Thieves Are Thriving in Barcelona

Oh2Travel

This pick pocket expert removed a man's undershirt and the man was not aware. We saw many demonstrations that were mindblowing. He was on 60 minutes with Barbara Walters. There's a video on a thread here. Worth watching!

Fascinating - I would love to see how that is done. But Barbara Walters hasn't been a correspondent for 60 Minutes, so I'm not quite sure which program to actually search. If you recall which it is, can you clarify?

I would disagree about neck wallets! Those are easily removed.

We were told by an expert in a lecture on the Jewel that a money belt inside your underwear which you only take things out of in a private place. Take what you need for the day's expenses in a different place.

This pick pocket expert removed a man's undershirt and the man was not aware. We saw many demonstrations that were mindblowing. He was on 60 minutes with Barbara Walters. There's a video on a thread here. Worth watching!

His name is Bob Arno. He was a guest lecturer on a cruise we took a few years back. Very interesting in person, and has a lot of great advice.

I would disagree about neck wallets! Those are easily removed.

when I use this I safety pin it to the blouse it is under.

We were told by an expert in a lecture on the Jewel that a money belt inside your underwear which you only take things out of in a private place. Take what you need for the day's expenses in a different place.

I also safety pin the "under the pants" money belt. Just put a safety pin on the outside of your slacks or capris to capture the belt. If your shirt covers it, fine. If not, that's fine, too, and they can see it.:cool:

Yes...Sorry thought it was obvious..Info on Travel Vest..not sure what it is etc....

I really like vests because they are comfortable, stylish and provide more POCKETS. I have several that work great on walks and hikes, and I recently purchased this one (description from website below) that is designed for traveling. The interior pockets seem to provide adequate security for money, passport, camera, phone, etc. There is even a pocket for my Kindle! I cannot give an objective review just yet, (since I haven't actually traveled in it), but I can say that it is well made and seems pretty functional. I found the vest on Magellans dot com.

Description: (from Magellans)

More features, more function, more style! This Classic Travel Vest from SCOTTEVEST® has LOADS of pockets - 21 in all! Just fill them with your portable electronics, passport, eyeglasses, mobile phone and other essentials, and send the entire vest through x-ray screening. With its ingenious Weight Management System™, you'll be amazed at how much gear you can carry in complete comfort. No bulge pockets keep everything streamlined, and there are interior conduits for headphone wires, and strategically placed icons to indicate what goes in each pocket. Wrinkle-resistant, it's made of lightweight, breathable cotton/nylon with a water- and stain-repellent Teflon® coating. Our Classic Travel Vest is tailored to be form fitting.

I really like vests because they are comfortable, stylish and provide more POCKETS. I have several that work great on walks and hikes, and I recently purchased this one (description from website below) that is designed for traveling. The interior pockets seem to provide adequate security for money, passport, camera, phone, etc. There is even a pocket for my Kindle! I cannot give an objective review just yet, (since I haven't actually traveled in it), but I can say that it is well made and seems pretty functional. I found the vest on Magellans dot com.

Description: (from Magellans)

More features, more function, more style! This Classic Travel Vest from SCOTTEVEST® has LOADS of pockets - 21 in all! Just fill them with your portable electronics, passport, eyeglasses, mobile phone and other essentials, and send the entire vest through x-ray screening. With its ingenious Weight Management System™, you'll be amazed at how much gear you can carry in complete comfort. No bulge pockets keep everything streamlined, and there are interior conduits for headphone wires, and strategically placed icons to indicate what goes in each pocket. Wrinkle-resistant, it's made of lightweight, breathable cotton/nylon with a water- and stain-repellent Teflon® coating. Our Classic Travel Vest is tailored to be form fitting.

Interesting...Thanks so much !!!

My mom and dad each have the jacket, which is the same product with removable sleeves.

Speaking from a security standpoint, I would say they are very useful and effective if you remember to keep the zipper up to secure the inner pockets. If that is something you wouldn't be likely to do (or if you don't care for wearing the 'zipped up' look all the time), it may not be the right product for you.

