise, their could be a large part of that fare that is non-commissionable to the agent, including any of that which is air.

I've encountered $15k bookings before where $2k per person was air, around another $500 per person was taxes, so the cruise fare itself was only around $10k total, and of that another $2k was non commissionable (what used to be the old port charges). So on that booking, giving $250 OBC would be akin to somewhere between 20 and 25% off the total agency revenue.

It's a lot more complicated than most consumers realise than just taking a dollar amount of a booking to figure out what type of OBC you should be getting because ultimately it will come down to how much your agency is getting.

Hi, we've never booked through HAL or any other cruiseline directly. We get the same cabin as we would booking through HAL, price reduction when it goes down, shipboard credit and usually another "goodie" thrown in (Pinnacle Grill, coupon book, etc). Most recently, booked May 5, 2011 Eurodam and got $250 SBC and free travel insurance from online agency. We just prefer to use the extra money to have fun! ;)

As kazu mentioned, the online agencies often buy groups of cabins. You have to find out exactly what you are getting from the online TA's, because it might turn out to be a better deal. For example, on my Alaska 14 day cruise, many TA's with group space were offering an E stateroom for the same price as an H. You wouldn't know this unless you called.

The online TA's usually have some pretty good deals going especially if you use an online tool for allowing the various agencies to send YOU offers. I have saved a ton of $$$ this way.

We did this on our crusie in June of 2011 and got the same class room for $930 less than going through HAL ;).

Kirk

I found a good price online but since I am new to cruising, decided to see a local agent. I was hoping for insight into HAL and their kids programs.. well, I walked out feeling deflated and less confident about HAL :confused:

Decided to just call HAL myself and see if they could help....ALICE was beyond helpful... she talked to me for about an hour regarding all my questions as well as extras I did not even think of. She helped me get excited for this trip all over again! She then asked if she could review my booking for any additional savings... well OK sure!

Anyway, she was so wonderful that I put my money down by the end of the call and I will be dreaming about my Caribbean cruise tonight!

It certainly does not hurt to call HAL if you have any concerns. I usually like to book everything on my own but I am very glad I called.

:)

...since I am new to cruising....

...I will be dreaming about my Caribbean cruise tonight!:)

Hi Sephani..... I see you are new to Cruise Critic as well. Welcome to a place where you'll find a wealth of info about cruising. I'm sure you'll love being on the Westerdam in the Caribbean! We haven't been on the Westerdam yet but her sister, the Oosterdam, is one of our very favorite ships. Sweet dreams about your cruise tonight! :)

We had a TA for our first 2 cruises. Finally when the third cruise came, I noticed I could get a better deal with HAL directly. We now book everything ourselves. I have checked out these online agencies and it seems to me the price is the same as the HAL website.

We had a TA for our first 2 cruises. Finally when the third cruise came, I noticed I could get a better deal with HAL directly. We now book everything ourselves. I have checked out these online agencies and it seems to me the price is the same as the HAL website.

You must now call or email the on line agencies for their actual price. They are not allowed to advertise anything but the HAL price on line.

Hi Sephani..... I see you are new to Cruise Critic as well. Welcome to a place where you'll find a wealth of info about cruising. I'm sure you'll love being on the Westerdam in the Caribbean! We haven't been on the Westerdam yet but her sister, the Oosterdam, is one of our very favorite ships. Sweet dreams about your cruise tonight! :)

Thanks for the welcome LynnObie! I am learning something new every time I log on! These forums & CC have been wonderful!

The Westerdam seems like a good ship for a beginner like me :D

106 more nights of dreaming before it is reality.

Just FYI, leaving on our first HAL cruise on Sat, my 3rd overall. Booked with an online site that had agencies email us offers. Took the lowest bid in the category we wanted, which ended up being the same with fees/taxes included as it would have been booking with HAL withOUT fees/taxes included.

We booked a G guarantee, which is a partially obstructed. Finally got a cabin assignment towards the end of last week for D. We were happy. Then checked last night, and we got upgraded again to a VD!

Have no idea why we specifically got upgraded, but we definitely book a guarantee with the hope it might happen. Definitely would have been happy with a G. Definitely would have been happier with any full ocean view. Am definitely thrilled with a balcony now! This does add to the "first-time HAL cruisers get upgraded" theory though.

This does add to the "first-time HAL cruisers get upgraded" theory though.

We were also upgraded on our first cruise ever which was on HAL, but not quite as good as what you got. We booked an FF guarentee. Originally were upgraded to a D, which we did not like, nor did our travel agent. She felt the cabin they assigned us was not as good as the worst cabin in an FF category. It took her a bit of work, but she got us an E which we were delighted with. She kept telling the supervisors to just give us an FF and in the end we got a great cabin.

Archived