Kindle Question

Live4cruises

A few pages ago I discussed our forthcoming 28-day South American cruise on HAL's Veendam and wondered whether this was the moment to switch over to e-readers. Not necessarily because of books but because of the free Internet access that Kindle offers. The answer is yes and, yes, we will go with Kindle 3G.

Overall, our household is in the midst of a technical upgrading. I finally got sick and tired of the instability of my error-prone Microsoft operating system and changed over to MacBook Pro. The learning curve is steep for an old guy like me but Apple works like a dream. It is a very intelligent machine.

Then we scrapped all wired telephones and bought a bunch of wireless receivers. We were too chicken to switch over entirely to cell, which we use only in emergencies.

We also dumped DirecTV after realizing how expensive their HDTV service would be. (Dish Network, regrettably, is not an option). We can save a bundle by simply receiving our programs off-air free of charge. Our HDTVs will come on Monday but a friend just got hers and she gets 15 channels free. Our high elevation should enable us to pull a few more Washington, D.C. channels.

I'd like to have an IPad, but minutes on the ship are expensive and I have been warned about Brazil's expensive airtime charges.

Kindle's free Internet access on cruises and everywhere else makes it a compelling buy in our situation.

I prefer Romances, specifically historical romance. But I also love the classics like Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina...

I've downloaded 4 Historical Romances so far.

Joanie

mystery and suspense are my favorite. Not to much for romance. I'll read anyhting on cruising. I loved the "Art of Raining in the Rain" garth stein.

I read a lot of history and historical biography. I just downloaded the entire "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" (9 volumes!) on my Kindle for FREE. ;) I've also recently purchased a new biography on Roman emperor Hadrian by Anthony Everitt, the first of Steven Saylor's Rome novels (history AND mystery :D), and Mark Twain's "The Innocents Abroad" (for 99 cents).

I read academic murder mysteries, meaning they occur on college campuses. Since I teach at a university, it is therapeutic for me.

I also like contemporary fiction, especially British, and I usually try to read the winner and the short list titles of the Man Booker Prize each year.

I also read a lot of nonfiction--just about any subject. I like history, politics, health, psychology/sociology, women's studies, disability studies.

What can I say? I'm a nerd.

I've looked at a Kindle and found it hard to read. I think I would prefer a backlit device, so the background is white and the text is black. On the Kindle it looks like dark gray text on a light gray background.

Do any of you have that problem? It could be my cataracts.

I've found the contrast on the latest generation of the Kindle to be excellent. I mostly read on the treadmill and find it easier to read than a paperback book both because of size and because of shadows from the overhead light aren't a problem like with the books. Being able to change the font size is a real plus too.

I don't like reading on a backlit device because I find it harder on my eyes. I already stare at a monitor several hours a day, so I don't need another backlit device to state at. In addition, I have more control over a book light's brightness when reading in bed, whereas my DW always complained about the brightness of my iPhone's screen when I use to read in bed.

I didn't like the first generation and returned it; however, I'm very pleased with the newest one because of size and contrast of the screen.

Question - doesanyone have experience with the new Kindle that has 3G? I know you can access the internet with it, but how difficult is it to do. Also, can you check your email from it? That would be a great feature for cruisers.

DaveOKC

This has been an interesting and fun thread. I think the day of the eReader has definitely arrived. Has anyone on this board that has used an eReader any length of time not liked it? I don't think so.

I will comment about sharing books - Nook vs Kindle. It is my understanding that you can put up to six Kindles on one account. We have four on my account now. Whatever is ordered for one person will show up in the archives of the other three. The books are charged to one account though so we keep track of books ordered and pay the account holder monthly for our purchases. This way there are at least four of us sharing books, depending upon subject matter and individual tastes of course.

I have heard, but don't know the answer, that you can share books with the Nook but only for a specific length of time, just as the downloaded library books are only available for two weeks.

So, buy a 3G Kindle & have free e-mail access & web browsing capabilities (albeit a little cumbersome) anywhere the 3g network is available, including at sea? Can this be true? We are planning a 56 day HAL cruise & our main concern was staying in touch with home. This would solve our problem! Is there another option for free e-mail (the web browsing would just be a bonus)? If so, what would it be? If not, why doesn't everyone who travels have one of these devices? Sounds too good to be true.

Question - doesanyone have experience with the new Kindle that has 3G? I know you can access the internet with it, but how difficult is it to do. Also, can you check your email from it? That would be a great feature for cruisers.

DaveOKC

There has been quite a bit discussion of that in this very thread.

This has been an interesting and fun thread. I think the day of the eReader has definitely arrived. Has anyone on this board that has used an eReader any length of time not liked it? I don't think so.

