New beverage cards just posted

Linda&Vern

I have a strange feeling that these new cards will not really be a good deal.

I think it is just a way to make things easier for the bar staff -- they just run the card through the register -- don't have to punch in any numbers -- out comes your receipt to show how much you have left on the card.

We will all just have to wait and see if they are good deal -- what the limitations are, etc.

DAMN!

I was going to pre-order a 20-glass wine card for my Volemdam 14-day 'Pacific Treasures' cruise next January but waited too long.

They were available yesterday, but sure enough, today have been replaced by the beverage cards (I just logged in to look).

Sounds to me like these cards are nothing more than debit cards, with a 10% discount for committing to spending $50 or $100. Like all gift cards, the seller usually ends up way ahead because people lose them, forget to redeem them, or don't use up the whole thing. With the wine card, I'd have a glass of wine with dinner each night, sometimes even a second glass. Now I think I'll be spending less on alcohol because I won't be committing to 10 or 20 glasses over the span of a cruise.

The new beverage cards are a worse deal than the (replaced) wine cards!:mad: You will loose the equivalent of two to three drinks!:mad:

Sail - I have no idea if these are "deals" or not. I've never purchased either. Others will have to comment on the "worth" these new cards are. I honestly don't have a clue. I posted because I was curious as to what was available and noticed the new offerings.

Thanks.

We never bothered to buy the cards as we would forget to use them. I still have a coffee card we received as a gift and in about 7 cruises since, we've only used it for three coffees. We always forget we have the card. :o

I guess that thing is now worthless.

Just an FYI, my booking which was switched from two 20 pour wine cards to two $50 beverage cards has now been switched BACK to the wine cards! :cool:

Based on my phone call to ship services, perhaps? And whether it stays that way....... time will tell! :rolleyes:

Just an FYI, my booking which was switched from two 20 pour wine cards to two $50 beverage cards has now been switched BACK to the wine cards! :cool:

Based on my phone call to ship services, perhaps? And whether it stays that way....... time will tell! :rolleyes:

Do you mean they switched your already bought-and-paid-for $77.something (however much they were), 20-glass Wine Cards to $50.00 Beverage Cards? If so, I'd be making some (yelling) phone calls too!... LOL.

The new beverage cards say the 15% gratuity is included in the price, so if one purchases an adult beverage say for a price of $6.00 is that amount only debited against the 50.00 card, or would it be the $6.00 plus 15%?? Not sure how these new cards are supposed to work. I am saddened that I didn't got ahead and purchase the wine cards already. Had planned on doing that this weekend for our upcoming cruise.

That is a good question...I think only those who have used the new bewverage card can answer that..

Mine was too, only it still has only one wine card..Will call them now & find out why it does not show as three wine cards..

Betty

The new beverage cards say the 15% gratuity is included in the price, so if one purchases an adult beverage say for a price of $6.00 is that amount only debited against the 50.00 card, or would it be the $6.00 plus 15%?? Not sure how these new cards are supposed to work.

When on our Westerdam cruise in April we bought the beverage cards. Both drink and the gratuity were charged against the card. We found them to be convenient and for the most part to be more economical for cocktails, but feel that the wine card is a much better deal for wine.

Mine was too, only it still has only one wine card..Will call them now & find out why it does not show as three wine cards..Betty

OK the answer was they show three wine cards on their records, but can't insert it into the Custom Itinerary... They said i should take my receipt with us & the three cards will be delivered on board..

Cheers...:)Betty

Do you mean they switched your already bought-and-paid-for $77.something (however much they were), 20-glass Wine Cards to $50.00 Beverage Cards? If so, I'd be making some (yelling) phone calls too!... LOL.

yes they have switched already, I just checked ours. I guess they owe me 2.63.

Check you custom itinerary again...They switched me to a beverage card too, but just before I called they had already switched the beverage card back to a wine card on our "Custom itinerary"..Ships Services show I purchased three wine cards on their records & I have the receipt..

Cheers.....:)Betty

I had a card for sodas and a card for the explorer lounge, now I have soda card and a 50 dollar non-alcoholic card. Might be a good deal for me if I get both. But that is not what I ordered.

If you want it switched back, I would call if I was you. That's what I did, and I even mentioned the fact that I was on a very popular message board and would be posting....;)

My wine cards -> beverage cards..... were switched back to wine cards!

For now, anyways.

Sounds to me like these cards are nothing more than debit cards, with a 10% discount for committing to spending $50 or $100. Like all gift cards, the seller usually ends up way ahead because people lose them, forget to redeem them, or don't use up the whole thing. With the wine card, I'd have a glass of wine with dinner each night, sometimes even a second glass. Now I think I'll be spending less on alcohol because I won't be committing to 10 or 20 glasses over the span of a cruise.

You can still have a glass of house wine each night on the beverage card...it's just thast the wine be the per glass charge according to the menu..

Our 3 wine cards were switched to one $50 beverage card & then it was switched back to wine cards before I called... Wonder if someone is monitering this thread..;) BTW we're not big drinkers but are on a 20 day cruise with four Friends, two of which have never been on HAL before....

Cheers....:)Betty

This is what I ordered and not what is on the web site. They appear to be changing both wine and other cards.

Explorations Cafe Coffee Card

Guest 2

Delivery Details: 12/3/10, Dining

Quantity: 1

$29.90

Soda Fountain Card (good for 20 sodas)

Guest 1

Delivery Details: 12/3/10, Dining

Quantity: 1

$20.70

Total

$50.60

Our 3 wine cards were switched to one $50 beverage card & then it was switched back to wine cards before I called... Wonder if someone is monitering this thread..;) Cheers....:)Betty

Well, it's interesting.... when I spoke to the HAL rep this morning and mentioned that they should expect a LOT of phone calls and that I would be posting what happened on the board, her exact words were " thank you so much for helping us out with this ma'am ".

So...... perhaps? ;)

I just spoke to a manager at HAL. All of the wine cards are gone. They will not even be on the ships. Even if it is changed on your booking, it wil be changed back to the new card once onboard. I AM SO FRUSTRATED WITH HAL!!!!!!!!

That's unfair! It's not my fault that their WEB site was not up to date....

I completely understand why they are phasing out the wine cards, but they should honor those which have previously been purchased on-line..

I'm just venting now, as will not let anything keep us from enjoying this cruise...Have just booked our ROV with Ships Services & am very excited that our four best Friends will be with us on this cruise & both of them will have an Anniversariy during this cruise...

Cheers.....:)Betty

On HAL's website under indulgences the beverages cards plainly state that the 15% gratuity is included in the cost of each. So given that I don't believe they should charge the 15% again when one purchases a drink with one of these cards. Am I right????:confused:

No. Because the new Beverage Cards are essentially pre-paid debit cards, if you order a $6.00 glass of wine your card will be debited $6.00 + .90 (15% 'gratuity') for a total of $6.90

HAL's lawyers will soon have them delete the statement the "15% service charge is included" for the beverage cards on the website.

Archived