OK I this may seem small to some but ??

frito58

Just found out we can't open our balcony dividers on the Radiance:(

Never even really thought to check , this will be our 10th cruise on maybe the 6th different ship , always figured they opened up. Just found out by accident on a post when I was searching something that Radiance class ships are bolted down, Haven't even told our cruise mates yet , not sure how I'm going to tell the wedding party who have like 5 cabins in a row and I told them they could open all their balconys up to make 1 :o guess I'll plead the 5th.

Always look foward to that extra space on the balcony when we book a couple of rooms together, I mean we will survive , not like our cruise is ruined , just a little bummed I guess.

I would find this doubtful. On every RCCL ship that we have sailed on in the last few years, the balcony dividers are CAPABLE of being opened. On the occasions where they wish to steam clean the balconies, they open all the dividers and start on one end with the steam/pressure spray hose and work their way to the other end. There are always some cabins that have solid steel walls, and they do not open. (Although I have seen some of the solid walls where there was a doorway cut into the wall)>

Now the question is, whether they are willing to open the dividers. Ask your cabin steward, and it may be possible. Different ships seem to have different policies. The door locks are a simple rotating type of lock that could probably be easily opened with a pair of needle nose pliers.;)

BTW, we have sailed on most classes, but not the Radiance class, so this may be an issue peculiar to Radiance class ships.

I would find this doubtful. On every RCCL ship that we have sailed on in the last few years, the balcony dividers are CAPABLE of being opened. On the occasions where they wish to steam clean the balconies, they open all the dividers and start on one end with the steam/pressure spray hose and work their way to the other end. There are always some cabins that have solid steel walls, and they do not open. (Although I have seen some of the solid walls where there was a doorway cut into the wall)>

Now the question is, whether they are willing to open the dividers. Ask your cabin steward, and it may be possible. Different ships seem to have different policies. The door locks are a simple rotating type of lock that could probably be easily opened with a pair of needle nose pliers.;)

BTW, we have sailed on most classes, but not the Radiance class, so this may be an issue peculiar to Radiance class ships.

We have been on Radiance and Serenade. Balconies do not open on those ships. We saw on Freedom they did, but not on the Radiance Class.

CAPABLE................ willing .

I think the wisdom in your post can be summed up in these two words. I've only ever wanted to have the divider opened on one cruise out of 4. It's frequently said on these boards that its up to the captain, but personally I have a hard time imagining many Captains give a darn. I think its a lot of work for the cabin attendant so they just won't do it.

Past experience (and our photos) of Brilliance (Radiance class) and pictures I've seen of Serenade both confirm there is nothing able to be opened. No door to unlatch or partition that can be unbolted and removed. It is a solid wall pretty integral to the structure and railing. I suspect that with a fair bit of work they can be taken out but it would be a pretty big task and might affect the stability of the railing if too many in a row were removed. They are bolted to the railing in a couple places, to the ceiling above in at least two places and to the hull in a least two. Then there's the issue of where to put the darned things if they can be and are removed. For deck cleaning they probably stow in the cabin.

We have adjoining handicap cabins on the next cruise on Serenade and had thought about opening it up between them until I recalled Brilliance and did some exploring. Radiance class is indeed different.

Here are some pictures of Radiance pinched from some other threads.

RadianceHump.jpg

rad001-1.jpg

RadiancePortSide01.jpg

I'm sorry if this isn't particularly helpful because I don;t know if the balconies on RAdiance can be opened or not even though I've been on it's sister Serenda...I just never looked....BUT, if the dividers are capable of being opened it is a very simple latch mechanism on most ships and can be popped open with a butter knife.... just insert underneath the latch and lift....

Does anyone know about the Mariner of the Seas? We have 5 cabins booked side by side and I didn't realize that they could be joined together!

Yes, Balcony dividers do open on the Mariner.

They can be opened BUT most of the time is isn't allowed.

Wrona is correct. Yes, they can be opened, however the Captain of the Mariner will not allow them to be opened. The Captain has the final say.

###

Wrona is correct. Yes, they can be opened, however the Captain of the Mariner will not allow them to be opened. The Captain has the final say.

###

I don't care one way or another as I haven't had a need for them to be opened, by why does the captain care? Is it a safety issue? How does it impact him?

I know many talk about having them opened but to me that is awful. You lose any semblance of privacy. Why would you want others to be able to walk in front of your window?

We are sailing Oasis in connecting cabins with my kids... since we see it as basically just a bigger, two room cabin with an extra bathroom, we would love the divider to be open to get a balcony that is twice as long.

I know many talk about having them opened but to me that is awful. You lose any semblance of privacy. Why would you want others to be able to walk in front of your window?

We would have enjoyed sitting out on our balcony with them when my sister and her husband were in the next cabin. Curtains can be pulled and doors locked when necessary.

I'm sorry if this isn't particularly helpful because I don;t know if the balconies on RAdiance can be opened or not even though I've been on it's sister Serenda...I just never looked....BUT, if the dividers are capable of being opened it is a very simple latch mechanism on most ships and can be popped open with a butter knife.... just insert underneath the latch and lift....

Reason # 432 to be asked to leave the ship at the next port? ;) The last time I looked was on Navigator and they had a hex key kind of thing, and it looked heavy duty. I still have bad memories of when I worked for a company that downsized, I tried to steal a cubicle wall from an empty office to use in my office. Have you ever watched a video with a chain of dominoes falling? I don't want to see a news story about a cruise ship sank by passenger with butter knife removing barricade :eek:

We had 3 balcony cabins next to each other and the steward opened the dividing walls. It was nice and we enjoyed it. This time we don't have balcony cabins that are next to each other. We have one cabin in between. We wander back and forth all the time so we found it very convenient but one of the cabins had my Mom and sister in it and while they didn't say anything, I think they would have preferred to have their wall left intact. While there was some initial disappointment on our next cruise that they didn't/wouldn't remove the balcony wall, we got over our disappointment quickly...after all, we were on a cruise :D. I'm sure we will be just fine after the first few days when we accidentally knock on the door of the cabin in between ours :(. I know those folks will not be pleased, but we weren't happy either. Who would have thought that booking over a year out, we wouldn't be able to get the cabins we wanted next to each other????

In all my cruises - the only time the balcony was opened up to accomodate our friends was on the Star Princess. That was back in 2005. Things could be different now. I will never go back on Princess so I don't know.

Archived