Thieves Are Thriving in Barcelona

Oh2Travel

Just returned from a Med cruise (WONDERFUL!) and a two night pre cruise stay in Barcelona. Yep, the pickpockets are alive and well and in fact, thriving in Barcelona. My husband had his wallet stolen out of a velcro leg pocket of his shorts. Mind you, we were not in a crowded area and he felt absolutely nothing. He had considered a money belt but unfortunately didn't get one. We had just had breakfast at a cafe near Catalunya square where he paid--that was the last time he saw his wallet. We walked about 2 blocks to a tour company to take a bus trip. Sadly he lost cash and all his credit cards which we promptly cancelled. The thieves used the cc right away for small purchases but were unsuccessful w/ a cash advance attempt. We visited a small, satellite Police station and made a report. In the hour at the Police station, there were atleast 12, yes twelve others, making reports of theft. Keep in mind that this was one police station out of heaven knows how many. Sadly, this problem spoils the beautiful city of Barcelona and all that is has to offer. My advice---don't let the crooks get you down. Go to Barcelona but be very careful. Use a money belt or a holder strapped under your clothes. Guys, if you must carry a wallet, put it in your front pocket or an inside pocket of a coat. Leave some credit cards in the hotel safe. Separate your money into different places on your person or bags. Ladies, use a long strapped purse (zippers are a must!) and wear it diagonal across your chest, zippers facing you. Better yet, strap your purse under your jacket if possible. Couples, split your credit cards---one of you have the VISA and AMEX, the other the Mastercard,etc. if you are a victim, make a police report right away. Barcelona has to be tracking this problem and working on resolution. We have been in many, large US cities and have never had such a problem.

I am sorry you had a problem in Barcelona.

I believe that the only thing one has to do in order to be safe is to be vigilant about your belongings!

As you learned, wallets are best kept under clothing with a small amount of cash and never with all your credit cards!

I just returned from my 2nd visit(senior single lady)

and had no trouble using my neck wallet under clothing or laying in my cloth shopping bag under my maps,extra sweater etc.

Barcelona is one of my favorite cities!! I hope others will heed these warnings and take care so they can enjoy it too!

It used to be that the majority of complaints about theives/pickpockets were in Rome, now it seems as if Barclona has taken over.

I hope the police get more vigilant-having just traveled to Barcelona on a cruise, we learned that this is the largest cruise ship port in the Med, and that the capacity is expected to double in coming years. So, they would do well to get better control over this situation before it gets any worse..;)

Just returned from a Med cruise (WONDERFUL!) and a two night pre cruise stay in Barcelona. Yep, the pickpockets are alive and well and in fact, thriving in Barcelona. My husband had his wallet stolen out of a velcro leg pocket of his shorts. Mind you, we were not in a crowded area and he felt absolutely nothing. He had considered a money belt but unfortunately didn't get one. We had just had breakfast at a cafe near Catalunya square where he paid--that was the last time he saw his wallet. We walked about 2 blocks to a tour company to take a bus trip. Sadly he lost cash and all his credit cards which we promptly cancelled. The thieves used the cc right away for small purchases but were unsuccessful w/ a cash advance attempt. We visited a small, satellite Police station and made a report. In the hour at the Police station, there were atleast 12, yes twelve others, making reports of theft. Keep in mind that this was one police station out of heaven knows how many. Sadly, this problem spoils the beautiful city of Barcelona and all that is has to offer. My advice---don't let the crooks get you down. Go to Barcelona but be very careful. Use a money belt or a holder strapped under your clothes. Guys, if you must carry a wallet, put it in your front pocket or an inside pocket of a coat. Leave some credit cards in the hotel safe. Separate your money into different places on your person or bags. Ladies, use a long strapped purse (zippers are a must!) and wear it diagonal across your chest, zippers facing you. Better yet, strap your purse under your jacket if possible. Couples, split your credit cards---one of you have the VISA and AMEX, the other the Mastercard,etc. if you are a victim, make a police report right away. Barcelona has to be tracking this problem and working on resolution. We have been in many, large US cities and have never had such a problem.

Thanks for the alert and thanks for the advice. There are several threads on here about pickpockets in Barcelona but yours is first hand knowledge and advice and appreciated.

I will be in Barcelona next May and we are taking all the precautions you described. Last year in Barcelona some shopkeepers were a little shocked when I had to unbutton my jeans to get my money belt out. :eek: But, I make no apologies. My valuables are under my clothes at all times my small purse holds only my camera, sunglasses and a few Euros. Another thing I do is secure the zipper closed with a safety pin. There is a hole in the zipper tab that will accommodate it.

