Eastern Caribbean Ports Question

AlaskaDay

My DH and I are on the 10 Day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Emerald Princess in April. Would like to know if there is any shopping, restaurants, beaches or anything to see within walking distance of the port in Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados and St. Kitts. Would like to not plan any excursions for a port or two on this cruise. Did the 10 day Southern last year and a couple of ports had nothing available within walking distance. I’d like to know which ports we need plan excursions for or what’s not to miss in any of these ports. I've been to the Caribbean Ports board and haven't been able to pick up a lot of info there. Thanks for any help or tips you can give us.

My DH and I are on the 10 Day Eastern Caribbean cruise on Emerald Princess in April. Would like to know if there is any shopping, restaurants, beaches or anything to see within walking distance of the port in Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados and St. Kitts. Would like to not plan any excursions for a port or two on this cruise. Did the 10 day Southern last year and a couple of ports had nothing available within walking distance. I’d like to know which ports we need plan excursions for or what’s not to miss in any of these ports. I've been to the Caribbean Ports board and haven't been able to pick up a lot of info there. Thanks for any help or tips you can give us.
See this site http://**************************port.php?idport=1

We did this in itinerary in January of this year and it has been our favorite cruise to date. Barbados is the only port we didn't book an excursion at -- we just wanted a "stay on the ship port day"! I do recall that St. Kitts has shopping right there at the port. At St. Lucia we enjoyed our favorite excursion, a tour with Cosol -- I highly recommend him. You really need to visit the ports of call boards for all of the islands so you can decided for yourself.

I agree with viewing the ports of call boards. A wealth of info there. Also join a roll call. Have done this cruise several times. Barbados has a small shopping area adjacent to port but don't think a restaurant. At least, never noticed. St. Lucia has a really nice shopping area and a restaurant but the island is so beautiful you really must see. Antigua has a lot of shopping since you are right in the town at the end of the pier. But again, the beaches are soooo good there. St. Kitts has a nice shopping area but again, can't remember a restaurant. Good luck.

We did this in itinerary in January of this year and it has been our favorite cruise to date. Barbados is the only port we didn't book an excursion at -- we just wanted a "stay on the ship port day"! I do recall that St. Kitts has shopping right there at the port. At St. Lucia we enjoyed our favorite excursion, a tour with Cosol -- I highly recommend him. You really need to visit the ports of call boards for all of the islands so you can decided for yourself.

I hope you visited Barbados before... It is wonderful place to visit, beaches, natural wonders etc. We rented a car and drove around the island... Simply beautiful.

We also enjoyed Cosol tour very much in St Lucia. Probably the best excursion in Caribbean so far. :)

You'll need to do some research if you want to make each island special.

• Check out the excursions offered by your cruiseline.
  • Check out the port excursions already posted on the Caribbean port forum.
  • "Google" excursions/activities for each island. For example: "St. Kitts excursions". Read the websites listed by Google.

Decide what you want to do on each island (shop on one, snorkel on another, island tour on another, beach day on another, etc.):

• What do you want to do - beach/shopping/boats/etc.
  • How much time do you want to drive around or have for each activity.
  • How much are you willing to spend per island.

Once you'd got tentative plans, then post specific questions or ask for comments about specific tours on the Caribbean port forum. That way you'll get the answers you need for the activities that you want to do.

To the OP:

There is shopping near the port in St. Kitts and in the small downtown area. Highly recommend that you do the Sugarcane Railway Tour in St. Kitts. May seem a bit pricey, but the train tour gives you a great tour of many parts of the island and you can see how many of the islanders live. There will still be time to shop near the pier before your leave the island.

Antigua has some shopping near the pier as well as a couple of restaurants as I remember. If you are lucky the black pineapples will still be in season. The fruit has a flavor that includes both pineapple and orange flavors and is like no other flavor I've ever eaten. Have never seen a black pineapple at any other port than Antiqua in our cruising adventures.

Have been to Barbados 2 times and honestly can't remember shopping there (which is extremely unsual for me:D) but do remember that we stopped in a 2-story restaurant in town and had the best fish sandwich we have ever eaten. If you like fish, don't miss out on a flying fish sandwich in Barbados.

Dianne

We are avid cruiusers and we love to shop in St. Maarten -- best prices and selection... In recent years, due to the economy St. Thomas is a bit more flexible, but still are higher priced on jewelry and liquor than St. Maarten.

As for Barbados -- they are very high on things (Nassau too - and not one of my favorite ports). You can bargain in St. Maarten and the quality tends to be very good/excellent. We have several jeweler's we have been dealing with for years -- they even said that the price of gold is too high to buy now. Liquor is also very cheap -- Note: the further away you go down Front Street from where the little boat docks the better the prices -- so shop around...

As for St. Luicia -- we had fun bargaining in the spice market and brought back wonderful spices; beaches are wonderful on the northen coast..

Look in the port section of cruise critic -- some very valuable information.

Good luck and happy cruising...

Archived