I tried my mom's on and thought it was plenty warm for fall. It was chilly in Montserrat, and with the sleeves attached and the coat zipped, they were both cozy. It does hold a *ton* of stuff, that's for sure, and if your goal is convenience more than security, it will definitely take care of that, whether you zip it or not.

Yes, the ScottEvest is not cheap. I paid $65 for mine. And no, it's not good in warmer weather. Aside from the convenience when touring, I plan to wear mine on the plane so all my "stuff" will be handy (glasses, pen, Ipod, munchies, mints, chapstick, eyeshade, etc).

Yes, the ScottEvest is not cheap. I paid $65 for mine. And no, it's not good in warmer weather. Aside from the convenience when touring, I plan to wear mine on the plane so all my "stuff" will be handy (glasses, pen, Ipod, munchies, mints, chapstick, eyeshade, etc).

Hi. I just started reading this thread and I thought I would put in my 2-cents. I bought the ScottiVest a few years back and I love it. I am a small woman and generally wear size 6. Since the ScottiVest seems to come in men's sizes only (at least when I was looking) I bought a mens size Small. Once you put what you need in the pockets (and I didn't over stuff) you cannot close the jacket :( . It runs very narrow. I would have returned mine for a larger size, but just didn't have enough time to get a new one before our trip. So, when ordering , keep that in mind. Oh yes, and I agree, it is not good in warmer weather. I use my Magellan's Travel Vest for warmer climates.

I love, love, love my Scottevest. I actually have 2. One tan and one black. They make a lighterweight one as well. Have jackets with zip out sleeves that my 24 year old son loved. We all wear them when we travel on the planes and out and about. Fabulous!

I just wanted to post again and say thanks for all the great info you guys gave me before I took my 17 yr. old daughter on the Epic out of Barcelona. I truly expected my biggest concern to be pickpockets, I had no idea the airlines would lose our luggage. Like mentioned in previous posts, I witnessed tons of scams, lots of attempted distractions, and made a game out of trying to spot the pickpockets. In Florence, they attempted to rob my daughter outside Academia, but mostly the attempts we witnessed were in Barcelona. The way I handled this was to put small combination locks on all my zippers on my backpack (except the front one which just had a map in there) and even one on the front compartment of my swiss army bag worn sideways and in front. It was a bit uncomfortable but I didn't worry at all. We did wear our money belt (just one with lots of extra euros, extra atm card, and the actual passports) at each port, but I cleaned out our backpack and daybag each night before the next port. We returned on Tuesday after spending two days in Barcelona post-cruise and fell in love with the city. So much more relaxing once you're actually there and can figure out which methods work best for you. You want to be able to look at things, not at people, ya know?

ps. got my suitcase the last day of the cruise...great cruise, btw

Liz

Ok, my best friend and I are going to spend 2 pre-cruise days in Barcelona before setting sail on the Norwegian Epic to Italy in mid-October. Anytime I travel anywhere, I tend to carry a sling backpack (the 1-strp type that is worn across the body) out of convenience. Everything I have read so far both on these boards and on other sites advises against this. Can anyone shed some light on whether it's actually ok or not to do this? It would be worn the same way women are told to wear their purses, wrapped over one shoulder and under the other arm and held close to their body.

Also, both my best friend and I am pretty big guys (both bodybuilders). Is there any chance that that would be a deterrent to a would-be pickpocket? Not that I'm looking for a fight, but if a pickpocket were actually to try to make off with something of ours, we would not be averse to putting the size and muscle to good use.

Hello

I've always used the "sling backpack" approach. Handbag with long strap worn across the body. And have my hand resting or hooked on the zip. In addition, my bag tends to be quite tough leather with my purse deep inside. Heck, it's a struggle for me to find it and get it out - let alone a thief. It also has a separate zipper section for coins.

I did once purchase a money belt (probably after reading too many nightmare stories) and never used it as it was such a palava to get money out that i would have ended up losing my money that way, rather than via a thief. I don't really want to be messing and fiddling about with a money belt which would potentially make you a bigger target anyway.

Each to their own I guess and if money belts and safety pins make most feel more secure then that's great.

Archived