How far out to purchase flight to Barcelona?

annimal

Unfortunately the fares have not dropped in the last several weeks. Still checking almost daily but most "sales" are for fall and/or winter travel, so I think we'll probably have to wait closer to the end of the year (or longer) to hopefully see some spring specials.

I don't necessarily mind getting creative with our flights (i.e. one airline to Europe and another line into Barcelona), but I am traveling (and heading) a group of 10 which includes my almost 3 year old son. I get a bit worried about trying to make the connections and foolproof baggage errors (missing bags) with so many people, especially when flying on multiple carriers on individual reservations... At least if we flew on one carrier, I think we have a better chance of our bags getting to the final destination.

Thanks for the tip on the cruise air board. Will check that out!

Unfortunately the fares have not dropped in the last several weeks. Still checking almost daily but most "sales" are for fall and/or winter travel, so I think we'll probably have to wait closer to the end of the year (or longer) to hopefully see some spring specials.

I don't necessarily mind getting creative with our flights (i.e. one airline to Europe and another line into Barcelona), but I am traveling (and heading) a group of 10 which includes my almost 3 year old son. I get a bit worried about trying to make the connections and foolproof baggage errors (missing bags) with so many people, especially when flying on multiple carriers on individual reservations... At least if we flew on one carrier, I think we have a better chance of our bags getting to the final destination.

Thanks for the tip on the cruise air board. Will check that out!

I think you are right in trying to keep it less complicated. Most of the lost luggage/delayed flight/missed-cruise horror stories are a result of plane changes in crowded, confusing airports. Last year we flew TAP Air Portugal from Newark to Porto, Portugal with a plane change to Barcelona because TAP is in the Star Alliance and was giving a great deal on frequent flier miles. (ashamed to admit I never heard of Porto - Portugal's second largest city before this.) Great flights, great service. Our family of 4 was clearly in the minority of Portugese-heritage passengers but it was a good introduction to traveling in Europe. TAP also flies to Barcelona through Lisbon.

And of course, I hope you are planning to arrive the day before embarkation. If you are delayed or your luggage is lost, you have time to catch up before you have to board the ship.

Have a great time.

• 2 months later...

I have be watching the fares for Boston to Barcelona since I booked the cruise; Epic Med June 12th 2011, I booked in July 2010.

I saw Aer Lingus for $880 round trip with stops in Dubin, so I booked them. The layovers are on the long side, but its Dubin and I am Irish so.......

For those of you traveling in May I just looked at flights from the west coast to Barcelona and they are now down in the $800-900s. It is now at the 4month out mark and as I mentioned somewhere earlier good flight prices are often found one season before travel. Soo waiting to book might have saved some folks some money.

I am leaving on a TA out of Barcelona, on Nov 27th. I just booked my flight. It was $714.00 taxes in!

We have done two other TA's from barcelona...and this is the cheapest ticket that we have seen...even for this time of year!

I think it is just good to keep checking.

Of COURSE I'd grab a $714 ticket any time of year!

Only my one $515 ticket for 2 Septembers ago was a better price but I was referring to some folks that grabbed up tix that were over $1,000(closer to $1,200) months ago. I just didn't think they were worth grabbing such a long time out.

Archived