I agree with you. I have the first generation of the Kindle which I received after a long wait in March 2008. I have 400 books that I have purchased or downloaded for free. And I am still on my first battery. I'm a retired children's librarian and I find the Kindle easier on my eyes than the paperbacks that I had been reading. Consequently, I donate my books as they become available to my local library.

I have never understood the fuss about having a backlight---unless someone wants to read in bed without another light on. As I have been able to read all night on long flights with just the one overhead light.

And the feature I like the most besides the built in dictionary is the ability to search the text for a character that you don't remember.

And the feature I like the most besides the built in dictionary is the ability to search the text for a character that you don't remember.
How do you do that?
When the cursor is moved in front of a word, the definition of that word appears at the bottom of the page.

To search in a book there are two ways. 1) Press the 'menu' button. Scroll down to 'search this book' and click. At the bottom of the page the search box will appear. Just type the word for which you are looking. 2) Just start typing. The search box will come up on its own.

Since this seems to have become an all about kindle thread...

A friend is looking at buying one for her son in Afghanistan (Govt deployment) and Amazon says it can't ship or operate over there. He has internet access so he should be able to download books through wifi. I said that even if he could he could just load it up when at home and that would keep him going for his deployment. Do people think that sounds like it would be right?

...... He has internet access so he should be able to download books through wifi. I said that even if he could he could just load it up when at home and that would keep him going for his deployment. Do people think that sounds like it would be right?

I beilieve your understanding is correct. If nothing else, I understand he can transfer from his internet connected PC by USB cable. Amazon also offers free Kindle software for reading books on a PC & each Kindle account is eligible for up to 6 devices for sharing the same book library / archive. He could have either Kindle for PC, a Kindle e-reader or both on one account along with other relatives or friends for a total of up to 6 devices that would all be connected to a single credit card for billing. I will paste a link below related to using a Kindle in Afghanistan. When you open the link, press "Control +F" to open the "find" search box & type in afghan to find every instance of the word Afghanistan. Type just the 1st few letters to bring back references where the country name might be slightly misspelled.

Click here for link. The 5th match using "find" tells how someong is using their Kindle in Afghanistan, dated Feb 2010.

While I do not have a Kindle, I have the Sony e-Reader and my sister has the Nook and we both are VERY happy with our purchases. Which every reader you get, you probably with enjoy it. I like it because it cuts down on the reading materials I have to pack.

Shortly after I purchased mine, I had to spend the night with a friend in the emergency room, then later waiting while he had surgery. It was a GODSEND! Once I finished what I was reading, I moved to the next "book."

I, too, will recommend the Sony. We just purchased the Kindle 3 (Wi-fi, no 3G) and the brand new Sony PRS 950 cc. I am thinking of sending the Kindle back. The Sony has it all over Kindle. Both devices are using the new pearl e-ink screen, but Sony is touchscreen, which means that the viewing area is approximately two inches longer than Kindle. The weight is approximately the same - 9.75 oz. The clarity on the Sony is at least as good, if not better. Secondly, Sony uses more formats, such ePubl. Kindle does not. While you can download books from other e-reader sites, if they are in PDF format, you can forget about changing the font. I downloaded a non-Kimble version of Alice in Wonderland (one that had the drawings). I had to use the PDF version, and the type is so small that it is uncomfortable reading it. The Sony 950 also allows you to view two pages at a time. My Kindle does not. The one disadvantage - price. Sony's is $100 more. So . . . I will try out my Kindle during our forthcoming trip to London. If I haven't gotten used to it by the time we return, it goes back to Amazon. Right now I am very envious of my husband's Sony. The 950 is brand new - just went out on 11/3. It is very different from its predecessor, the 900. Hope this helps anyone who is considering buying an e-reader.

My first book on the Kindle was Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Great book.

I was recently in Seattle visiting my son and (other than the grandchildren) the best time was going to the Panama Hotel and the International District! The Tea Room is just like it was in the 40s, lots of original photographs, we had several varieties of Japanese tea and some sweets. You can look down into an area of the floor through glass and see the trunks and artifacts left by those who never returned.

The hotel itself is open next door and we toured around it also. The Tea Room is now a tourist attraction by those who read and loved the book and there was a guest book we signed. The employees were just wonderful.

I am facilitating this book for my Book Club in February and took lots of great photos. If you haven't seen it there is a wonderful website about the book and the Panama Hotel, now and then.

So, buy a 3G Kindle & have free e-mail access & web browsing capabilities (albeit a little cumbersome) anywhere the 3g network is available, including at sea? Can this be true? We are planning a 56 day HAL cruise & our main concern was staying in touch with home. This would solve our problem! Is there another option for free e-mail (the web browsing would just be a bonus)? If so, what would it be? If not, why doesn't everyone who travels have one of these devices? Sounds too good to be true.

Archived