Offer from Oceania to change our cruise

VIRGINIA ARTIE

Mmm...we have been thinking about an Oceania cruise next year. Normally we book pretty late, but we saw an itinerary on Oceania we liked. Hearing all these overbooking stories has made me rethink. We have our own business, and the decision when to go on holiday has to be taken very early in the year and cannot be changed. I would be distraught if we were to be involuntarily bumped. I understand real mass-market cruiselines overbook, but I never had expected that from lines that are supposed to be a step up.

Not to worry about being involuntarily bumped off your O cruise. FDR has written: " No one has ever been, nor will anyone ever be, bumbed off from their booked cruise!!

Simple economics prevail.

At some offer,someone will agree to give up their cabin."

I would really disappointed if the leaves were all down by the second cruise. I wouldn't switch from the earlier cruise for such a small amount.

They may be down by the first cruise so I would not plan a cruise for that reason alone.

If you really want to see the fall colours do a land trip.

Lyn

We got that offer, too, and turned it down. I looked around to see why it was so heavily booked, and it appears that many university alumni groups have it booked...a variety of universities.

How did you find that out about the groups?

OceansandRivers,

I am a little concerned about the fact that there are some alumni groups on board our cruise. We had that happen on our Panama Canal cruise and they seemed to travel in groups and reserve a lot of space in the public rooms. If the whole group decided to dine at the same, it could mean a wait in the GDR. One good thing, I remember hearing from the spa management that it seemed less spa appointments were booked do to group activities, making it easier for me to book the time I wanted or for a last minute treatment. Also,l I have not been asked to change my cruise or suite.

I am a little concerned about the fact that there are some alumni groups on board our cruise. We had that happen on our Panama Canal cruise and they seemed to travel in groups and reserve a lot of space in the public rooms. If the whole group decided to dine at the same, it could mean a wait in the GDR. One good thing, I remember hearing from the spa management that it seemed less spa appointments were booked do to group activities, making it easier for me to book the time I wanted or for a last minute treatment. Also,l I have not been asked to change my cruise or suite.

I am sorry to hear that you had that experience. Generally, I am very opposed to very large, cohesive groups onboard who use up public space and dine together as a group, such as an infamous bridge group that usually books Crystal cruises, but as I have seen the Canada/New England cruise listed at many separate alumni group sites (University of Washington, Iowa, and numerous others), my thought was that while there would be smaller groups who knew each other, there would not be one massive, self-entitled group.

I like academics (was one) and thought they would be super to have onboard as fellow passengers, but if any of the groups is large or if the many smaller groups come together as one, then that could be a problem.

I wonder why you were not contacted.

How did you find that out about the groups?

I Google rather well. :)

All you have to do is to enter search terms that pertain to groups (some keywords might be "join" "group amenities" or if I suspect one type of group maybe "CME" "alumni travel" "bridge" "financial" etc.) together with the name of the ship and or cruise line and or date and if something is there, it will ultimately become visible.

I suspected alumni groups from the beginning for two reasons: 1.) Oceania has at least in the past tended to attract an older clientele who have time to take longer cruises (well, it's true) and although one need not be older to go on an alumni cruise, older academicians often cruise on smaller vessels (and very often river cruises, by the way) 2) the smaller "R" ships do not have the type of facilities that would ordinarily appeal to certain other groups that are typically found on significantly larger ships (Thank goodness).

Also,l I have not been asked to change my cruise or suite.

They may not require your cabin Cat to fill a wait list for someone

They will not ask everyone on the ship only the cabin CAT needed

Lyn

I Google rather well. :)

All you have to do is to enter search terms that pertain to groups (some keywords might be "join" "group amenities" or if I suspect one type of group maybe "CME" "alumni travel" "bridge" "financial" etc.) together with the name of the ship and or cruise line and or date and if something is there, it will ultimately become visible.

Thanks I did try GROUPS before but not any specific designation.

We have had Alumni groups on previous O cruises but they did not really cause any disruptions ...once they had a private gathering in the lounge & Horizons & they were closed for a few hours to the general populace

Lyn

Thanks I did try GROUPS before but not any specific designation.

We have had Alumni groups on previous O cruises but they did not really cause any disruptions ...once they had a private gathering in the lounge & Horizons & they were closed for a few hours to the general populace

Lyn

Glad I could help, but I have to say that I would not like to see entire lounges closed just so groups can sit together. I would expect to be able to still enter the room and order a drink and sit out of their way. Has it ever happened that specialty dining rooms have been given over to groups?

There is no way we would change to the reverse itinerary, especially because it is later in the season. I just read a post that someone made in the Crystal forum (live from Montreal), and it it is just above freezing there. Brrrrrr....

In fact, we would prefer to cruise weeks earlier in September, even if it means that our "leaf peeping" would be on a post-cruise road trip.

We just received an offer from Oceania to change our cruise itinerary from the Caribbean to Alaska. We refused. Didn't want to sail somewhere cold.

Has anyone else received an offer?

