Help me decide what line

wildwanderer

My husband and I had one cruise last year right after I found out I was pregnant and we loved it, we relaxed and enjoyed doing absolutely nothing it was great. We would like to do another cruise next November/December and I can't figure out which is better do the same route on Carnival that we did Progeso/Cozumel 5 day (this would be on the Ecstasy we were on the Triumph), do a 7 day on the Conquest to Belize/Jamaica/Cozumel or try the Norwegian Spirit for 7 days. I need to know what you all think because this time I will have my child who will be 18 months old with us. Which line do you like best? Do you think we should go with the route we know so having the child will sort of be the only change? or do we risk it and try to do a whole new ship/route/carrier? My husband and I realize we will probably just try to find the coolest beach and relax at each port except one where he will Scuba and I will probably stay on board with the little one. What would you do or have you done? Thanks for your advice in advance - Thea

Do you think we should go with the route we know so having the child will sort of be the only change?

And a big change it will be!

I am not factoring in my personal feelings about either cruiseline. Just for me, having such a young child on a cruise would be enough of a challenge. I'd stick with what I liked and knew.

My husband and I had one cruise last year right after I found out I was pregnant and we loved it, we relaxed and enjoyed doing absolutely nothing it was great. We would like to do another cruise next November/December and I can't figure out which is better do the same route on Carnival that we did Progeso/Cozumel 5 day (this would be on the Ecstasy we were on the Triumph), do a 7 day on the Conquest to Belize/Jamaica/Cozumel or try the Norwegian Spirit for 7 days. I need to know what you all think because this time I will have my child who will be 18 months old with us. Which line do you like best? Do you think we should go with the route we know so having the child will sort of be the only change? or do we risk it and try to do a whole new ship/route/carrier? My husband and I realize we will probably just try to find the coolest beach and relax at each port except one where he will Scuba and I will probably stay on board with the little one. What would you do or have you done? Thanks for your advice in advance - Thea

I would choose the Conquest for the following reasons:

1. If cruising with an 18 month old I would choose Carnival over NCL.

2. More days cruising is always better.

3. I LOVE Grand Cayman and like Jamaica MUCH better than I like Progresso.

4. Conquest is a nice ship. I prefer it over the Ecstasy.

5. I LOVE Camp Carnival and they have taken great care of my DS. (They also change diapers which NCL does not.)

It was a kind of scary for me to cruise with my DS for the first time, and it was a way different experience than when it was just us. However, we adjusted and we loved it and we continue to cruise with our now 3 year old. (He's Platinum on Carnival, so you can tell we really like it.) There's great info on these boards about cruising with little ones and reading about the experiences others have had really helped prepare me for taking my DS cruising. You will enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

I think you should book a cruise that has a real nursery on it that specializes in the child care of one that age, Right now only Disney and Royal Caribbean offer this. Carnival has been riddled with major horrifying issues the past year. Personally I would spring for a few extra dollars for a cruiseline that has the onboard staff and medical facilities (for infants) to insure the safety of my most precious possession.

I think you should book a cruise that has a real nursery on it that specializes in the child care of one that age, Right now only Disney and Royal Caribbean offer this. Carnival has been riddled with major horrifying issues the past year. Personally I would spring for a few extra dollars for a cruiseline that has the onboard staff and medical facilities (for infants) to insure the safety of my most precious possession.

I would choose Carnival since they offer group sitting for under 2s in the later evenings, which would allow you some adult time while your child is sleeping.

My toddler received excellent medical care on a Carnival ship - the doctors are ready to care for all ages.

Best,

Mia

Carnival has under 2 time/babysitting from 8-10am on sea days and time of arrval in port to noon on port days and everyday after 10pm. We did the stay and play under 2 time last week and it worked great DS loved playing in the playroom with all the toys! He loved the shows, the singing in the dining room etc. We had a great cruise even though he was under 2!!!!

Wildwanderer,

One thing that no one has brought up, and might be important to know, is that most cruise ships do not allow the non-potty trained children into the pools. Some RCI ships and Disney ships have specialized filtration systems that allow them to have special pools for the non-potty trained. There are plenty of people who do not realize and take (or try to take - sometimes they are turned away) their little ones into the regular pools on other cruise lines, and others who knowingly take their non-potty trained children into the regular pools. Just to warn you, this is a very controversial topic. I only bring it up because if taking your child to the pool on the ship is important to you, it would be good to add that into your equation when choosing a ship. Many people do not realize this and it could be quite shocking to get onboard and find this out.

Archived