UK Cruisers- How does tipping work on the cruiseline you sail with

Elizanessie

How does the cruiseline you sail with handle tipping...is it automatic?

One of the most talked about and often heated discussions on CC is Tipping...'do we don't we', 'should we shouldn't we'...'what if we aren't happy with the service'

How do you as a UK Cruiser feel about tipping?

To get the ball rolling..I will tell you how I feel about Tipping.

I tip when I want, who I want, how much I want.:D

If RCCL ever decided that we had to pay tips even if we didn't want to...well I think I would have to change which cruiseline I sail with.

Your thoughts on tipping please.

We use the guidelines offered by the shipping line- if it's pay up front, then so be it; if it's a suggested amount in an envelope, then ditto.

But I'm not sure we'll travel again on a line which demands 15% on drinks, with no choice in the matter. If a business can't be open and honest about the way their bar staff are paid, then we really don't wish to sail with them.

Jo.

Sail with Princess (never tried another line but thinking about giving P&O a go).

I always leave the autotips on. If I get exceptional service from a member of staff then I will give them something extra at the end of the cruise.

Have never had cause to even think about removing or reducing tips as you are not punishing the person who did not give you good service, you are punishing ALL the staff. So, if someone gave me not so good service they don't get any extra, but those who did, do.

Even though I'm a Scot, who also lived in Yorkshire for along time, I have no problem with the tipping process on Princess, in fact I prefer it to be automatic as it's one less thing to worry about at the end of the cruise.

A BIG Royal and Celebrity Fan and I use the pre-paid route before my cruise.

Will add the tips at final payment after checking the exchange rate is in my favour.......

Also give a extra tips to staff on board that have given great service, in $$cash.

:) We always have followed the recommended mostly cruised with NCL 12$ a day per person. This can be expensive on a long cruise and seems to have over the years gone from advisory to compulsory. 336$ on our last cruise on the Gem. However on talking to other passengers some do not pay it, not because they do not think the staff are worth it but they said they prefer to reward cabin crew and waiters. This seems unfair as all of the behind scenes crew would not be included and they work very hard. One particular couple dined nearly every night in speciality resteurants no doubt paid for by this saving. I think that you have to accept that it is part of the costs of the cruise but I think that the Cruise ships should make it part of the cost to prevent some people getting away with not paying. The 15% on drinks is of course and is supposed to be shared among the bar staff.

Agree with most posters - whatever is the "norm" is what we tend to do, with extras for extra service. As most cruiselines and cruisers originate across the pond, then it is to be expected that many practices reflect their preferences, and we have to sort of "fit in". Doesn't really worry us; it's just another pile of cash to be factored in to the whole holiday, along with parking the car, putting the cat into her holiday camp, paying for jabs if necessary and so on.

As a first timer I find this topic really interesting and really helpful!

I have no problem with the daily charge I view it as a service charge rather than a tip. I also have no problem with additional tipping for good service.

But... I really don't understand how our cousins across the pond seem to dish out 'tips' before any service has been provided. I know the staff aren't paid well that's why I plan to leave the auto tip on if the staff want a tip then I think they've got to provide a good service. I won't tip for bad service...

(Hope I don't sound mean...!)

I've only sailed with MSC up until now. They used to have a voluntary gratuity added each day (6 euros) and no service charge on drinks. I usually left the auto tip on and gave extra to my waiter, cabin steward and some of the bar staff. More recently they have made it a compulsory daily charge (now 7 euros) and introduced a 15% service charge on drinks. I don't mind about the 7 euros at all but the 15% does make the drinks very expensive especially as the pound-euro rate is diabolical at the moment.

I do wish tips wern't "necessary" and that they'd pay the crew more and i realise that would make cruise fares higher. The front line crew seem to work up to 14 hours per day, 7 days a week for 6-9 months with no days off. The base salaries across the industry seem low for the amount of work involved and I don't mind the tips because the crew relly do rely on them but I do wish they got a fair and decent salary for the work they do.

As a first timer I find this topic really interesting and really helpful!

I have no problem with the daily charge I view it as a service charge rather than a tip. I also have no problem with additional tipping for good service.

