Need FAQ>>?>Opinions vs "Facts">> and finding real info here

sharecruises

Hi..

there is a lot of good info here and also some fun threads to pass the time between cruises

however...I find that sometimes "real" info is hard to come by

repeated requests for "fun times" or specifics about a particular ship

bring little results

but....when it comes to OPINIONS every one has them (myself included haha)

One thing I do marvel at : people who come here with really "important" questions...like bout birth certs, passports, etc....and get a raft of "wrong" answers or half wrong or misleading answers

I also am puzzled when people ask questions here about their own "personal" situation...like matters of the heart, family problems, how on earth can people on a message board "solve" those problems and why on earth would you take "our" advice??

I find it scary when people ask here if a disabled/sickly family member or friend should cruise....It also puzzles me when people ask the advice of strangers about "should I cruise when so and so is sick, etc"???

On the other hand some people ask a simple question..ie, "what is Friends of Dorothy?" and what could have been answered (and was) answered goes on for pages and pages LOL

Like wise when some one comes on and says "can I take my non potty trained baby in the pools"?? the answer is simple....NO....but it will run for pages

I think some people ask questions with an ulterior motive <grin>

Other posts that are NOT a matter of opinion are turned into opinion...ie, about handicapped parking in Tampa where someone grandly states that all of Florida is subject to the same laws...when in fact Dade/Miami have their own law and parking for all with a handicapped hanger or tag is free

Very misleadiing

what is your favorite drink, comic, piano player, show, port, ship...all good for opinions

but when it comes to "facts" some people should check their facts before they spout off cause it gets very confusing, and people could get wrong answers

I personally know little to nothing about camp Carnival, which balcony room to book, aft balcony, ports or cities outside of florida, beer, gambling, latin music and dancing, early saver, scuba diving, so I keep my trap shut on them

stuff I know or use I post my opinion and stuff I "know" about I try to post facts

some things are subjective ....even if a cruise/ship or cruiseline is "good" or bad

but some things are simply facts...like early saver rules, and passport/bc rules and people should ONLY post about them IF they are sure

PS...I would also love to see some "faq" files...with stuff like the fun times

there is a very good thread on here from Mach that lists the current shows on all the ships...now that is "facts"

the problem here is that when someone might ask what show is on what ship someone will pipe in with what show they saw 3 years ago when Destiny sailed from San Juan or what show they saw 2 years ago or whatever

the "list" was good...real info, facts..and useful

I wish we had an "faq" or "fact" thread, free of opinions and old and/outdated info

(and yes some of this is my "opinion" but some is "facts" thanks)

:D:eek::D

It is my opinion that the vast majority of information put out here as fact is nothing more than opinion. A lot of that seems to be based on nothing but hear say and internet rumors with personal experience not a requirement to voice said opinion. If nothing else it can make reading threads here very entertaining some times.

One thing I do marvel at : people who come here with really "important" questions...like bout birth certs, passports, etc....and get a raft of "wrong" answers or half wrong or misleading answers

Like wise when some one comes on and says "can I take my non potty trained baby in the pools"?? the answer is simple....NO....but it will run for pages

for opinions

but when it comes to "facts" some people should check their facts before they spout off cause it gets very confusing, and people could get wrong answers

or bad

but some things are simply facts...like early saver rules, and passport/bc rules and people should ONLY post about them IF they are sure

Good post:)

About the BC post, I think for the most part its just different peoples experiences, i for one have never had to use my marriage cert and have different last names on all my docs, even when i got my passport i didnt have to sent it. I have asked Carnival it its needed they say "No" , my passport office said "No" so i dont. other people ask and they say "yes"

so not wrong info. just someone elses different experiences.

E-Saver.. depends on who you talk to at Carnival, yes they website contract states the facts but people are telling their personal expreiences on this also.

Oh and there are those who DO just want to start a debate, i try & stay clear of those, it just gets me mad!

We will always have someone pop up and say..."but its my toddlers vacations too! they care nothing about anyone else but themselves.

Oh the joys of chat sites:)

Not sure what you're doing on a internet posting board if you're looking for 'just the facts'. You'll get allot of good info, some bad info, and a ton of opinion here. If that's not what you're looking for, just call carnival directly and they will tell you 'how many square feet the balcony is' 'what time the MDR opens for lunch' etc.......

If I had just one fact that people repeatedly post as if they know the answer, its can you book very last minute, up to the day of the cruise.

Never fails someone posts the rumor about ships need to give the manifest with all the names 48 hours, 36 hours (take your pick of rumors), so no one can book after that.

Absoultely not true, but even if someone posts the truth, yes you can book last minute, someone will pipe up with the misinformation that "they heard from someone" that you cant.

Thats the only one that bugs me.

What do you do if the "written facts" in Carnival's FAQ and WHTI Regulations say one thing and the Carnival Rep (without being able to back himself up with links to Carnival FAQ or Governmental Regulations) and other Cruiser's personal experience (not their opinions but their actual experiences) say something else? What are the true "facts" then? How do you get to what the true "facts" are? That's what I've been trying to do on the marriage license thread without much success. Everyone has a different interpretation and experience. How do you sort out what is the "facts" then?

What do you do if the "written facts" in Carnival's FAQ and WHTI Regulations say one thing and the Carnival Rep (without being able to back himself up with links to Carnival FAQ or Governmental Regulations) and other Cruiser's personal experience (not their opinions but their actual experiences) say something else? What are the true "facts" then? How do you get to what the true "facts" are? That's what I've been trying to do on the marriage license thread without much success. Everyone has a different interpretation and experience. How do you sort out what is the "facts" then?