Better safe than sorry.

The sad part about this problem is that it seems like the local authorities don't care. Heck, they even encourage it. It's like "people, get your welfare money from the tourists, don't ask the government for any!"

If the government wanted to do something, they would.

I don't know where you guys live, but in most large cities, the police give more time to crimes where physical violence against people occur than to crimes like pickpocketing where no one gets hurt.

Barcelona is not different in that respect.

You will see police out on the street and on the metro watching things but once you have something stolen there is very little they can do to get it back!

I don't know where you guys live, but in most large cities, the police give more time to crimes where physical violence against people occur than to crimes like pickpocketing where no one gets hurt.

You will see police out on the street and on the metro watching things but once you have something stolen there is very little they can do to get it back!

I am a NYC native (doesn't get larger than that) and lived my first 30 years in NY and now live in a NYC suburb. When petty street crime was rampant and NYC tourism was down, the government was able to crack down on the offenders and make the streets safer.

I still think there is no will on the part of the Spanish government to repair their image.

Well from one NYC native to the other, I don't remember a time when pickpocketing was rampant on the streets of NY. It was more like muggings where people got hurt soooo more important to deal with it.

The end result is that you won't have a prob in Barcelona at all if you use those "street smarts" you learned in the Big Apple!!

I totally disagree with your premise.

In most large cities, if there is a crime problem, the authorities do something to stop it. Based on what I am reading now, it actually seems like the authorities in Barcelona are in denial or just don't care about the safety of their guests.

In the United States, we have some pretty big cities and pick pocketing is not a problem...nor would it be tolerated.

With the proper inititative, cities like Barcelona could end the practice of pickpocketing very quickly....if they cared. :rolleyes:

This is what my g/f and I learned when we were in BCN last year. I also have been there on my own 4 other times. We are both retired cops my g/f worked in queens and midtown. When we talked with cops from BCN they said the big problem was the pickpockets roam from country to country and are usually some kind of family. When the heat is on the move. They showed us tons of pictures of the families, they were of women men and children young and old. They also fit in with whatever area they are in. In NY we did not have these talented pickpockets(they could show NYC some tricks) Here in NY we have violent muggings, not talented packs of thieves, we also have more drug and mental health problems. Anyway thats MHO and observation

It used to be that the majority of complaints about theives/pickpockets were in Rome, now it seems as if Barclona has taken over.

I hope the police get more vigilant-having just traveled to Barcelona on a cruise, we learned that this is the largest cruise ship port in the Med, and that the capacity is expected to double in coming years. So, they would do well to get better control over this situation before it gets any worse..;)

I agree with your first point. In the early 1990's my view was that the problem was far worse in Rome. While still a problem, I have noticed a good deal of improvement in Rome. The reverse seems to have taken place in Barcelona. From the 1990's until a few years ago I found the problem to be getting worse in Barcelona.

While still a problem there on our last visit this past April, I was pleased to learn first hand that the Police are now stepping up action in this area. Unfortunately, it's going to take quite a while to make progress and the high unemployment in Spain doesn't help the matter either.

Keith

I applaud you for posting on this board. For the past couple of years I have been vocal in warning people about this type of crime in Barcelona. We do love Barcelona and will continue to go back there but we feel that preparation and taking steps to be what I call street smart are important here as they are in some cities around the world with similar problems.

Many of these thieves are have a lot of experience and can remove items without the person readily knowing as you saw first hand.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husbands wallet but am glad that neither one of you were hurt.

Again, thank you for posting.

Keith

Pickpockets are everywhere. So are theives.

The starting point in protecting your stuff is to not carry anything valuable unless you really (REALLY) need it. That includes cameras, jewelry, money, laptop computers, anything.

Leave the really valuable stuff home and follow the other suggestions offered in this thread, especially carrying only those credit cards you intend to use that day, splitting your cash, etc.

Whether it's Barcelona or Malaga, it only takes one bad guy to ruin a vacation.

Believe me, I know from sad experience. But the best part is that there is some poor bloke in Madrid who's wrist is (hopefully) still damaged from the severe whack I gave him with the side of my hand when he tried to pull my billfold out of my left front pocket outside the Prado. He got nothing for his trouble, but would have still been a bit unhappy if he was successful and found only about 20 Euro, a photocopy of the info page of my passport and my (unmarked) hotel room key in it.

My Amex card was in my shirt pocket and my wife had my MasterCard in her purse.

I agree that thieves are everywhere and one should always be careful when traveling.

