Do you TIP your Bar Tenders

DH and I have an ever lasting conversation regarding tipping your bar tenders.

Last cruise DH left an awful lot of our $$$$ with the bar tenders. when I realized, I was not a happy camper.

Over the weekend DH asked what I have read on CC about how others TIP the Bar Tenders. Throughout the years on CC I have read many different viewpoints: some have stated they find one bar tender day one and tip him generously (is this cash inhand or added on to the receipt)

some have stated, Hey, there is already 15% added, why would I tip more?

Fellow cruise-mates, please tell me, "What do you do"????

For most of the bartenders I do not tip anything additional. If I do come across one or two particular servers who I hit it off with and subsequently receive extra, exceptional service, at the end of the cruise I give them an additional cash tip as a "thank you".

We do not tip above the tip already automatically added to your bill.

From someone who lives in a country where tipping is not practiced, I also find it offensive that the tip is "automatically" added -- isn't a tip supposed to be voluntary?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Madrid

Usually, we just leave it at 15%. Occasionally my husband will add on a dollar or two. If they are just opening a beer or pouring a glass of wine, we don't add to the tip. If they are mixing something that requires more effort, then probably. If we spend a lot of time in one bar, then we do tip extra - maybe $5 for the evening.

I generally tip 1$ per drink served, which is how I generally tip at my local bars here. Yes, this is on top of the 15%, which I seriously just view as a necessary part of the price. The 1$ doesn't break the bank, and it's an additional 10-20% tip when you consider the price of the drink. Works for me. :D

From someone who lives in a country where tipping is not practiced, I also find it offensive that the tip is "automatically" added -- isn't a tip supposed to be voluntary?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Madrid

That's a big point of contention, would you be more open to it if it were a 15% service charge or simply all the prices were increased by the 15% so it's hidden?

I think 15% is ample for most drinks...at bars at home, (when ordering a beer!) that's MORE than ample for opening 2 bottles!

If we frequent one particular bar on the ship, we will generally give the bartender a bit extra on the last night, when we're tipping the others who have served us,

No--we don't "write in" additional tips on our bar chits.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Madrid

I can understand how this could seem odd to someone not accustomed to tipping. I look at it as a convenience since I would be including a tip anyway.

For most of the bartenders I do not tip anything additional. If I do come across one or two particular servers who I hit it off with and subsequently receive extra, exceptional service, at the end of the cruise I give them an additional cash tip as a "thank you".

This is what I do as well.

We always leave atleast a $1 cash tip for each drink we get. If we get a bucket of beers or a bottle of wine we usually leave a $5. If we find a spot that we love and a bartender that we really enjoy than we will usually leave a $10-$20 tip each night for them if we sit for a while. I don't wait until the last night as you don't know if you will find that person or not...so I tip either by the drink or each night when we leave the bar.

We do this at home so there is no reason to not do this on the ship and they really don't make a lot of money so it means more to them than it does to us...if we can't afford an extra $50-$100 for the week then we shouldn't be drinking (atleast that is how I feel about it)

Everyone feels differently and you do what feels right to you. I normally say to my husband...put yourself in that person spot...what you would you want us to do?

My DH tips a responsive bar tender when we first get on board. In the theater he gets someone and tips first or second night. We usually try to sit in about the same area and they always look for us and get our drinks in a hurry. After first night we usually don't need to ask our crew member (they become our friend after first night) will look our way and silently ask if we want something, if we say no he doesn't both us again. Makes it so nice to have our special friend looking out for us. :D

I generally tip 1$ per drink served, which is how I generally tip at my local bars here. Yes, this is on top of the 15%, which I seriously just view as a necessary part of the price. The 1$ doesn't break the bank, and it's an additional 10-20% tip when you consider the price of the drink. Works for me. :D
My DH tips a $1 a drink, which I think is a bit much for a beer but he works as a waiter so he knows how it is to live on tips, plus many people don't tip ever. Even on a cruise where 15% is included, I'm sure he'll tip a few bucks for the day.

This is what happens to only the bartenders' 15% gratuity The 15% auto tip is pooled and divided equally among all the bartenders on that cruise, including the ones working the crew bar and any service bar that you don't see. Anything you add to the tab or tip in cash is for that one bartender only.

We always tip additional. $1 and $5 throughout the cruise and on the last day $20 to who ever really stood out.

This is what happens to only the bartenders' 15% gratuity The 15% auto tip is pooled and divided equally among all the bartenders on that cruise, including the ones working the crew bar and any service bar that you don't see. Anything you add to the tab or tip in cash is for that one bartender only.

We always tip additional. $1 and $5 throughout the cruise and on the last day $20 to who ever really stood out.

I always questioned this too. I knew the 15% gets pooled, but if you hand write/add in an extra tip, are we sure it goes directly to the bar tender or does that get pooled as well? I know cash goes in their pocket, or did? With added cameras (I think that was in fall of 07 on Explorer) are they able to still accept cash?

My DH tips a responsive bar tender when we first get on board. In the theater he gets someone and tips first or second night. We usually try to sit in about the same area and they always look for us and get our drinks in a hurry. After first night we usually don't need to ask our crew member (they become our friend after first night) will look our way and silently ask if we want something, if we say no he doesn't both us again. Makes it so nice to have our special friend looking out for us. :D

We do the same & also find our new friends take very good care of us......... It's well worth a few extra dollars & I believe they're greatly appreciated.

I always questioned this too. I knew the 15% gets pooled, but if you hand write/add in an extra tip, are we sure it goes directly to the bar tender or does that get pooled as well? I know cash goes in their pocket, or did? With added cameras (I think that was in fall of 07 on Explorer) are they able to still accept cash?

We were om the Explorer in April & the bartender in the Schooner put cash tips in a box beside the cash register. I was surprised to see it but didn't ask if they were now required to pool all tips. If that's the case, I hope he was able to keep the extra I put in an envelope for him on the last night.

We're on Navigator next month. It will be interesting to see if they do the same thing.

Are you referring to just BARTENDERS, not servers? Because this is not true for the servers. I'm very good friends with a bar server on RCCL and he says they do NOT pool tips. The servers keep the tips on the drinks they serve. That's why he hustles. The more drinks he serves, the more money he makes. The servers that are slackers, make less money. This is fair IMO. If they pooled the tips, the slackers would benefit from the efforts of those who work their butts off.

All cash is also pooled. If they are caught putting anything in their pocket they are immediately fired. The bar managers are watching the cameras closely.

As a former bartender, I always tip personal who do extra stuff for me. Whether it is the a server, busser in the Windjammer, or a bartender that will be making drinks for me. I usually give a 1-2 $ per round. They will always serve me first and make the drinks stronger.

I normally bring $100-$150 in ones just to tip extra....

We tip the bartenders in the DL or CL (where we do most of our drinking) as we would tip for any drink onboard. If we order an occasional drink outside of that, we usually just tip the 15% gratuity unless someone is unusually charming.

Archived