But... I really don't understand how our cousins across the pond seem to dish out 'tips' before any service has been provided. I know the staff aren't paid well that's why I plan to leave the auto tip on if the staff want a tip then I think they've got to provide a good service. I won't tip for bad service...

(Hope I don't sound mean...!)

No way mean, you are spot on.......:)

I agree with crazydizzymoo ,we tip the suggested amount and use the vouchers provided on the last night. We do feel the crew should get a decent wage and would prefer it if the tips were just reflected in the cost of the cruise.

The British managed ships either suggest or include tips....and sell bar products at pub prices, with no 15%, and yet the staff seem happy enough with their lot, suggesting that their wages are sufficient. This may mean that original prices may be higher than some American ships.

RCI decided to look into the whole issue in 2008, which now means that Indie sails from the UK without the 15% on drinks. They are obviously looking at other ways, now that Indy is here permanently.

Until this, and the original UK forums began questioning tipping, not many of us knew about the poor wages paid, or the lines' ways of relying on tips. As cruising continues to grow in Europe, there will be much more re-thinking from all lines.

Jo.

I am booked on Indy for next year and tips were automatically added to my total price. In fact on the TA's booking screen there was no way to turn off pre paid gratuities from my booking.

I am glad, after the expense of the cruise, I now have one less thing to pay out on the ship.

I agree with other posters that tipping should not be obligatory and that cruise staff should be paid a decent wage. In fact how expensive it is to sail on Indy I am surpirised that the staff are not paid fairly for a job well done!

Vickie

I am booked on Indy for next year and tips were automatically added to my total price. In fact on the TA's booking screen there was no way to turn off pre paid gratuities from my booking.

I am glad, after the expense of the cruise, I now have one less thing to pay out on the ship.

I agree with other posters that tipping should not be obligatory and that cruise staff should be paid a decent wage. In fact how expensive it is to sail on Indy I am surpirised that the staff are not paid fairly for a job well done!

Vickie

Are you doing MTD? If so, gratuities have to be applied at the time of booking. When we first booked, it was for traditional dining, I told the person at RCI I didn't want to pre pay the gratuities, that wasn't a problem then, we did the change to MTD and had to have thegratuities added to our bill. Either way, we havn't got a problem with the gratuities being charged automatically, we still tip extra to whoever earns/deserves it.:D

Last cruise was with Seabourn who say "Tips are neither required nor expected". Which seemed to be true, though we did give a couple out. Next cruise is Princess with auto tipping - and again we will give a few extra rewards for good service. After that we will be with Fred Olsen where they simply suggest a couple of quid per person per day for cabin and waiting staff. Seabourn cruises cost more in the first place, but I'd rather pay more and not have to worry about tipping. And all the drinks are free as well.

We sail wtih Regent and their policy is the same as Seabourn. No tips required nor expected. the only place I DO tip is in the Salon/Spa. But even there now, it is noted that service is included and since this is a hefty 20% there is absolutely no need to tip!

Some would say that Regent/Silversea/Seabourn etc cost a whole lot more than other companies. But when you actually add up all that is included in the up-front price (in the case of Regent: tips, port taxes, flights, all alcoholic drinks and wine as well as all other drinks; excursions etc) it doesn't seem to me that we are paying any more than on HAL or P&O etc. Especially when you take into account the fact that it is all-suite and almost all balconies!!

We always pre pay our gratuities when we pay our final balance, we don't think of it as a tip in the British sense, rather a service charge which is part of the overall cost of the cruise. I really wish they would just add it into the cruise pricing here in the UK and then everyone would have to pay it, I do get annoyed when we meet British people on the ship who have no intention of paying even though they are happy with their service.

If we've had great service(usually) we give extra cash at the end of the cruise to the staff member concerned, which is what we always consider the real tip.

Julie

Unashamedly a RCI cheerleader.

Always pre-pay tips.

One simple reason............. easy budgetting.

Less worry about finding money whilst I am away. Any money I have once I come away is mine therefore to disose of how I wish, rather than remembering to hold some back for tips.

Archived