Easy. If your do as THEY say when you board THEIR ship, you should have NO problem.

Easy. If your do as THEY say when you board THEIR ship, you should have NO problem.

But what if you don't know what they say, only what they write. What if you are Jane Doe, on the street who doesn't read cruise critic, and has only read the Carnival FAQ and the WHTI rules and thinks she has what is necessary to board but finds out when she gets there that they want something else?

But what if you don't know what they say, only what they write. What if you are Jane Doe, on the street who doesn't read cruise critic, and has only read the Carnival FAQ and the WHTI rules and thinks she has what is necessary to board but finds out when she gets there that they want something else?

I cruised the day after my wedding, 7 years before Cruise Critic even existed, and followed what Carnival outlined that I needed to do. My "WELCOME ABOARD" packet had it all.

I dont understand why its such a big deal. If you feel its even a little questionable ... spend the 10 cents and make a copy of your marriage cert and bring it. .. end of discussion. It takes up hardly any space in your packing, so I cant figure out why the endless discussion. I guess we each have different subjects that sticks in our craw.

Easy. You bring everything you *think* you *might* need and let the person at the port ask to see it or not.

It's not like you're lugging the family Bible with you. You're talking about replacable paper documents.

I cruised the day after my wedding, 7 years before Cruise Critic even existed, and followed what Carnival outlined that I needed to do. My "WELCOME ABOARD" packet had it all.

OK. Then you show me where the Carnival FAQ or the Governmental Regulations say a Marriage Certificate is required if you are a married woman sailing under her husband's surname with her DL and Boarding name the same and BC in maiden name. I can't find it. The Carnival Rep can't find, and yet he insists it is required and some cruisers in these circumstances have been stopped and asked to show it. How are they supposed to know it is required if it is not written anywhere?

OK. Then you show me where the Carnival FAQ or the Governmental Regulations say a Marriage Certificate is required if you are a married woman sailing under her husband's surname with her DL and Boarding name the same and BC in maiden name. I can't find it. The Carnival Rep can't find, and yet he insists it is required and some cruisers in these circumstances have been stopped and asked to show it. How are they supposed to know it is required if it is not written anywhere?

Nope. Not my job.

Be it me, I would just bring it. If I couldn't find it, I would contact the church where I got married and get another.

BTW, we never had to show it.

Easy. You bring everything you *think* you *might* need and let the person at the port ask to see it or not.

It's not like you're lugging the family Bible with you. You're talking about replacable paper documents.

But why would Jane Doe on the street even think she might need it if there is nothing in the Carnival FAQ's or the Governmental Regulations stating she does? I'm not talking about myself here. I'll bring my ML just in case. I don't think it is required but who knows lately. My question is for all the women who wouldn't have a clue it was required based on the Carnival FAQ's and the Governmental Regulations. How would they know to bring it just in case?

But why would Jane Doe on the street even think she might need it if there is nothing in the Carnival FAQ's or the Governmental Regulations stating she does? I'm not talking about myself here. I'll bring my ML just in case. I don't think it is required but who knows lately. My question is for all the women who wouldn't have a clue it was required based on the Carnival FAQ's and the Governmental Regulations. How would they know to bring it just in case?

Why wouldn't you? I mean, you know you were married and it changed your name between your birth cert and the name that's on your DL, right? So there has to be some sort of bridge document to prove you're the same person despite the name change, right? Like a marriage license? This is the thought process I used the first time I went to Canada and we were lucky we did it, because the boarder agent actually demanded the marriage licenses of my sister and my friend. In his words, if all the names don't agree you have to prove why. For example, Jane Doe might be Jane Doe on her license, but if she's Jane Smith on her birth cert, she's not Jane Doe.

See, this is what happens when people rely too much on the letter of the rules and not the spirit of them. I know what you're saying, and that the way things are written it's clear as mud.

If the name on my documents did not match the name on my identification, Id bring it.

Still not sure why this is even a issue. .. I sure would think of it if my name did not match, so saying people wouldnt think of it, ... many would imo... its common sense.

If the name on my documents did not match the name on my identification, Id bring it.

Still not sure why this is even a issue. .. I sure would think of it if my name did not match, so saying people wouldnt think of it, ... many would imo... its common sense.

Problem is, many people don't have much of ....YOUR LAST TWO WORDS...

Well some stuff is not listed at Carnival.com

I found the "list" of shows on the various ships very helpful

I have asked, and asked...what show is on xyz ship only to get replies from a couple years ago or people talking about other ships

some stuff should be put into a cc "faq" I do think

one thing : the search feature is not easy to use

some helpful posts get "lost"

I find both the FACTS and the OPINIONS equally helpful. I especially rely on opinions when researching, say a tour operator, or a particular attraction/activity. If most of the opinions come back favorable, I know I'm on the right track and I feel comfortable with my choices. So far, CC opinions have never let me down.

I didn't think of it.. I wasn't asked for it on my last 4 cruises. But I'm glad I found this board (wish I had before the last 4). But now it's packed.

I think facts are good. But experiences are probably better. Even if only one person reports the experience, then you know it is possible. And you can be prepared for the same.

I think the reviews of other peoples experiences is what has me hooked here! This is such a great place to learn.

Popcorn anyone?

This one is getting old.

A FAQ would be nice however many will not take the time to read it! It amazes me at how many here post to a thread and it is obvious they did not bother to actually read the whole thread - just the OP - and then go on to provide the fifth or sixth identical response!

Archived