Meet and Greet "Bring a $5 Gift".....

sail7seas

ok, I have organized m & g's and now as we head off very shortly, I have a sail a away organized along with two m&g's.

we have over 100 people registered and a very active roll call.:D

I think people just want to finally meet the people that they have been 'talking' to all this time. I know I do.

M & G's are only one hour. with over 100 people, I never raised the issue because I think we will barely have enough time to get to meet everyone.

so, we're not doing it. Personally, I never thought of it and no one asked.

I think we all just want to get together. Never have done it so can't comment. I don't know about the gift exchange, I do know it's fun meeting the people you have been on the roll call with. :)

M & G's are only one hour. with over 100 people, I never raised the issue because I think we will barely have enough time to get to meet everyone.

....... :)

Good point! With that many people I wouldn't want a gift exchange either. Ours have always been much smaller groups.

...Or, a jar of Nantucket fog... :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Oh, Nantucket fog, that sounds lovely! I love Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.

This thread has turned out to be pretty entertaining! Thanks, Sail.

It would be fun to find out what little piece of memorabilia people could bring to represent their home towns. Not for real, just for fun!

The M&G on the Noordam this Sept. was a lot of fun.We had a very active roll call with a lot of interaction among the members.We had around 40 at the M&G and gave away a "genuine HAL" tote bag.We put everyones name in a champagne bucket and as we drew out the name they would say their real name as well as their roll call name and where they lived.The last name drawn won the tote bag.Everyone really enjoyed this and it didn't take too long.I personally would not want to think about bringing a gift for an exchange or taking something home in my already crowded suitcase.JMO. We had a great beverage manager on the Noordam and yes he gave us mimosas.:D

We did this on my last cruise and it was a lot of fun, the men were into it as much as the women, also some kids got into it as well. No one got anything that would have taken up too much room in the suitcase. Several sports team baseball caps, playing cards, sunscreen, candy, that sort of stuff. It was a good icebreaker and we had several international people participate. It was fun to see the people from the Meet and Greet on the ship wearing their hat or t-shirt. It wasn't mandatory, but about 85% of the people did it. No one seemed left out and someone took pictures and then emailed them if you wanted a copy. I think it is fun to learn about different parts of the country. :)

A few cruises back I brought Groucho glasses for everyone in the group. Those of us who weren't too uptight to see the fun in that had a great time w/ them. About 20 of us arranged for the ship's photographer to meet us in the dining room on one of the formal nites and we lined up on the staircase in our finery and put the glasses on and had our picture taken as a group. It's still my favorite photo from the 9 cruises we've been on.

Bringing more glasses for our Nieuw Amsterdam trip on Jan 9

...Or, a jar of Nantucket fog... :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

I'm thinking maybe a nice big jar of Florida humidity!:D

Several people have said "no one is forced to join in". I don't know, call me Johnny MarchInStep, but if I've joined a roll call and everyone decides to do a gift exchange, I would feel I was being a little unfriendly to attend yet bring no gift. Talk about an non ice-breaker!!!

And that's the problem with it for me. I think it does make people feel like they have to take part whether they want to or not ... not the best way to make new friends.

The roll call is an ice breaker, the meet and greet is an ice breaker ... often there's a sailaway party and that's an ice breaker. How many ice breakers do we need to start having fun?

Just boarding a ship goes a long way to breaking ice for me!!!! Something comes over me that makes me feel very warm and fuzzy ... dont need a gift ... I got my gift! :D

The gift exchange at the M & G that we attended was held toward the end of the event. It was not used as an ice breaker. When we arrived at the M & G, we left the gifts on the table, were given numbered tickets and proceeded to mingle with the other CC members and any invited ship staff who may have come, just like we do at any M & G.

We did not have to commit in advance to bringing a gift. It was an option which was available for anyone who wanted to participate. The tickets were drawn and the gifts were distributed just prior to the end of the event.

We did not feel pressured to participate, much in the same way that we never feel pressured to purchase drinks at these functions just because others do. It's ok to bring a gift, and it's ok if you don't. No one makes a big deal about it either way. Don't let a gift exchange get in the way of your attending a M & G and meeting all these wonderful CC members.

A few cruises back I brought Groucho glasses for everyone in the group. Those of us who weren't too uptight to see the fun in that had a great time w/ them. About 20 of us arranged for the ship's photographer to meet us in the dining room on one of the formal nites and we lined up on the staircase in our finery and put the glasses on and had our picture taken as a group. It's still my favorite photo from the 9 cruises we've been on.

In 2009 I organized a M&G on a RSVP charter and had about 100 in attendance. I brought lime green leis for everyone and it was fun so see how the leis 'traveled' during the rest of the cruise as people who had not been at the M&G could be spotted wearing them. :)

Have done a few of these and they can be a good time. For those who would skip the M&G if there was a gift exchange, it is best if these are done right at the end of the Formal M&G. That is how we have always done it.

That way those who want to take part do so, those who just want to watch do so, and those who want to leave can also do so.

This then becomes more of a separate event. so no reason for anyone to skip the M&G.

I have heard of it, but have not been to a M&G where it was done. I think it is a fun idea, and people could play along if they want.

I think there could be some really fun items...

If I were to take a souvenir from my "stomping grounds" it would likely be a jar of jam from Knott's Berry Farm, significant because I live in OC.

How about some sand from the Pacific Ocean?

Another thing we are known for in OC, is traffic on our 405 freeway. How could I package that? LOL

Anyway, I think it would be a fun and creative way to interact when you "meet and mingle."

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! boysenberry punch!

We loveeee knotts! the chicken dinner restaurant! don't even get me started!

It would be fun to find out what little piece of memorabilia people could bring to represent their home towns. Not for real, just for fun!

Darn -- Hershey isn't really my home town so now I can't bring any chocolate soup.

Guess since the only mills left operating around here are the coal mills -- lumps of coal make good gifts -- I think?

Archived