You should know your surroundings, keep focus on those around you by being observant. leave passports, jewelry and other valuables in a safe either at the hotel or on the ship. I call this being street smart.

With that said, there are some cities around the world (including the USA) where pickpocketing and other crimes are much more prevalent than in other cities and Barcelona is one of those cities like other cities such as Rome, Naples, Buenos Aires, and Rio just to name a few. There are many others.

One thing to be very careful about. Sometimes, I read on this very board that passengers fly in the day of the cruise (which I never recommend) and they want to drop off their items at the dock before the official check in time and then want to go touring. Many times this means two things.

First that they have in hand passports, and valuables and jewelry making you a target and also many people are jet lagged and I will tell you that there is a great chance of you not paying attention. All of this increass the odds of you being robbed.

You do need to be alert at all times and much more so in some of these cities.

Keith

Unfortunately the OP got robbed, but they didn't follow any of the advice they are giving, thats probably why they were targetted. The wallet would have been visible and it's all about not being visible with anything.

Having been there just last Friday and Saturday, I have to disagree about the police , they were everywhere and very visible. What we did see was lots of bags open with purses in sight, wallets sticking out of back pockets, caneras on tables in outdoor cafe's etc. etc.

Just be carefull and aware of your surroundings........Literally Trust No One.

Unfortunately the OP got robbed, but they didn't follow any of the advice they are giving, thats probably why they were targetted. The wallet would have been visible and it's all about not being visible with anything.

Having been there just last Friday and Saturday, I have to disagree about the police , they were everywhere and very visible. What we did see was lots of bags open with purses in sight, wallets sticking out of back pockets, caneras on tables in outdoor cafe's etc. etc.

Just be carefull and aware of your surroundings........Literally Trust No One.

We didn't see that many police in July. It's possible that we just didn't notice them. We did feel safe and I carried my wallet around my neck inside my shirt, which was tucked in. Only thing we carried was cash for the day, PayPal debit card, and maybe an additional card if we were going to shop. For the most part, we kept everything in hotel safe that we weren't using that day. I haven't heard about iPhones or Blackberrys getting ripped off. But maybe that's something I'll pay more attention to next summer.

It is possible that the city is trying now to deal more with this issue.

We saw lots of police out and about on the street on foot and on horse back. They were also at metro station steps with dogs and on the metro as well.

This was the last week of September.

Over the years we have always carried our money under our clothes when travelling, no matter into what country. Never put a bag behind or next to your chair, keep it on your lap and keep it closed.

Also we always split up the money etc.

Thieves and pickpockers are worldwide, not just Barcelona or Rome.

We have had problems with that in Istanbul and yes...in Amsterdam.

Friends recently were pickpocketed in Bangkok.

You really donot notice being robbed by them, many of them are trained and act as professionals. Often one person will try to get your attention (asking questions, showing you something etc.) and the other will rob you.

Sometimes it is indeed shocking to see how easy it is to get one's bag, purse etc., without any violence.

Donot blame any government or police, but mind you money and valuables.

Over 20 trips to Europe so far. Never take anything to Europe you cannot afford to lose. Leave the fancy watches,cameras, white gymshoes at home. When staying on land I wear snug jeans with my moneybelt worn low under my undies, reversed so zipper faces my skin. I sometimes wear a neck wallet w. long string so it tucks into front jeans under waist band with just a few Euros. If they cannot find it they cant take it. They go for the easy steal. Wear cheap black plastic watch and use disposablable cameras. Large frame sunglasses and dark clothing just like locals do. Often wear a small backpack with zippers turned towards my body with jacket or umbrella, lunch etc. Once I forgot to reverse it and both zippers were opened. They took nothing because it had no value to them .So I figured they assumed my valuables were in pack and to throw them off I have always worn pack since. We always use public transportation where alot of pp ocurrs.

This subject has been address for quite a while on this website with many, many posts. All of the information and suggestions regarding keeping your belongings safe have also been addressed. I am sorry the OP had such a terrible experience. But I am also surprised that the OP did not follow the precautions that have been on this website for months and months (do a quick search) before leaving on their trip. Barcelona is a beautiful city and by following precautions you can avoid a bad experience.

Okay, peoples. I think I have "discovered" why theft is so prevalent in Barcelona. It is not a felony, not even a misdemeanor. It is a "falta", sort of like an infraction. Like taking out your garbage at the wrong time. There's no trial for anyone caught doing it. Just a small fine.

In other words, the Barcelona authorities, if not Spain as a whole, actually give thiefs free reign. They don't care. The attitude seems to be, if you're outsmarted by thieves, you deserve it.

Word to the wise.

Archived