RCL or NCL?

palomino2424

We are a family of 2 adults aged 40 plus and 2 daughters aged 12 and 14 - what would you recommend be the best cruise line for us? Royal Caribbean or NCL? Also I was wondering why cruises out of New York for 7 days to Caribbean are half the price of those that leave from Ft Lauderdale?

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

I always content there are no bad cruises, only some better than others. We prefer RCI over NCL but have sailed NCL many times because they tend offer some real bargains. For the same money (or close) we would always select RCI. We just feel everything is a little better (service, friendliness of crew, food, entertainment, etc.). We also enjoy traditional dining (no longer an option with NCL) where you really get to know your waiter and feel more pampered. We have been quite successful at normally getting a table just for our group. If we have to sit with strangers, we go for anytime dining (freestyle on NCL). It just works better for us.

Most people seem to prefer sailing out of Florida for the Caribbean because you have the warmer weather instantly. Don't know if that explains the price difference. If I lived in the NE and was sailing at a time that snow wasn't an issue, I would definitely not fly to Florida. We have sailed from both location and enjoyed both.

Thanks Goatgoat - We have sailed twice with RCL and loved it so much but the only cruise out of NYC for the dates we can do is with NCL and some people I know have made negative comments about NCL so am rather concerned about booking it - that said if we flew to Ft Lauderdale and sailed with RCL the cost is double in price, as I said before :confused: - $3,000 from NYC and $6,300 from Ft Lauderdale.

Based on the fare alone, I would go with NCL. I love RCL and only like NCL, but, for $3000, I could go twice and I would love that. As goatgoat said, there are no bad cruises.

I am sure a major difference in cost is the airfare.

NCL is a little less formal. The kids program may not be as nice as RCL. RCL's food is better. NCL's shows are a little racier (costumes)and they also offer a circus de soleil style.

Because of the way the dining is on NCL it is possible to eat your salad in one restaurant at 5, your soup in another restaurant at 6, your entre in a different restaurant at 7 and have dessert in another restaurant at 9.

I love the 24 hour "snack" restaurant on NCL ships better than the one's on RCL. I don't know which ship is out of NY, so, I don't know if they have the same set up. The Dawn class has a Blue Lagoon(?) I think on the promenade deck and I think most of the ships in that class have something similar.

I would not go on another NCL cruise no matter what the price!

I thought the food was horrible unless you ate in their specialty paid restaurants!!

I'd just plan a different sort of vacation for those days. There are lots of other things you could do.

I've never cruised on NCL, but Royal Caribbean consistently wins awards for being the best cruise line for kids. Their ships have a lot of things your teens would enjoy. I'd opt for RCL given your passenger demographics.

I used to sail Carnival. It was the least expensive and once I'd started with them and enjoyed it, I just stayed with them. Then I took a cruise on Royal Caribbean and have never looked back.

I don't think you can choose JUST because of price. If I could get a really good deal on Carnival, I'd absolutely sail with them again. But I can generally do nearly as well on Royal Caribbean and feel I get a better (or at least, better for ME) product.

You're doing the right thing to ask around. Don't be swayed by price alone.

I'm surprised you're finding LESS expensive prices out of New York. I live in Connecticut and have generally found prices to be higher out of the northeast. Since this area houses a major population of cruise passengers who might not have to fly from New Jersey or Baltimore, the cruises generally sell at a premium. If cruises are costing more out of Florida, it may be that you're hitting significantly more ports of call. Each port charges a head tax to stop there. More ports, more port taxes.

We are a family of 2 adults aged 40 plus and 2 daughters aged 12 and 14 - what would you recommend be the best cruise line for us? Royal Caribbean or NCL? Also I was wondering why cruises out of New York for 7 days to Caribbean are half the price of those that leave from Ft Lauderdale?

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated.

My very 1st cruise was on NCL, which got me hooked. Yes, hooked enough to try other lines. My choice would be RCCL which leaves out of Bayonne. NJ.(a hop, skip, and a jump from NY...really just outside of the city).

I agree that NCL has some rock bottom pricing compared to RCI, especially now, and going out of NY. The non-traditional dining, seems likes its a really big deal with the reservations, and this is just too much to be concerned with on vacation. I just want to decide at the moment to go to the MDR, WJ or Cafe Promenade, or wait til later and go to the room and order from room service.

I agree that NCL has some rock bottom pricing compared to RCI, especially now, and going out of NY. The non-traditional dining, seems likes its a really big deal with the reservations, and this is just too much to be concerned with on vacation. I just want to decide at the moment to go to the MDR, WJ or Cafe Promenade, or wait til later and go to the room and order from room service.

I don't understand your comment. You don't need reservations on NCL for the main dining rooms or buffet. You eat at whatever time you want. Often you don't need reservations for the specialty restaurants either, with the exception of the Teppanyaki Japanese restaurant, which has very limited seating.

They put RCL above NCL...but they have cruised NCL since RCL!

For them it is about price, ports, etc.

For the price, this is a no-brainer.

Midrange cruise-lines such as these are more alike than different.

I have sailed on both cruiselines. We have a 14 year old son. Royal Caribbean has better kids/teen programs. They also had better pre-teen & teen hangout rooms and teen only area's. So for the kids I would say Royal Caribbean.

Then for the price and convenience I'd try going with NCL. The only way you'll find out is by booking and trying it. Everyone has their own personal choice and opiinion. For half the price It'd be worth for me trying NCL out of NY especially in this economy. Enjoy ur cruise and goodluck with your decision!

Thanks Goatgoat - We have sailed twice with RCL and loved it so much but the only cruise out of NYC for the dates we can do is with NCL and some people I know have made negative comments about NCL so am rather concerned about booking it - that said if we flew to Ft Lauderdale and sailed with RCL the cost is double in price, as I said before :confused: - $3,000 from NYC and $6,300 from Ft Lauderdale.

Archived