Passport renewal question

Poohx2

Hi,

We will be taking the Disney cruise to Alaska next year, Aug. 9th -Aug. 16th. My cousin's passport expires on Aug. 16th. I have advised him to renew it before so he brings the renewed passport but someone else has told him that he will be ok. I can't seem to find any info on the official government site. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

Can't speak for Disney Cruises, but most lines will not allow anyone to board unless their passport is good for a least the coming six months.

What would happen if your cousin were delayed? His passport would have expired during the voyage, and he would not be permitted to land in a foreign country.

Renew it!!

Google is your friend! :) I found this in 20 seconds using "passport visit canada" (emphasis added):

As of June 1, 2009, everyone from every country arriving in Canada by air, land and sea has needed a passport or equivalent travel document. (Some exceptions apply to children's passport requirements). Besides an up-to-date passport, visitors may instead have an equivalent travel document, such as a NEXUS Card.

That's Canada's requirement to enter, keep in mind re-entry to the USA now requires a PP or other more stringent proof. He could also get a PP Card (less expensive) but it's only good for travel to immediate US neighbors. Also, it's not valid for air travel....so probably not a good overall value if he plans to fly to other countries in the future. I think the bottom line is he will need to renew his PP.

Google is your friend! :) I found this in 20 seconds using "passport visit canada" (emphasis added):

As of June 1, 2009, everyone from every country arriving in Canada by air, land and sea has needed a passport or equivalent travel document. (Some exceptions apply to children's passport requirements). Besides an up-to-date passport, visitors may instead have an equivalent travel document, such as a NEXUS Card.

That's Canada's requirement to enter, keep in mind re-entry to the USA now requires a PP or other more stringent proof. He could also get a PP Card (less expensive) but it's only good for travel to immediate US neighbors. Also, it's not valid for air travel....so probably not a good overall value if he plans to fly to other countries in the future. I think the bottom line is he will need to renew his PP.

Sites like 'about.com' are rarely correct. To enter Canada as a US Citizen, you require;

1. Proof of Citizenship (such as a birthcert)
  2. Government issued photo ID (such as a driver's license)
  3. Required paperwork to return home

As the US Government requires US Citizens to almost always be in possession of a valid passport to re-enter the USA, a passport is required to enter Canada (rule 3). Note in cases where the US doesn't require a passport to re-enter the USA (such as a closed loop cruise), you're still satisfying 1,2 & 3.

As the US Government may not consider a passport expiring on the last valid day as valid or not, just bite the bullet and renew now. You have lots of time.

While I would much prefer to travel with a new passport let me clear up a few misconceptions in the above posts.

A US citizen does not currently require a passport to enter Canada, a birth certificate with photo ID such as a DL will suffice. However anyone entering the US, including a US citizen, does require a passport or NEXUS card or.... Your cousin's passport does not expire until midnight on August 16th, so if he is returning directly from Vancouver on August 16th he will be OK with his current passport. Canada, US and some other countries belong to a "6" month club where the 6 month issue does not apply.

I have just been through this myself this month with a Canadian passport that expires in early October...no problem at all.

So as long as he is not staying to tour in Canada post cruise he will be just fine.

I just sent in for my passport renewal (expiring December) even though we don't have travel plans. But if we do book something for late December, it would probably be Mexico (or dare I dream, a repeat of our Hawaiian cruise). It's much easier to do a renewal than a whole new passport, it's 110 dollars for ten years of use (unless he's under 16 -- we just renewed our girl's and it took just two weeks to get it), and he'll have it just in case a major travel opportunity does come up that he'll need it.

Definitely just renew the passport and I would do it sooner rather than later. Even if a passport is not needed for the cruise it is foolish not to renew it and yes criuse lines want the passport to be good for six months at the time of the return.

Keith

Definitely just renew the passport and I would do it sooner rather than later. Even if a passport is not needed for the cruise it is foolish not to renew it and yes criuse lines want the passport to be good for six months at the time of the return.

Keith

Keith, I just went though this with Princess weeks ago on a 14 day b/b to Alaska and the 6 month provision doesn't apply between Canada and the US.

Archived