Are musical instruments permitted on board?

Of course I'm not talking about a waling electric guitar. :cool: More along the lines of acoustic instruments like a guitar or a ukulele. Are they permitted? Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, bringing yours?

This thread is a MUST READ!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1229873&highlight=

This past August we sailed on a 10 day RCI cruise. We got permission for our daughter to bring her flute and french horn on the ship. They gave us the most remote and sound proof area (the Viking Lounge) and asked her to use it at breakfast time.

It worked out great. Only about 3 couples wandered in the discover her. One man walked away whistling the Irish tune she was playing. If anyone was even slightly annoyed, they didn't show any signs of it.

The bigger question is how the airline deals with the instrument. We were fortunate to be able to drive to the port.

Just make sure you get permission first!

I'm really glad that worked out for you, MD Dan.

I just want to say that the very first thing my husband had me look for when we first started looking into going on a cruise was:

Would they allow him to bring his guitar.

I had several phone calls with Carnival - their website says "no musical instruments", but I wanted to see if I could get him some kind of email or letter giving him permission to bring it as long as he agreed not to play it on board, only when we went off the ship at port - and Carnival would not agree to that. (Carnival had a great price on an itinerary we really wanted - although after looking into Carnival further I don't think we would have gone with them anyway because of other "deal-breakers").

So then it was on to Royal Caribbean - and the first thing I looked for on their website was whether or not they prohibited musical instruments. If my husband couldn't have brought his guitar, we honestly would NOT have signed up for the cruise. I know that other people might not understand how musicians are about their music (obviously, other people DON'T understand, from posts on that link MD Dan gave). And to him it isn't completely about "keeping in practice"..... It's also what he does to relax, having a guitar in his hands is just a natural thing for him. He'd drive me crazy if he had to go a week without playing..... :eek:;)

So, Thanks Royal Caribbean!!!

This thread is a MUST READ!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1229873&highlight=

The bigger question is how the airline deals with the instrument. We were fortunate to be able to drive to the port.

There's a song about that by Dave Carroll. Seems the baggage handlers like to throw them around a bit until somebody misses.

I know that other people might not understand how musicians are about their music (obviously, other people DON'T understand, from posts on that link MD Dan gave). And to him it isn't completely about "keeping in practice"..... It's also what he does to relax, having a guitar in his hands is just a natural thing for him. He'd drive me crazy if he had to go a week without playing..... :eek:;)

If I don't practice for one day, I can tell the difference. If I don't practice for two days, my band-mates can tell the difference. If I don't practice for a week, everybody can tell the difference. [That's a quote, don't remember who, but it's also true for me and just about any musician.]

I just want to say that the very first thing my husband had me look for when we first started looking into going on a cruise was:

Would they allow him to bring his guitar.

I had several phone calls with Carnival - their website says "no musical instruments", but I wanted to see if I could get him some kind of email or letter giving him permission to bring it as long as he agreed not to play it on board, only when we went off the ship at port - and Carnival would not agree to that. (Carnival had a great price on an itinerary we really wanted - although after looking into Carnival further I don't think we would have gone with them anyway because of other "deal-breakers").

So then it was on to Royal Caribbean - and the first thing I looked for on their website was whether or not they prohibited musical instruments. If my husband couldn't have brought his guitar, we honestly would NOT have signed up for the cruise. I know that other people might not understand how musicians are about their music (obviously, other people DON'T understand, from posts on that link MD Dan gave). And to him it isn't completely about "keeping in practice"..... It's also what he does to relax, having a guitar in his hands is just a natural thing for him. He'd drive me crazy if he had to go a week without playing..... :eek:;)

I am not a chronic complainer and I love music and all instruments. However, I don't want to listen to your husband playing his instrument. Sorry. He may be great but he would drive me crazy if in the room next to me. I paid a lot of money for my room and I don't want to hear someone next door playing an instrument. Hope he is not sailing this weekend.

I agree and Im the furthest from a crabby person. Thats something I just dont want to hear when I am sitting on my balcony with DH..... :eek:

Me as well....I cannot for the life of me figure out why someone would entertain the thought of bringing an instrument on vacation. I love to sit on my balcony and listen to the sea not some random music. Please keep it at home.....

My husband will be bringing his guitar. It's electric. But it plugs into a kind of "personal amplifier", he's the only one that can hear it, thru earphones. If I'm sitting right beside him, I can barely hear the notes he's playing. He'll be able to sit out on the balcony and play and the people on the next balcony won't even hear it.

Quoting myself, for lakette3.....:rolleyes: And no, we're not sailing this weekend.

Anyone here with a real name of Paul surname McCartney ? Or a James Taylor? Feel free to bring your guitar on the November 8th Adventure sailing out of Malaga. I'll deal with any crabby comments.....