If the offer to cruise Alaska were for midsummer or June, I would jump at it, and it's not because I live on the West Coast. The scenery is gorgeous, it's all around you throughout much of the trip, and it can be downright hot sometimes. We had very hot weather (swimsuit and shorts weather) one summer in early August in several Alaskan ports.

Alaska is usually priced higher than the Caribbean. Which Alaska voyage were you offered?

In fact, we would prefer to cruise weeks earlier in September, even if it means that our "leaf peeping" would be on a post-cruise road trip.

FWIW,

Seabourn Sojourn has a cruise from Quebec City to NYC from Sept 21 to Sept 30th. The itinerary is not as good though.

Are you tempted?

FWIW,

Seabourn Sojourn has a cruise from Quebec City to NYC from Sept 21 to Sept 30th. The itinerary is not as good though.

Are you tempted?

1. I want to escape smoke, not jump into the haze.

2. I would prefer departing from New York City.

3. Would you subsidize the undoubtedly higher fare? ;):)

(If it were not for the smoke, and the cost, and probably fancy duds required, arriving in New York City on September 30th would actually be rather cool....to disembark the other ship and then to board the Regatta.)

1. (If it were not for the smoke, and the cost, and probably fancy duds required, arriving in New York City on September 30th would actually be rather cool....to disembark the other ship and then to board the Regatta.)

We are actually tempted b/o of the B2B idea.

Have been wanting to try Seabourn at some point - this just may be the perfect time (for us) - especially on this brand new ship. Seabourn is getting less formal on short cruises.

Smoke is a different issue, although we have not been bothered by it on other cruiselines with more liberal smoking policies than Oceania. Maybe we were just lucky?

We'll see.

We are actually tempted b/o of the B2B idea.

Have been wanting to try Seabourn at some point - this just may be the perfect time (for us) - especially on this brand new ship. Seabourn is getting less formal on short cruises.

Smoke is a different issue, although we have not been bothered by it on other cruiselines with more liberal smoking policies than Oceania. Maybe we were just lucky?

We'll see.

Hmmm. Well, I just took a quick look at the cruise you mentioned , and the embarkation at Quebec City as opposed to Montreal is indeed interesting, and that it leads in directly to the Regatta's sailing is even more interesting, but I have another combo in mind and the smoking issue of Seabourn is of prime concern to us. Plus, we need significant "road trip" time, too, for the real leaf-peeping.

Did you notice that the Sojourn might dock at Brooklyn instead of Manhattan at the end of the cruise?

Did you notice that the Sojourn might dock at Brooklyn instead of Manhattan at the end of the cruise?

I did notice that. If it does dock in Brooklyn, we'll take a cab.

Even if it docked in Manhattan, we couldn't walk off the Sojourn straight onto Regatta anyway, so it won't be a deal breaker.

The price, OTOH, may be :D

We are in Newport, on the Crown Princess. We embarked in Quebec on October 17 and the itinerary is Sagaway, Halifax, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport, New York, Norfolk, Charleston, and disembarking in Ft Lauderdale. The leaves are in full changing mode in Quebec, Halifax, and Bar Harbor and are just beginning to change in Boston and. Newport. This year, the later sailings were better for the leaf colors. On the other hand, my Florida blood is quite chilled with temperatures in the low 50s. We are wearing the parkas we bought for Antarctica a few years ago. As long as we stay rain free, I am happy.

If you really want to see the fall colours do a land trip.

Lyn

Or just stay home and look out the window :) I took these photos yesterday afternoon from my bedroom. It was pouring rain but the sun came out briefly and intensified the colours agains the grey sky. I missed that moment on camera. :(

fallcoloursfrombackwindow.jpg

burningbushcropped.jpg

Or just stay home and look out the window :) I took these photos yesterday afternoon from my bedroom. It was pouring rain but the sun came out briefly and intensified the colours agains the grey sky. I missed that moment on camera. :(

Beautiful photos

Ours are pretty much done here :(

Lyn

We just received another offer from Oceania via our TA to upgrade to a PH from our current A1. The price per person was still too high. Maybe the offer will get better as we get closer to the sailing date.

Don

May we ask?

We lost a lot of leaves in the rain yesterday but the colours are still beautiful. By next week the trees will be bare. :(

We just received another offer from Oceania via our TA to upgrade to a PH from our current A1. The price per person was still too high. Maybe the offer will get better as we get closer to the sailing date.

Don

Or someone else might bite at the offer.

The price per person was still too high. Maybe the offer will get better as we get closer to the sailing date.

Don

It may not be too high for someone ;)

At least you have the cabin you booked so you will not be disappointed

Lyn

I just want a cabin number for the 1/22/11 sailing on the Marina! Yes, I have a "Guarantee" for an outside cabin but so do a lot of other people. It will be interesting to see who gets offered what on our sold out sailing.

Marion

I just want a cabin number for the 1/22/11 sailing on the Marina! Yes, I have a "Guarantee" for an outside cabin but so do a lot of other people. It will be interesting to see who gets offered what on our sold out sailing.

Marion

Sounds like they are trying to move people with offers so you can have a cabin # ;)

Still time but at least you are on the ship

Lyn

P.S. The daybeds in the Patio area are quite comfy ;) :D

Archived