Large group with private performances on cruise

LindaKE

Someone just posted on our Roll Call that there will be a large group on our cruise. The group is a Celtic Music group and will have private performances. Will this mean that the rest of us will not have shows, etc. to attend? My first reaction was that a full ship is a full ship, but now I'm wondering if such a group would impact our enjoyment?

Thanks!

Inquire exactly how large their group is.

If it is only 200 people or less, on a ship the size of Zuiderdam, you'll be fine. If it is very much larger, you could start to lose use of public areas.

Not certain how large your group will be. We were on a cruise once with about 80 Ball Room Dancers. They did not interrup shows or anything else. They mainly danced at certain times in the Northern Lights -- during the day time.

One time we have about 150 "production" people from Miami and they showed movies all morning and all afternoon in the show lounge. The Bingo games and a few other afternoon activities were moved to the Crow's Nest and the Queen's Lounge. The evening shows went on as normal.

I was on a cruise once with a handbell choir "convention". Handbell choirs from all over the country were there, learning music and holding meetings. I am sure that they made use of some of the various rooms, but I don't remember any monumental substitutions or cancellations. They gave a performance towards the end of the cruise--in the Hudson/Half Moon/Stuyvesant rooms and it was PACKED. People were sitting in the hallways to listen.

we have big group on first part of our back to back cruise and just found open seating dining is not available for the first week never been on with a big group before hope it wont be drastically different, plus winecards been cancelled this week too, what next bad news always comes in threes.

Inquire exactly how large their group is.

If it is only 200 people or less, on a ship the size of Zuiderdam, you'll be fine. If it is very much larger, you could start to lose use of public areas.

I just e-mailed the TA booking the group. They're expecting 150.

Thanks everone!

Might be nice to hear Celtic music...you can all learn to step dance!:D

I was on a ship with Poker players one time. If anything, they were so busy playing poker in the Cards room, it freed up the rest of the ship for us!

Another time I was on with Dentists. My mom broke a tooth, and it never occurred to me until later that I probably could have asked one of them to re-cement it! (By then, we'd made friends with a few of them)

we have big group on first part of our back to back cruise and just found open seating dining is not available for the first week never been on with a big group before hope it wont be drastically different, plus winecards been cancelled this week too, what next bad news always comes in threes.

I don't know if you're planning to make reservations in the PG or Tamarind - but there are no available reservations the first week - we'll be on the 14 day B2B as well.

Might be nice to hear Celtic music...you can all learn to step dance!:D

That occured to me too. I asked the TA if we could attend some of their performances if there was room. He replied that he would inquire if we were willing to pay $200 pp. I like Celtic music, but that much!

We were on a cruise once with about 200 Sunflower seed farmers and their families. They were an interesting bunch. Very friendly.

I asked what the difference was between sunflower seeds meant for human consumption and those for animals. Got my answer. The way they look. Good ones go to human group,damaged or rough looking ones for the animals. I guess the gerbils and small animals get the rougher looking ones.

We were with a large group of MacGeeks on our Volendam cruise.

They used the smaler public rooms on Upper Promenade for their lectures and meetings during the day, but in no way affected our enjoyment of the cruise.

Your Mileage may Vary.

We were just on Maasdam with a group of maybe 180 people from The Weekly Standard - Fred Barnes and Bill Crystal. We thought it would great affect us but it did not in any way even though they occupied about 80 % of the "S" Suites, thereby having ue of Neptune Lounge. They never bothered us at all.

Archived