Do you TIP your Bar Tenders

DH and I have an ever lasting conversation regarding tipping your bar tenders.

Last cruise DH left an awful lot of our $$$$ with the bar tenders. when I realized, I was not a happy camper.

Over the weekend DH asked what I have read on CC about how others TIP the Bar Tenders. Throughout the years on CC I have read many different viewpoints: some have stated they find one bar tender day one and tip him generously (is this cash inhand or added on to the receipt)

some have stated, Hey, there is already 15% added, why would I tip more?

Fellow cruise-mates, please tell me, "What do you do"????

Since it is already added into the charge i do not tip extra. They get enough of my money

As a former bartender, I always tip personal who do extra stuff for me. Whether it is the a server, busser in the Windjammer, or a bartender that will be making drinks for me. I usually give a 1-2 $ per round. They will always serve me first and make the drinks stronger.

I normally bring $100-$150 in ones just to tip extra....

You should wait your turn like everyone else.

Normally every cruise one bartender will pick you by the pool area and take good care of you , my wife being a soda drinker doesn't like to hassle getting her cup refilled so I will give the guy or gal little extra to make sure you has plenty when she is by the pool and keep me in my buckets of beer .

I will sometimes tip the one at dinner as well depending if they have my wifes soda waiting for her , and bring her a refill , and me a drink if with out having to run them down, our last cruise the young man was waiting on as we walked in the door.

I feel above and beyond the call of duty deserves something extra.

None of the Europeans are chiming in on this thread ......

I wonder why .......

Dear American friends and especially the OP:

Please understand that most of the responses you are receiving are from Americans. Most Europeans answering this type of poll would take the opposite viewpoint -- and remember that not all passengers on cruises are Americans.

Tipping is not part of our culture in many European countries, so most of us, although obviously not all of us, would take the position that no extra tip is required, and that even the automatic 15% should be discretionary, if it indeed is a gratuity.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

This is what happens to only the bartenders' 15% gratuity The 15% auto tip is pooled and divided equally among all the bartenders on that cruise, including the ones working the crew bar and any service bar that you don't see. Anything you add to the tab or tip in cash is for that one bartender only.

We always tip additional. $1 and $5 throughout the cruise and on the last day $20 to who ever really stood out.

Good to know, definitely makes a difference.

None of the Europeans are chiming in on this thread ......

I wonder why .......

Dear American friends and especially the OP:

Please understand that most of the responses you are receiving are from Americans. Most Europeans answering this type of poll would take the opposite viewpoint -- and remember that not all passengers on cruises are Americans.

Tipping is not part of our culture in many European countries, so most of us, although obviously not all of us, would take the position that no extra tip is required, and that even the automatic 15% should be discretionary, if it indeed is a gratuity.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I think the waitstaff are hired on with the assumption that there will be a certain level of income earned in tips. If they made tipping optional, there would be a portion of the population that wouldn't tip at all and some that would tip very generously. I would imagine that certain ships are more heavily populated with non US passengers than others. By automatically adding the tip, perhaps the goal is to keep the wages relatively uniform across the fleet.

Not meaning to argue with you. I do think it is an interesting topic.

I do not feel you are arguing with me, and all of the reasons you are giving for the tip to be "automatic" are quite valid.

The only point I was trying to make is that 80% of the replies seem to take the attitude of tipping extra, and this would probably not be the same position taken by many Europeans.

I have long accepted that purchases on cruise ships include an automatic gratuity, but my own personal opinion is that I do not feel it is necessary to tip above that amount.

Naturally I respect the opinions and practices of my fellow cruisers.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I do not feel you are arguing with me, and all of the reasons you are giving for the tip to be "automatic" are quite valid.

The only point I was trying to make is that 80% of the replies seem to take the attitude of tipping extra, and this would probably not be the same position taken by many Europeans.

I have long accepted that purchases on cruise ships include an automatic gratuity, but my own personal opinion is that I do not feel it is necessary to tip above that amount.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I completely understand your position. It is interesting for me to speculate on why tipping has evolved to the point it has in the US. In many restaurants (not on cruise ships) the tip is automatically added for larger parties, generally 6 or more customers. I guess these tables will require more time and effort and they want to insure that the staff is compensated accordingly.

And the customary tip used to be 15% and now 18% or 20% seems to be more the norm.

