Ignorance hurts...

LiveLoveCruise

But, learning a lesson is grand!

I didn't realize that Carnival owned Costa...

So, it wasn't until a week before my trip that I found out I was eligible for the past guest discount.

It's well after final payment and I used "early saver" to get an onboard credit of $120. But, I was wondering... If I don't use that money onboard can I cash it out later? Or perhaps, use it for tips?

Past guest is almost always a higher rate than early saver ..did you see a lower price. If you are booked ES you can price match to any rate now you qualify for. You probably didnt want to book past guest instead anyway.

PS yes you can use any OBC for any thing on your S&S account, even tips. You could also get it back as that is refundable OBC. Im assuming the $120 was from a price drop though.

But, learning a lesson is grand!

I didn't realize that Carnival owned Costa...

So, it wasn't until a week before my trip that I found out I was eligible for the past guest discount.

It's well after final payment and I used "early saver" to get an onboard credit of $120. But, I was wondering... If I don't use that money onboard can I cash it out later? Or perhaps, use it for tips?

You can definitely use it for tips, or any other on board expense. I am not sure if you get it in the form of a check at the end of the cruise if you don't use it during the cruise. I know we always get a check back at the end because we put extra cash on our s and s. I think obc has to be used on the cruise.

I'm not sure if it was a pricedrop or not. I was speaking to a rep. and they casually mentioned that Carnival own Costa. I had booked through early saver months ago. When I told her that I sailed Costa, she said that I should receive a free upgrade. I had already paid for an upgrade... so they gave me an OBC. Unexpected monies!!!

Past guest is almost always a higher rate than early saver ..did you see a lower price. If you are booked ES you can price match to any rate now you qualify for. You probably didnt want to book past guest instead anyway.

PS yes you can use any OBC for any thing on your S&S account, even tips. You could also get it back as that is refundable OBC. Im assuming the $120 was from a price drop though.

I didn't realize that past guests are higher. So when I book Early Saver I need to make sure that I do not check off the past guest box, right?

If the same type of cabin (8N) is available, one deck below mine, and the price is cheaper, can I take advantage of the early saver price guarantee?

I didn't realize that past guests are higher. So when I book Early Saver I need to make sure that I do not check off the past guest box, right?

No check them all, one might drop lower, or a sale with OBC (subtract the OBC from the price and see if its a match).

I finally price matched to a senior rate right before my last cruise. I had long since given up since my category had been sold out when everyone else got prices drops around final payment.

Any rate you find lower for your exact category, you can now price match to. So, keep looking. ES will dissapear, so then you need to watch all rates, even more.

I'm not sure if it was a pricedrop or not. I was speaking to a rep. and they casually mentioned that Carnival own Costa. I had booked through early saver months ago. When I told her that I sailed Costa, she said that I should receive a free upgrade. I had already paid for an upgrade... so they gave me an OBC. Unexpected monies!!!

Very odd, must have been some better prices showing to just give you that. They dont just let past guests call up and get automatic upgrades, so there is more to this than the rep mentioned.

ES you can price match to any rate, its the best rate .. unless you need to change, then ...sorry.

No check them all, one might drop lower, or a sale with OBC (subtract the OBC from the price and see if its a match).

I finally price matched to a senior rate right before my last cruise. I had long since given up since my category had been sold out when everyone else got prices drops around final payment.

Any rate you find lower for your exact category, you can now price match to. So, keep looking. ES will dissapear, so then you need to watch all rates, even more.

Thanks for explaining this. I'll have to print this out and save it so I don't forget.

I didn't know that Past Guest get free upgrades! :eek: We also paid for an upgrade from Cat. 8B to 8D. However, since then, we have received 3 price drops for booking ES. :)

I didn't know that Past Guest get free upgrades! :eek: We also paid for an upgrade from Cat. 8B to 8D. However, since then, we have received 3 price drops for booking ES. :)

The past guest rate usually comes at a higher price with free upgrades. If your price happens to match, say you are in a 4E, and there is a past guest rate $20 pp less than you paid for a 4A , with a free upgrade that includes 4E, you could get the $20 pp.

I think there was more to the upgrade that we dont know.

Archived