Explorer of the seas? Good or bad?

sguywilson

Hi

Never cruised RCI before but hear good things about the line.

However, when I told my Aunt that I was thinking about going on the Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne NJ she said she had been on the ship and it sucked.

She said it was very dirty, was in dire need of an overhaul, and food was like eating cafeteria grade.

I was really excited but it was a concern being that by statistics I read it hasn't been refurbished in a while. I love going out of NYC cause there's no planes for me to deal with but with this new info I'm thinking about going out of Ft Lauderdale on the Celebrity Equinox.

What the heck should I do? I dont make a lot of money and only go on one cruise a year so i always want it to be a positive experience. Any opinions are welcomed.

Thanks

We've been on 5 Explorer cruises including one this September. The ship is not dirty - the crew works hard to maintain her and their efforts show. However, she is about 10 years old and does show some wear in places. She was in dry dock January 2010. As always the food is subjective. We always enjoy our meals. However, in addition to dinner we make an effort to eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR whenever possible. The Windjammer can be very busy and not a relaxing meal experience, but that would be true of the buffet area of any ship. Come to the East Coast Departures forum to get others' opinions.

I too have been on the Explorer a few times. Since I also live in NJ it's a huge convenience. The Explorer is a wonderful ship. I also try to eat in MDR in the afternoon because it can be crowded and you can feel rushed to get up. Plus I tend to overeat at the buffet! The shows are good, the ice shows are good, staff is wonderful, ship is clean and hard working staff maintain it vigilantly. Portofinos is a very good specialty restaurant. I guess I could go on and on about the Explorer but it certainly doesn't agree with your aunt's view.

Haven't been on the Explorer but have been on several RCI cruises and have always been pleased. Even their older ships are well maintained and the crew is always wonderful. We have sailed out of the NY area and felt that worked well. If you are local, I would definitely take advantage of that.

Have fun!

Hi

However, when I told my Aunt that I was thinking about going on the Explorer of the Seas out of Bayonne NJ she said she had been on the ship and it sucked.

She said it was very dirty, was in dire need of an overhaul, and food was like eating cafeteria grade.

I was really excited but it was a concern being that by statistics I read it hasn't been refurbished in a while. I love going out of NYC cause there's no planes for me to deal with but with this new info I'm thinking about going out of Ft Lauderdale on the Celebrity Equinox.

What the heck should I do? I dont make a lot of money and only go on one cruise a year so i always want it to be a positive experience. Any opinions are welcomed.

Thanks

Was on the 9 day cruise a year ago.

Doing it again in June.

Had a fabulous time, thought the ship was exceptionally good in every aspect.

BTW, there were 24 of us, and it looks like most are doing it again.

I've sailed twice on her, once was our wedding cruise =) My mom and other family has done 3 cruises on her. Not a single complaint. All 20 people who traveled on our wedding cruise loved every minute of it, even those that never cruised before.

Don't hesitate to book on this ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks

NOOOOOOOOO! it is a great ship with a great crew and staff! It is not dirty. The food is VERY good and accessible and you will love it! Just don't bring the aunt! ;)

We, DW DS & I, first sailed Explorer in May of 2010.We were so impressed we booked for Sept 11, 2010 and our son is currently in the middle of a B2B on Explorer as we speak. We LOVE this ship. As Carol (138east) said she (Explorer not Carol she's 22) just turned 10 today but she is one of the best looking girls at the dance. Her crew is about the best I have sailed with, one of the reasons we love her, and that starts at the top down.

Sail Explorer of the Seas, enjoy her and her food. You too will fall in love.

Archived