I can see how it seems contradictory to "automatically" add the gratuity meant to show appreciation for good service.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Just out of curiosity...how do the servers in Europe make money if they are not tipped? Are they paid a higher wage to make up for the tips?

Would anyone feel differently for a server as opposed to the bartender him/herself? In lounges and bars or the pool bar, etc. you are served by someone who goes and gets the drink for you. In some bars you can take a seat at the bar and be served by the bartender who actually mixes your drink. Is there a difference in whom to tip extra?

My DH tips a responsive bar tender when we first get on board.
In the theater he gets someone and tips first or second night. We usually try to sit in about the same area and they always look for us and get our drinks in a hurry. After first night we usually don't need to ask our crew member (they become our friend after first night) will look our way and silently ask if we want something, if we say no he doesn't both us again. Makes it so nice to have our special friend looking out for us.
:D

This is how it works for us in the theatre as well! We will sometimes tip $1 or $2 to bar servers by the pool or in the schooner as well. We have often gotten the same server in the WJ for breakfast and DH has often tipped them something at the end of the cruise.

Would anyone feel differently for a server as opposed to the bartender him/herself? In lounges and bars or the pool bar, etc. you are served by someone who goes and gets the drink for you. In some bars you can take a seat at the bar and be served by the bartender who actually mixes your drink. Is there a difference in whom to tip extra?

Tip the person who serves you. If someone is bringing you a drink that the bartender made, that person will either be tipping the bartender a portion of his tips or there will be some prior arrangement made by the employer. You don't have to worry about tipping the original source of your drink.

15% is enough. I just do not believe in outrageous tipping whether on the ship or here at home, so therefore, if a tip is included, then that's it. Same thing for a waiter/waitress in a restaurant....if we are with a group and they tell us up front that a group of XXX a tip will be added, then there ya go. The whole tipping thing is out of hand. BTW, I have worked as a server so I can go there.

As a former bartender, I always tip personal who do extra stuff for me. Whether it is the a server, busser in the Windjammer, or a bartender that will be making drinks for me. I usually give a 1-2 $ per round. They will always serve me first and make the drinks stronger.

I normally bring $100-$150 in ones just to tip extra....

Ummmm, someone in my party was leaving 10-20X that amount per round. (no names!! lol) on day one and two and then probably tapered off to 5-10X your amount per round. to me this is excessive. I agree with something like $2 a round..If its a large round you're buying, maybe more. but not $20 a round. :eek:

All cash is also pooled. If they are caught putting anything in their pocket they are immediately fired. The bar managers are watching the cameras closely.

I was thinking the same...

>>>>

I will sometimes tip the one at dinner as well depending if they have my wifes soda waiting for her , and bring her a refill , and me a drink if with out having to run them down, our last cruise the young man was waiting on as we walked in the door.

I feel above and beyond the call of duty deserves something extra.

We were tipping her $20 a night too!

Ummmm, someone in my party was leaving 10-20X that amount per round. (no names!! lol) on day one and two and then probably tapered off to 5-10X your amount per round. to me this is excessive. I agree with something like $2 a round..If its a large round you're buying, maybe more. but not $20 a round. :eek:

I was thinking the same...

wow :eek:

Are you referring to just BARTENDERS, not servers? Because this is not true for the servers. I'm very good friends with a bar server on RCCL and he says they do NOT pool tips. The servers keep the tips on the drinks they serve. That's why he hustles. The more drinks he serves, the more money he makes. The servers that are slackers, make less money. This is fair IMO. If they pooled the tips, the slackers would benefit from the efforts of those who work their butts off.

Just bartenders.

I always questioned this too. I knew the 15% gets pooled, but if you hand write/add in an extra tip, are we sure it goes directly to the bar tender or does that get pooled as well? I know cash goes in their pocket, or did? With added cameras (I think that was in fall of 07 on Explorer) are they able to still accept cash?

The hand write/add extra tip goes directly to the bartender. When we cruised in April cash went in their pocket. There might be tip boxes at bars that have more than one bartender. It depends how the team wants to work it. This info is from bartenders we spoke to.

wow :eek:

I agree. And I keep thinking, this cant happen again! lol

Honestly, Im not concerned about tipping toooo much, THANKS TO THIS THREAD! :D Seriously, sometimes you go a little overboard.

We also do enjoy tipping, but Im starting to think differently on how to and how much.

Archived