Speaking of, on the Jewel TA that I just did, we had Travis Barker (drummer from the band Blink 182) onboard as a passenger. RCCL had him set up his drums in the Viking Crown - at first it was in Hollywood Odyssey. Unfortunately where they had him set up blocked everything for their own entertainment. Oops!:eek: They later moved his stuff into a small room off the Hollywood Odyssey and he practiced daily.

It got to be funny because people kept stopping me and going "You're young. This guy with all the tattoos. I hear he's someone famous. Who is he?"

Not a great picture but here he is waiting to get off the ship at the end of the cruise.

5013866412_e4f693f3d5.jpg

Of course I'm not talking about a waling electric guitar. :cool: More along the lines of acoustic instruments like a guitar or a ukulele. Are they permitted? Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, bringing yours?
I was thinking about bringing my fender telecaster on my next cruise, but all I have is a inside cabin and would have no room for my Marshall amp.

Amazes me how some can't go for 7 days without:

their special brand of coffee,

scotch,

bottled water,

beer,

musical instrument

....:confused:

To me a vacation is an opportunity to break from the normal routine.

Amazes me how some can't go for 7 days without:

their special brand of coffee,

scotch,

bottled water,

beer,

musical instrument

....:confused:

To me a vacation is an opportunity to break from the normal routine.

I agree with the main idea of this post. But who are we to decide what makes a person relax and destress. I enjoy religious services on a cruise. I think that many of our our daily and weekly routines should follow us on vacation.

You need to read that whole thread. Many of us questioned it also. Both of the parents replied.

You're assuming that I didn't read the whole thread...which would be an incorrect assumption.

Since the poster felt the need to re-post it again, I felt the question needed to be asked again, since the idea of bringing a french horn on a cruise ship is preposterous. My dad was a bass player in a famous orchestra in the big band era and I doubt he would have felt the need to drag his bass onto a cruise ship for fear of losing his "fingers"...

We had a guy on the Jewel a couple of years ago, who sang like an angel and played guitar near the deck where the ping pong table was - we sat there in the afternoon, and were so entertained - hope someone does this again - it was great

We also had a young man on the Mariner a few years back who brought his guitar on board - all I know is that his name was Mark and he ended up in the Wig and Gavel a few nights with Jimmy Blackmore jamming, we sat there just about every night, they were fantastic together - made for an enjoyable cruise:)

When we cruised on Liberty a few years ago, there was a group of 4 or so older ladies from one of the Pacific Islands ... they sang and one of them played a uke as well. They sounded wonderful in the afternoons up by the pool or up on deck somewhere in the early/mid evening hours. Not so much on their balcony, two down from us ... when they'd get down there around midnight and start up, with lots of do-overs and loud laughing & talking ... we did call down to them to please stop and they did.

My son is a percussionist and trying to work as a professional musician and I know the importance of practicepracticepractice but don't want to listen to it in my cabin! When he doesn't have his sticks or mallets, he just taps/beats his fingers or hands on any available surface ... and stops if he is asked. (I only ask him to stop when he is using my head or the back of my seat in the car.)

After reading all of this, I better tell my brother to leave his bagpipes and other instruments home(he's just finishing up college and is majoring in becoming a music teacher). Though that won't stop him from singing and he does have an amazing voice.

We're a musical family, especially with Celtic music. My mom can play the bagpipes. While my dad and I play bodran drums, which are handheld drums and you twirl the stick on the drum to play it. We all play in a bagpipe band, with my dad and I playing the bass drums.

I assure all that don't want to listen, we won't be brining any of our instruments(though I'm not so sure about my brother, if he is coming) when we go on our cruise.

My husband will be bringing his guitar. It's electric. But it plugs into a kind of "personal amplifier",

I see your in Iowa, have you cruised, or flown since lately? With the way airlines are charging for baggage these days we are trying to leave as much behind as possible.

Sorry. I'm at work and bored. I had a mental image of someone trying to get a grand piano through the scanners....

I need a holiday....

Thank you!

I will NOT pack the Steinway!!!!

Just my hubbies bagpipe and speedo....

Hahaha!!! That's great :) I needed a good laugh today

Playing an engineer in my day job, I can assure that I will not be bringing my slide rule or calculator on board.

Slide rule!! You are dating yourself. I do not think that anyone should be allowed to use an electronic calculator unless they have demonstrated proficiency with an abacus and a slide rule first.

BTW - have you ever used a circular slide rule?

On another different subject with regard to kids playing instruments. My daughter (now 35) plays the cello and is very good at it. When she decided in middle school that she wanted to play a stringed instrument, she first decided that she wanted to play the violin. We suggested that she try the cello instead of the violin as there would be fewer cello players than violin players. What we did not tell her and will never tell her (although it makes no difference now) is that one reason we suggested the change is that a poorly played violin sounds much worse than a poorly played cello. Turns out that she had a natural talent for the instrument so it worked out in the end.

DON

Archived