Do you TIP your Bar Tenders

Especially for mixed drinks, I tend to add an additional $0.50-$1 per person. More often than not, the little extra tip gets me in good with the bartenders. Then I try to stay with the same bartender the rest of the cruise and end up getting extra happy service and extra alcohol in my drink. It's a win-win. :)

Not sure that I have not been on a cruise ship that at least one waiter has not remembered my name , and my wifes name and are sail and sign number after 1 or 2 times , not sure RCI has cornered the market on that. ;)

Now that I filled in DH and we're sitting and enjoying the thread....

Another question, how do you handle tipping the bar maid in the main dining room? (yes, last cruise the bar person was a bar maid! :D)

I seem to remember the last few cruises the waiter has handled bar service. However, I could be mistaken.

Very interesting thread. As we don't drink huge amounts, our tipping generally is the standard service charge and then usually some extra for our cabin attendants. I would certainly consider adjusting charges if I ever had a bad experience with cabin staff, but I have never had anything but exceptional service which merits something extra from us above and beyond the standard daily charge at the end of the trip, for the great service.

DH and I have an ever lasting conversation regarding tipping your bar tenders.

Last cruise DH left an awful lot of our $$$$ with the bar tenders. when I realized, I was not a happy camper.

Over the weekend DH asked what I have read on CC about how others TIP the Bar Tenders. Throughout the years on CC I have read many different viewpoints: some have stated they find one bar tender day one and tip him generously (is this cash inhand or added on to the receipt)

some have stated, Hey, there is already 15% added, why would I tip more?

Fellow cruise-mates, please tell me, "What do you do"????

Your husband is a Sport. Common behavior for a Jersey guy. I sure he does it because he realizes he can afford it and there is usually a payoff in superior service.

Not sure that I have not been on a cruise ship that at least one waiter has not remembered my name , and my wifes name and are sail and sign number after 1 or 2 times , not sure RCI has cornered the market on that. ;)

They were pretty good remembering our names on our one CCL cruise too, but nothing like Royal. The crew on Royal also remember our names (4 of us) and our likes and dislikes within a day! I dont know how they do it! This goes for cabin stewards too (usually, but not always. we have had one or two not so good ones recently) :cool:.

Dear friends:

Here in Spain we just don't tip, period. And in many other European countries, the situation is very similar.

When we go on cruises, we have our gratuities pre-paid, and have never tipped above that or tipped extra on the bar bills and other cruise purchases. We never even think about the concept of tipping during the entire cruise, since our gratuities are pre-paid and we just sign the checks for the bar bills as they are. However, many of our American friends across the pond seem to be obsessed with this issue. We have sat at the dinner table countless times on cruises with table companions who among each other have spent the entire dinner talking about how much they tip each person when they go on cruises. For us, and most Europeans, it's just not an issue. The tips are pre-paid in our fare and we forget about it and don't bring it up the entire week.

We have never received substandard service or service any different from anybody else, and this goes for when we have booked the Royal Suite, to when we have booked standard balcony cabins.

Many of you Americans seem to think that by overtipping, tipping at the beginning, tipping extra, and in general throwing money around gets you better service. I find that not to be the case, at least on the many cruises we have taken on various lines. The crew see you coming, and I believe they bilk you for this cultural practice. The crew will treat anybody with impeccable service, as long as that person treats the crew member with dignity and respect.

Also, the stereotype of workers on cruise lines hailing from impoverished villages in the middle of a jungle where people live 20 to a room and have no running water is a stereotype that is about 20 or 30 years old and really isn't true today.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

...just because I'm one of the "you Americans" doesn't mean I don't understand the tipping practices in Europe...it seems as though you are stating the same things in many posts, and it's starting to get offensive. Maybe I'm one of those "dumb Americans" too?

Best,

pink

I completely understand your position. It is interesting for me to speculate on why tipping has evolved to the point it has in the US. In many restaurants (not on cruise ships) the tip is automatically added for larger parties, generally 6 or more customers. I guess these tables will require more time and effort and they want to insure that the staff is compensated accordingly.

Typically larger groups at restaurants will take up tables for a longer time than smaller groups, so a waiter working a larger table will only get one set of tips not two (assuming a table turns over at least once a night). In addition there is additional work needed to have everything to a large table at once instead of being able to stagger for multiple tables. Frequently extra large groups will end up with multiple waiters as well, which means more people to share a smaller tip pool.

But the biggest reason many restaurants went to automatic tips for large groups is that unfortunately many times the percentage tipped by a large group was less than that of smaller groups, despite the extra work for the table. I know that I have observed people who are generous tippers in small group settings, tip less when they are in larger groups (things like a $1 for a $20 plus tab etc).

Just an explanation for why some restaurants went to automatic gratuities for groups (and then everyone followed).

Depends on the service needed. Often I have the soda package going, so when I grab a mixed or frozen drink I do so at the bar I frequent most for the soda...and in turn tend to give afew extra bucks to that bar tender during the course of the week. On out South American cruise out of Colon it was really appreciated as apparently many of the other folks on the cruise either were not using the bar or did not tip any extra. I few extra tips and any frozen drinks I wanted had the best and fullest booze content he could get away dishing out.:D

Money talks, that way I don't have to waste time standing behind someone getting soda refills or asking for some silly frozen girly-drink......

I drink soda so you calling me a girl:confused: and you would be pushing in front of me thats for sure:)

oh crikey we're sailing on FOS in 5 weeks on our first cruise. Now I'm very confused. I thought it was a cash free boat and hadn't intended on taking money with me when I leave the state room. We are British but we tip good service very well here, usually 20% but wasn't intending on tipping on top of the 15% except on the last day. Oh dear I'm very confused with this cruising etiquette stuff :(

oh crikey we're sailing on FOS in 5 weeks on our first cruise. Now I'm very confused. I thought it was a cash free boat and hadn't intended on taking money with me when I leave the state room. We are British but we tip good service very well here, usually 20% but wasn't intending on tipping on top of the 15% except on the last day. Oh dear I'm very confused with this cruising etiquette stuff :(

You really don't have to give any extra beyond the 15% that is added on your bar tab; I usually don't. You just need a couple/few dollars for when you order room service as they do not include the tip on that. (Although there is a 'service charge' of $3.95 if you order at certain late hours)

Tipping above the included 15% (ordering cocktails or whatever from the bar) isnt mandatory. If you find a bar tender that you clicked with, that goes above and beyond or whatever, if you find you want to tip more and show appreciation, you can add it onto the bill you sign for your drinks - No Cash needed.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Archived